Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jhm614 said:
RegGuheert said:
We should be getting some instrumented readings from 2013 owners by now, particularly in Pheonix. Unfortunately all we have early on from 2011/2012 owners are reports of bar losses, so comparisons are difficult. Still, it will be interesting to see how the 2013s are faring.
I can't find the post but LeafFan in Phoenix has a 13 and has lost his first bar.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285&p=347591#p347591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; might be the one you are looking for
My AH actually dropped during fall/winter as I lost my first bar in Dec.

or maybe this one http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13776&start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I observed an interesting thing with my 2013 compared to my 2011 pertaining to battery degradation. When my 2011 lost a cb, it was down 20% as my capacity gauge read 80%. Nissan said they 'tweaked' the chemistry in the 2013 bp, but I'm not sure how much it has helped yet because at 54.8 AH I lost my first cb, only 7800 miles/10 mos.
or similar at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8802&p=345912#p345912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was musing over the title of this thread... Remember when being down to 11 bars was a big deal? Now it is something that many of aspire to and can barely remember!

jhm614 said:
I can't find the post but LeafFan in Phoenix has a 13 and has lost his first bar.
dhanson865 said:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285&p=347591#p347591 might be the one you are looking for

or maybe this one http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13776&start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I observed an interesting thing with my 2013 compared to my 2011 pertaining to battery degradation. When my 2011 lost a cb, it was down 20% as my capacity gauge read 80%. Nissan said they 'tweaked' the chemistry in the 2013 bp, but I'm not sure how much it has helped yet because at 54.8 AH I lost my first cb, only 7800 miles/10 mos.
or similar at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8802&p=345912#p345912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, jhm614 and dhanson865.

So it appears that LeafFan has lost a bar after a single summer, just as at least one 2011 LEAF owner experienced in late 2011.

Perhaps it does not have improved battery capacity degradation rates than the 2011/2012s...

Perhaps my memory is failing me (again), but I do not remember reading or hearing anything official that indicated that the 2013 battery was any better at degradation... The chemistry change was apparently for other reasons...

RegGuheert said:
Perhaps it does not have improved battery capacity degradation rates than the 2011/2012s...

RegGuheert said:
jhm614 said:
dhanson865 said:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285&p=347591#p347591 might be the one you are looking for

Thanks, jhm614 and dhanson865.

So it appears that LeafFan has lost a bar after a single summer, just as at least one 2011 LEAF owner experienced in late 2011.

was an early 2013 as well.

DaveinOlyWA said:
was an early 2013 as well.
I was thinking the same thing - the first 2013 LEAFs most likely got with batteries from Japan - it's possible that any chemistry tweaks in Japan are not the same as the ones in Tennessee - or they put in the tweaks later.

At the end of February (one year of two-year lease), I will post the BC %. Right now, with less than three weeks to go, I'm at 84% capacity. So the pack may end up being about 4% better/improvement over the 2011 pack which after one year/10K miles the capacity was 80%.

LEAFfan said:
At the end of February (one year of two-year lease), I will post the BC %. Right now, with less than three weeks to go, I'm at 84% capacity. So the pack may end up being about 4% better/improvement over the 2011 pack which after one year/10K miles the capacity was 80%.

What were the start/end dates for the 2011? Your 2013 obviously benefited from only ONE summer season. In either case, you could make the argument that 4% (or maybe 3% by the time you hit your year) is within the "noise" tolerance; in other words, no real change/improvement in battery chemistry (at least not until the "hot pack").

Lost my first capacity bar today, finally. I suspect I've been flirting with this for quite some time.

Odometer: 48,500 miles
Capacity: 55.16 AHr
Hx: 69.25%

I guess it's time to update my signature... :evil:

uwskier20 said:
Lost my first capacity bar today, finally. I suspect I've been flirting with this for quite some time.

