Car Color Affects Efficiency/Range - Article

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the reverse is true for us in colder climates where black will require less use of the heater.

I think the critical language in the study is the "up to". That's usually another way of saying "generally there is no difference." :lol: I have white but I doubt it gives me an more real world range. It is, however, less likely to burn you on a hot summer day.

I'd put money down that window tinting has a much larger impact on cabin temperature than exterior color. And I did, when I got my windows tinted :) Cabin temp stays much more constant and cooler in the sun.

Duh. Why does ABG repost the same info we have know about for years and years. Hotter car = more AC and lower MPG. Tinted windows = less AC and better MPG. Groundbreaking common sense news :roll:

EVDRIVER said:
Duh. Why does ABG repost the same info we have know about for years and years. Hotter car = more AC and lower MPG. Tinted windows = less AC and better MPG. Groundbreaking common sense news :roll:
They are probably trying to drive traffic to their site for advertising. This daring fireball post describes the practice: http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/07/27/news-site-design" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your car is painted in safety yellow, with a broad international orange racing stripe, you will get fewer rear end impacts while cruising at 55mph down a California freeway. Look it up, I dare you.

I hope you noticed that it said parked outside in the sun for an hour. There are so many variables besides the color of the car. I'm willing to bet any amount of money that someone with a 'Glacier Pearl' will see no more difference in 'mileage' between a 'Cayenne Red' or 'Ocean Blue' IF the last two colors are kept out of the sun while outside. If I'm going to park the car for any length of time (i.e. wife is shopping), I just park in the shade...problem solved. So that 5% reflection is only valid with black cars sitting in the sun for an hour or more.

I do not mind hot, but do not like cold I think black is best for me. Great that Leaf have more efficient AC than heater, but I do not think even black will help to keep car warmer during winter

The exterior color won't help at all. As others mentioned, window tinting makes a HUGE difference! In winter I try to park with my windshield facing south so if the sun shines I might get a little extra warmth. It's noticeable if the sky is clear and the wind isn't too bad (if you can warm yourself in the winter sun, then you can absolutely warm your car).

Although some vehicles, like larger trucks and buses, will get hotter with dark roofs compared to white roofs. It's a function of surface area and a general lack of insulation in the roof that helps. For a typical car, though? Not enough of a difference to worry about. Window tinting and interior color are far more relevant.
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
As others mentioned, window tinting makes a HUGE difference! In winter I try to park with my windshield facing south so if the sun shines I might get a little extra warmth.
=Smidge=

Interesting, I thought I was the only person to park my car with respect to the setting sun :) In fact I point my car facing west to catch the setting sun prior to leaving work. Now after the clock change this coming weekend I don't think it will make that much difference :-(

In the summer I face the vehicle east so the window tint keeps the sun out towards the end of the day prior to me leaving work.

Herm said:
If your car is painted in safety yellow, with a broad international orange racing stripe, you will get fewer rear end impacts while cruising at 55mph down a California freeway. Look it up, I dare you.
+1

Besides being *very* visible, nobody wants to be seen next to you, giving a natural 'buffer zone' around your car :lol:

Back