Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPVLeaf said:
Thanks for the reference, and all the posts on this and related threads.

It's interesting that last summer when we had an extended stretch of 100°F and over temps in the Inland Empire (So Cal), and I wondered out loud here on MNL if that might be of concern for the battery as I would go to 100% and sit for several hours, several here said "not a problem" since it was still <120°F and I would 'only' reach 7 battery temp bars. Maybe? Maybe not? Safe to say, no one here really knew the answer at that time.

As they say, "When you know better, you do better". :cool:

The 120F Nissan refer to relates to the battery performance warranty only. Hindsight being 20/20 it should not be used as guidance in caring for and feeding our Leaves.

An interview with Thierry Koskas, Renault Program Director for Electric Vehicles..

Batteries will be good for 750 cycles or 5 years of use at 6800 miles a year and will retain 80% of their capacity.. after 2 years the loss will stabilize and the batteries should retain 75% of capacity for 10 years.

http://www.forococheselectricos.com/2011/08/entrevista-thierry-koskas-director-del_09.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TickTock said:
Would be nice but seeing how I'm down to 80% now after 1 year, it seems a stretch to think I will only lose 5% over the next 9.

Any direct talks with Nissan regarding this?

So, in my case, which would be about 1,400 partial cycles, that means I should plan on about four years (15,000 miles a year)... That four year lease is looking better and better...

Herm said:
Batteries will be good for 750 cycles or 5 years of use at 6800 miles a year and will retain 80% of their capacity..

I can't see 750 cycles...if you charge even every other day, that's only 4 years. The number of cycles is dependent on how far in DOD you go. I suppose if you run your battery to turtle everyday and charge it up, you'll get that kind of performance (2 years).

DurkaDurka said:
I can't see 750 cycles...if you charge even every other day, that's only 4 years..
Perhaps you realize this, but please keep in mind that whenever they refer to 'cycles', they typically mean the full available capacity, and by extension range. This gives you an idea of the total mileage, which is a good metric to have. However, nobody in their right mind would follow such a charging protocol. Most of us do partial charges, which then cumulatively add up to full cycles. And as has been mentioned before, batteries tend to last longer on shallow charges when compared to deep cycles. Although this part of the interview might not make sense or add up, it's just a metric, not a recommendation how to treat the battery.

Herm said:
An interview with Thierry Koskas, Renault Program Director for Electric Vehicles..

Batteries will be good for 750 cycles or 5 years of use at 6800 miles a year and will retain 80% of their capacity.. after 2 years the loss will stabilize and the batteries should retain 75% of capacity for 10 years.

http://www.forococheselectricos.com/2011/08/entrevista-thierry-koskas-director-del_09.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With average highs of 88f in July in Madrid, maybe this is possible in Europe. Their battery packs will never get that hot.

It seems that Nissan maybe forced into leasing batteries in hot climates.

TomT said:
So, in my case, that means I should plan on about a little less than 2.5 years (15,000 miles a year)... Leasing is looking better and better...
Herm said:
Batteries will be good for 750 cycles or 5 years of use at 6800 miles a year and will retain 80% of their capacity..

That might just be the Renault capacity warranty, we dont get one at all... note that these cells are made by AESC until they gear up the battery factory in Europe (Somerset?)

Herm said:
TomT said:
So, in my case, that means I should plan on about a little less than 2.5 years (15,000 miles a year)... Leasing is looking better and better...
Herm said:

That might just be the Renault capacity warranty, we dont get one at all... note that these cells are made by AESC until they gear up the battery factory in Europe (Somerset?)

Renault is not selling battery at all, you pay for car and then lease battery. If one is worried about battery life then Renault lease seems safer option, so they could have vested intrestest in scaring EV owners.

RegGuheert said:
September said:
...so they could have vested intrestest in scaring EV owners.
Except for the fact that they own 44% of Nissan. Also, Carlos Ghosn is Chairman & CEO of both companies.

