Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
I no longer use GIDs alone. This morning I was 245 but lost the first 5 GIDs in a mile which tells me that 245 was inflated. My "truer" GID count is probably 240. Not sure what benefit having ahr and health are but it does add more reference points along with batt temps

GIDs have temperature adjustments in the programming (why we see it go up in winter, when clearly, batteries don't hold more energy when colder). GIDs are also adjusted with Open Circuit Voltage (when the battery is disconnected from its load).

One mile at 3.0 miles per kWh economy is 333 watthours per mile consumed / 77.5 watthours per Gid = 4.3 Gids per mile.

Normal stuff.

TonyWilliams said:
GIDs have temperature adjustments in the programming (why we see it go up in winter, when clearly, batteries don't hold more energy when colder).
So far post P3227 update, I have not seen my GID count go up at all with the cooler weather. 193 GIDs at 80% at my last check, has not gone up a single GID since I got the P3227 update in July that I've noticed.

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
GIDs have temperature adjustments in the programming (why we see it go up in winter, when clearly, batteries don't hold more energy when colder).
So far post P3227 update, I have not seen my GID count go up at all with the cooler weather. 193 GIDs at 80% at my last check, has not gone up a single GID since I got the P3227 update in July that I've noticed.

That's great that they have tightened up the temperature corrections.

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:

Neither have I, the Amp Hour numbers are declining at a significantly slower rate, but nothing has increased.

TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I no longer use GIDs alone. This morning I was 245 but lost the first 5 GIDs in a mile which tells me that 245 was inflated. My "truer" GID count is probably 240. Not sure what benefit having ahr and health are but it does add more reference points along with batt temps

GIDs have temperature adjustments in the programming (why we see it go up in winter, when clearly, batteries don't hold more energy when colder). GIDs are also adjusted with Open Circuit Voltage (when the battery is disconnected from its load).

One mile at 3.3 miles per kWh economy is 333 watthours per mile consumed / 77.5 watthours per Gid = 4.3 Gids per mile.

Normal stuff.

normal for u but not for me. Historically, the first 10-15 GIDs seem to go fast but more on the 1.2-1.3 miles for the first 5.

I checked and my average after getting down the road is a rather consistent 245-265 watts/mile but the first 5-15 GIDs seem to run in the 320ish but 5 GIDs in a mile if using your number of 77.5 wh is 387.5 watts/mile which is way beyond what I do normally.

other things to toss in; the first 5 GIDs are driven at mostly under 30 mph. I drive 55 mph and can average in the 250 range all day long

vrwl said:
drees said:
TonyWilliams said:

Neither have I, the Amp Hour numbers are declining at a significantly slower rate, but nothing has increased.

Mine has been different. My numbers are wandering up and down like a flatten sine wave. I started at 58.20 (9/16) or so then declined steadily to 56.82 (10/6) thinking I would lose a bar before Thanksgiving. But since then I have swung up and down a few times a bit less dramatically and this morning I was at 57.37 (going down again) from a recent high of 57.54

Now the Sept date was correlating to what ended up being the end of Summerish weather but at the worst, we had had several days of very fall-like weather. Now I offer this info as data only and not an explanation but if you can make some sense of it, I am listening!

DaveinOlyWA said:
Mine has been different. My numbers are wandering up and down like a flatten sine wave.
That's because you don't have the P3227 update. Slow down and read more carefully, before posting, please.

drees said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Mine has been different. My numbers are wandering up and down like a flatten sine wave.
That's because you don't have the P3227 update. Slow down and read more carefully, before posting, please.
He better have the update, he said he did and results were included in Battery Aging Model calibration:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14275&start=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stoaty said:
drees said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
He better have the update, he said he did and results were included in Battery Aging Model calibration:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14275&start=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In which case he must be referring to GID behavior pre-update. We don't really have enough information to draw any hard conclusions about post-update behavior, but it sure looks like they fixed the seasonality of GID counts.

Well, it finally happened.

I almost posted yesterday because I thought my LEAF was exhibiting some strange behavior.

I went out and got in it, after having it charge to 80% that morning, and it looked like I had 11 bars of charge instead of 10!

I had occasionally seen 80% result in 9 bars, but never 11.

Anyway, when getting into my LEAF this morning to come to work, after charging to 100%, I see what has happened.

I have lost my first capacity bar.

Almost two years from the date of purchase and after 33,345 miles.

I had the P3227 update about two months ago.

