Carwings - fewer charging stations shown on 2nd Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgaydos

Hi,

We have a 2012 Leaf SL with everything working nicely. This week we added a second Leaf SL - actually a "new" 2011 that had been a dealer demo from another state. The was in an area with very low EV demand and the dealer price was absurdly cheap.

The car arrived yesterday in great shape, but with a few electronic functions not quite right. Today took it to a local dealer who found that none of the "recalls" or "updates" had been applied by the previous dealer and since then everything on the 2011 functions exactly as the 2012 (minus heated seats and steering wheel, of course :) ) with one exception. The 2012 shows a fairly large number of charging stations in our area (Colorado Springs) including quite a few nearby private chargers. The 2012 also remembers any level 2 charger you connect it to. The 2011 shows only charging stations at the two Nissan dealers in town and doesn't remember any other level 2 charger it is connected to - not even our home charger.

I was on the phone with 1-800-Nissan-1 about another issue (turned out to be a simple case of needing a SiriusXM reset) and asked about this one. He said he'd heard stories of older models not showing as many charging stations.

I've googled around and searched this and other forums but found nothing on this. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

There are some menu settings that may affect this. Touch the blue Zero emission button, then settings, then make sure "Map icons for charging stations" is turned on. Touch "Other Settings" from that screen and make sure "Autosave New Charging Station" and "Auto-Update Stations" are both turned on. There are other settings such as charging messages and battery & power alerts that you may want to configure to match the way you have the 2012 set.

After saving all of these settings, you may also want to touch "Update Stations" from the main menu and update stations near home and any frequent destinations.

Good luck and enjoy the new car.
Gerry

GerryAZ said:
There are some menu settings that may affect this. Touch the blue Zero emission button, then settings, then make sure "Map icons for charging stations" is turned on. Touch "Other Settings" from that screen and make sure "Autosave New Charging Station" and "Auto-Update Stations" are both turned on. There are other settings such as charging messages and battery & power alerts that you may want to configure to match the way you have the 2012 set.

After saving all of these settings, you may also want to touch "Update Stations" from the main menu and update stations near home and any frequent destinations.

Thanks for the reply! Alas, I've tried all those - every setting is as it should be - I just retested to make sure. I also, based on some comments on other threads, tried forcing Carwings into manual update mode and submitted an update request - no new stations although a Walgreen's EV charger is within range.

One surprise though is that when I started the car just now my home charger did show up on the map. I have no idea why this happened this time and not any of the 3 previous times the car was connected to the home charger.

Just to close this thread, I never did solve this issue. Then, one day, I started our 2011 LEAF and a ton of new charging stations loaded.

Now, the funny thing is this. Our 2012 LEAF had been in the shop for the heating coil replacement and as a result the saved charging stations had been wiped out and when I first started it loaded the whole bunch of charging stations on the first go. Then the 2011 LEAF did the same the first time I used it later that day.

You think these would be disjoint events EXCEPT that we have one Carwings login for both cars. Having spent way too many decades in the software industry this smells exactly like the kind of corner-case software bug that gets through QA testing. First one LEAF is added and initialized, then a second LEAF added at which point not all of the "new LEAF" updates are made. Then when a reset occurs and all is fixed.

Not worth pursuing, but documenting here for posterity.

The charging stations are updated around your "home" location in the navi system. Was there any correlation in timing for when the 2011 updated the charging stations and when you entered your home address in the navi?

kovalb said:
The charging stations are updated around your "home" location in the navi system. Was there any correlation in timing for when the 2011 updated the charging stations and when you entered your home address in the navi?

Good question, but no correlation at all. I put in the home address on the day the local dealer got Carwings working on our 2011 LEAF, March 7. The mass update of charging stations occurred on the same day I got the 2012 LEAF back from the dealer, April 5.

For the record I tried all kinds of variations in the Navi system to get the charge stations to update, so the locality of the home should not have been an issue.

Back