I wouldn't be suprised if Japanese and French factions were competing internally, it even makes sense to bet on two opposite approaches. It is a very strong statetment and I'm not sure if I ever heard anything like that from Nissan.

September said:
Renault is not selling battery at all, you pay for car and then lease battery. If one is worried about battery life then Renault lease seems safer option, so they could have vested intrestest in scaring EV owners.
That's an interesting perspective, but I wouldn't read too much into it. It's simply a different business model, which should lower the upfront cost, and make these cars more competitive. I believe that Nissan wanted to implement something like that in the US as well, but they couldn't do it because of either market expectations or related regulatory requirements.

JPVLeaf said:
surfingslovak said:
JPVLeaf said:
To add to the data pool, I took my Gid-meter this past week to three other Leafs after completing a '100%' charge and got the following:

1. 7.5 mos, 8600 mi., 269 Gids (95.7%), 5x charges/wk from 60% to 100% overnight, Orange Cty.
2. 7 mos, 7500 mi., 269 (95.7%), 4-5x charges/week from ~25% to 100% thru mid-day, San Bern Cty (inland So Cal).
3. 10.5 mos, 10000 mi., 265 (94.3%), 4-5x charges/week from ~40% to 100% thru mid-day, San Bern Cty (inland So Cal).

My charging pattern is closer to #2. Considering my higher mileage, I'm not feeling too bad about my recent 260-265's. But, if a later dip into the 250's doesn't correspond to a rise in the day's temp, .... ;)
Thank you, Richard! JP, any additional details you could share?
1. silver, never turtled, only charges/rides in central/south OC, #90xx
2. black, turtled/died once, mainly inland, SB Cty, #39xx
3. black, never turtled, mainly inland, SB Cty, #11xx

As most here know, it's not really appropriate to conclude a remaining battery capacity based on single readings, as for the above three Leafs. For example, Leaf no. 1 above, has since reached 272. At a minimum, you'll need a history of readings to 100%. Conclusions about battery capacity losses should probably be based on no less than the recent highest readings. For example, based on the recent 272, I'd say that no. 1 has more likely lost no more than 3%. And even then, there's still some uncertainty related to that's battery pack's cell balancing status ....

My data:
I used cool recent weather (65 deg F evening, 62 deg F overnight low), to do a rare test of my 100% charge. Result:
271 gids, or 3.6% loss.
I repeated second night, same result.
My 80% charge point has declined from 82.2% to 80.0%/

11,000 miles, 11.5 months, lowest two SOC events were 7.5% and 12.5%. 5-6 QCs, only one more than 50%. #2500.
Last few months, estimate:
30% nights no charge,
35% nights 80% charge
30% nights 90% charge
5% nights 100% charge

I believe this early capacity loss most of us have observed is some mixture of unavoidable "shelf-life" loss and usage-dependent loss. I don't know what the mixture is, but I am going to get more aggressive in my own effort to minimize the rate of additional loss, because loss of 10% or more in range is going to impact frequent trips that have not needed in-route charge up to now.
My new goals for charging:
30% nights no charge
25% nights charge to 70-75%
35% nights charge to 80%
8% nights charge to 88%
2% nights charge to 92%

When I first finished my SOC meter in late Aug 2011, I never saw more than 274 gids, but with the onset of cooler Fall weather the readings went up, and I hit 281 for most of my winter once-per-month 100% checks. Last 281 was probably February.

Of course we all hope that perhaps the 100% charge has stopped somewhat early because our cells are not perfectly balanced.
Here is my model:
When charging to 100%, the BMS stops the charge when the battery cells reach a pre-determined fixed voltage selected by Nissan, apparently about 95% of the maximum safe voltage. If the 96 cell-pairs are not perfectly balanced, the first pair to reach this voltage stops the charge, leaving other cells at lower voltage.

As the battery's capacity declines, the cells reach the same maximum voltage early, with fewer coulombs of charge, and therefore fewer gids. The bars, the 80% threshold, and the 100% threshold are all tied to fixed voltages, so the pack reaches these points with fewer gids. There is no reason this effect has to be linear, so it is quite possible that there is more loss of gids in the upper bars than the lower bars.