I think all of this is in my profile info that appears at the left, but just in case it isn't... I live in Johnson City, TN, driving a 2011 LEAF which I purchased in October of 2011. I have my timers set to continuously charge to 80% whenever I plug it in. That's where it usually stops on weekend nights, because that's all I need. On Mon-Fri though, it's at 80% when I wake up, then I top it off to 100% while I'm getting ready for work. It never sits at 100% more than 30 minutes or so. My round-trip commute is 50 miles if I don't do any additional driving.

I don't have any of the gadgets to measure all of these battery characteristics, but I do know that if I drive on the interstate doing 65-75mph, my current range @ 100% charge is around 65-67 miles. If I take the back roads to and from work doing around 50mph, my current range @ 100% is closer to 75 miles.

I drove 75 miles this past Friday on a single 100% charge. That was pretty much ALL at 50mph or less. I arrived home between low battery warning and very low battery warning with the two blinking lines in place of a range estimate number. The last actual digit I saw before the blinking lines was 4.

kennyboy said:
Well, it finally happened.
Sorry about the loss of your first bar.

I put your information in the online version of Stoaty's battery degradation spreadsheet and it predicts that you would lose your first bar exactly at this point. Nice job, Stoaty! (I used Knoxville, TN, since Johnson City is not in there. Should be close enough.) Have a look at the "Prediction" tab for more details about the model's predictions.

In case the inputs have changed by the time you get to the spreadsheet, here are the settings I used:
City: Knoxville, TN
Miles/kWh: 4.5
Days/Week in Sun: 5.0
Manufacture Date: 7/15/11
Date of Delivery: 11/18/11
Date of Reading: 10/28/11
Actual Capacity (Ah): 55.25
Total Mileage: 33345

tombobcat said:
Lost 2nd CB today, please see signature.
Sorry for the loss. Thanks for the update. It appears you may run out of miles before you lose your forth bar. Hopefully you leased your LEAF.

Again, Stoaty's new version of the battery degradation spreadsheet predicts your loss percentage precisely. Nice job, Stoaty! Have a look at the "Prediction" tab for more details about the model's predictions.

In case the inputs have changed by the time you get to the spreadsheet, here are the settings I used:
City: Anaheim, CA
Miles/kWh: 4.5
Days/Week in Sun: 5.0
Manufacture Date: 2/15/11
Date of Delivery: 5/3/11
Date of Reading: 10/28/13
Actual Capacity (Ah): 51.59
Total Mileage: 46969

RegGuheert said:
tombobcat said:
Lost 2nd CB today, please see signature.
Sorry for the loss. Thanks for the update. It appears you may run out of miles before you lose your forth bar. Hopefully you leased your LEAF.

Thanks, unfortunately I bought the car thinking with 100 mile range after 10 years with 70% left I can still make my commute 60 miles round trip ( I usually keep my car 8 plus year), now with my 2 1/2 years LEAF I can barely make it, and to the point that I have to use my wife ICE car and give the LEAF to my wife. She doesn't drive much and hopefully the with the calendar lost we can make the warranty before running out of miles, what do you think or have any better ideas? Thanks.

tombobcat said:
She doesn't drive much and hopefully the with the calendar lost we can make the warranty before running out of miles, what do you think or have any better ideas? Thanks.
Remove the timers and charge immediately to 100% every time you arrive home..... just in case you need to drive 50 miles ;)

Lost the first capacity bar last week.

City: Arrowbear Lake, CA
Miles/kWh: 4.1
Days/Week in Sun: 2.0
Manufacture Date: ~Feb. 2011
Date of Delivery: 4/20/11
Date of Bar Loss and Reading: 10/22/13
Actual Capacity (Ah): 55.47
Total Mileage: 41,933

Interestingly, the LeafSpy app indicates that the car has been plugged in for charging about 3,000 times!

9hel.png

My 12th bar also vanished as of yesterday. Here are the details.
City: San Mateo, CA
Miles/kWh: 4.2
Days/Week in Sun: 7
Manufacture Date: May 2011
Date of Delivery: August 2011
Date of Bar Loss and Reading: 10/27/13
Actual Capacity (Ah): 55.66
Total Mileage: 33,204
L1/L2= 1230
QC=2

abasile said:
Lost the first capacity bar last week...
Date of Bar Loss and Reading: 10/22/13
Actual Capacity (Ah): 55.47

What is the full or 80% charge Gid reading ?

Do you have the P3227 firmware update?

If your firmware was updated, was in done within the past 30 days?

Back