Odometer: 48,500 miles
Capacity: 55.16 AHr
Hx: 69.25%

I guess it's time to update my signature... :evil:

oh oh, must be that "dry Summertime mountain climate" that accelerated your degradation. i think Steve was over 65,000 or so when he lost his but then again, he works on the shores of Hood Canal... marine climates always were amenable to EV power packs...

Stanton said:
What were the start/end dates for the 2011? Your 2013 obviously benefited from only ONE summer season.
One year only contains one summer, no matter when it starts.
Stanton said:
In either case, you could make the argument that 4% (or maybe 3% by the time you hit your year) is within the "noise" tolerance; in other words, no real change/improvement in battery chemistry (at least not until the "hot pack").
Agreed. The bigger factor is that the summer of 2011 was hotter than the summer of 2013. So 20% loss in 2011 versus 16% loss in 2013 is simply not a real improvement.

uwskier20 said:
Lost my first capacity bar today.
Get used to the new look when you charge up. Like a tooth missing... Took me a while to get used to it. Now, of course, I want 2 more gone (see signature).

But that's a whole another story.

ILETRIC said:
uwskier20 said:
Get used to the new look when you charge up. Like a tooth missing... Took me a while to get used to it. Now, of course, I want 2 more gone (see signature).

Yeah, I usually like to look at the gauge with regard to how many bars of charge I've used, and used the capacity tick marks as a way of quickly saying I have, say, 8 out of 12 bars left. Now, without that 12th CB, I'll have to re-calibrate the manner in which I read the display. It'll take a while.

I'd love to get to a point where I'd be covered by the 60K/60mo battery capacity warranty, but it won't happen, since it simply doesn't get hot enough here. Best I can do is see what Nissan offers us with the battery-stealing, renting, leasing, or whatever-you-call-it program. :roll:

enough info here for a 2 bar and 3 bar entry, not sure if it is there yet, the web filter on my work connection now blocks the wiki as 'Suspicious' so i won't be able to update the wiki in my down time any more. I'm just not willing to fight the copy/paste/edit hassle on a 4" screen on my phone. If no one else picks it up I might come back to it days/weeks later.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16085" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sksingh said:
Lost my third bar this morning [edit by dhanson865 on the 9th, the post was from Sat Mar 8th 2014], here are the details:

Mileage: 35989
AHr: 47.47
SOH: 72%
Hx: 65.77%
QC: 16
L1/L2: 1726

This is what I had to do to counter this loss:

1. Limit my max driving speed to 65 mph
2. Try to drive at 55 mph when possible
3. Skip driving to lunch
4. Avoid carpool lanes whenever possible

With careful driving I commute 46 miles RT without VLB warning.

Bars: 10 July2013
Mileage: 29,478 (30Aug2013)
La Mirada, CA

Just noticed I lost my second capacity bar sometime this weekend.

Capacity = 50.3545
Health = 57.53
175 GIDs @79%

Thought I would lose it when the weather got warmer, and I guess it got (a little) warmer. I don't think I'll have any trouble qualifying for a new battery under warranty sometime next year.

Stanton said:
Just noticed I lost my second capacity bar sometime this weekend.

Capacity = 50.3545
Health = 57.53
175 GIDs @79%

Thought I would lose it when the weather got warmer, and I guess it got (a little) warmer. I don't think I'll have any trouble qualifying for a new battery under warranty sometime next year.

Stanton,
How long was it between the loss of your first and second bars?

vrwl said:
Stanton,

Last summer, so about 9 months. I can't believe I didn't make a blog post about it, but I took the dates from pics of the LeafDD display on my website.

Stanton said:
vrwl said:
Stanton,

Last summer, so about 9 months. I can't believe I didn't make a blog post about it, but I took the dates from pics of the LeafDD display on my website.

Well, we're permanently leaving Texas for northeast Pennsylvania in 2 weeks, so I'm REALLY hoping the cooler weather puts a drastic crimp in the speed of bar losses on my car. Since I just lost my first bar a month and a half ago, I'm hoping the second bar might not happen until maybe the summer of 2015. (crossing fingers)

Back