I believe we can check for the unbalanced condition by monitoring the total pack voltage at the 100% charge condition. According to my model, if the pack is balanced at 100% charge, all the cell-pairs will have the maximum allowed voltage, and the total pack voltage displayed by the SOC meter will also be at a fixed maximum that should be the same for everyone. Conversely, the pack will be out-of-balance if and only if the pack total voltage is less than this maximum, because some of the cell-pairs are not at their maximum values.

At my 100% test, the pack voltage was either 394.0V or 394.5V.
My 80% charge point is 387.5V. I would be interested in how these values compare to other folks' voltages.

tbleakne said:
My data:
I used cool recent weather (65 deg F evening, 62 deg F overnight low), to do a rare test of my 100% charge. Result:
271 gids, or 3.6% loss...

When I first finished my SOC meter in late Aug 2011, I never saw more than 274 gids, but with the onset of cooler Fall weather the readings went up, and I hit 281 for most of my winter once-per-month 100% checks. Last 281 was probably February...

RE "3.6% loss", wouldn't it be a good idea to calculate percentage losses, from gid readings, taken at similar temperatures?

You only have a about a 1% gid loss since your highest gid count in late August 2011, right?

Were all those nights significantly warmer, than during your recent 271 result?

Do you have a similar charge temperature gid count recorded from that time (or later) to compare to the present?

Are the 11 bar LEAFs also seeing gid counts variable by temperature?

tbleakne said:
At my 100% test, the pack voltage was either 394.0V or 394.5V.
My 80% charge point is 387.5V. I would be interested in how these values compare to other folks' voltages.
I haven't charged to 100% for about 3 months. When I first got my Gidometer about 8-9 months ago, I had a reading of 224 Gids when charging to 80%. That has now dropped to 221. Last night I charged to 80%, pack voltage reads 387.7 or 387.8. According to your model, my pack is still balanced. This fits with my experience, since I never got more than 224 or 225 Gids on an 80% charge, even after I had charged to 100% and pack was presumably balanced. My loss in 9 months for 80% charging is 3/224 = 1.34%. I doubt I could do any better than that, but will see when I next charge to 100%. I will report Gids and pack voltage at that time.

Just got my GID meter together this weekend, and my latest reading after 100% charge is 239 GIDs (85% of 281). A couple days ago, I read 236 GIDs. I haven't lost a capacity bar, but I am sure I am on the way. The mileage is 12,783 and I've had the leaf for almost exactly 9 months.

I charge daily to 80%, occasionally charging to 100% when I know I need the extra range for some trip. The 100% charge happens perhaps up to 4 times per month. The car is always garaged at night, using an end timer to try and charge during the coolest part of the night. Usually parked in an open parking lot in the middle of the day, which is the best I can do - occasionally, I can get the rare covered parking spot. While parked in the heat, the SOC is typically 6 or 7 bars.

I rarely charge during the day, there is no at-work charging available.

I've got some more bad news - my 100% charge last night only got me 79.0/222 Gids. Though, strangely, still @ 393v. I am on the cusp of this being unacceptable. UNLESS, I suppose, I'm taking the entire 20% loss expected "over 8-10 years" NOW and there won't be any further loss. :?

Edit: Never mind the 393v comment...I just read Tom's post about the 100% and 80% voltages being fixed. That sorta explains it.

I thought there was another post here about my highway efficiency vis-a-vis fuel bar use. I am seeing a very slight loss in miles per bar, but not massive.

Today lost the first one @ 2.2 miles (normal'ish). Second at 9 miles (compared to 11 miles usually). Third at 17 miles (should have been able to get 18 easily). Fourth at 24.5 miles (would normally be aiming for 26 miles out of 4 bars). Think these numbers were artificially aided today in particular by being held down between 55mph and 65mph for a considerable part of the commute, otherwise they may well have been worse.

Back