Car Rental Coverage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnover

I just had a situation where the Leaf was accidentally run into while parked. The Farmers agent offered $25/day for an Enterprise rental minus gas charges. Having an ICE second vehicle available, I asked for an alternative - $5/day towards gas while the Leaf is in the shop rather than $25/day. It was accepted. Both Farmers and I come out better with this. :)

Nice. Is the gas allowance unique to EV owners, or is that typical? Luckily haven't had to file an insurance claim in recent years.

I would suspect that anyone that has a second car available would be able to arrange something like this. Why wouldn't the insurance company want to pay you $5-$10 per day for gas on another vehicle the person already has instead of $25 or more per day on a car rental. I would request $10/day since my backup vehicle is an 11 year old pickup that only gets 12 mpg. That makes my daily consumption just to work and back home (no lunch breaks or errands on the way home) about $7.50 per day.

If the insurance company doesn't accept your offer, assuming your backup vehicle gets better gas mileage than the rental, take the rental car anyways and just park it a block away from the rental company for the length of the rental, driving your own vehicle instead. :)

Back