CBS aired Launch Activities Tonight

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipemajor

On their national broadcast, saying "Electric cars are here." They showed both the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf but erroneously reported the Volt will charge the battery when the gas engine kicks in.

prberg said:
Why is that incorrect? I thought that was how the Volt worked?

The ICE also drives the wheels directly under certain potentially frequently occurring circumstances, which has led to some criticism of the claim that it is any more of an EV than, say, a plug in Prius. See the Wiki article for an explanation of the drivetrain.

Looks like 5:30 here PDT. DVR set... if it records nothing but static when the LEAF segment comes up I am going to be very creeped out.

I do understand that the ICE can drive the wheels. But what is incorrect with the statement that 'the Volt will charge the battery when the gas engine kicks in"? Isn't that a correct statement? We know that the volt is basically another type of hybrid. But the gas engine's main job is the provide power to the traction battery right?

-Peter

prberg said:
I do understand that the ICE can drive the wheels. But what is incorrect with the statement that 'the Volt will charge the battery when the gas engine kicks in"? Isn't that a correct statement? We know that the volt is basically another type of hybrid. But the gas engine's main job is the provide power to the traction battery right?

As I understand it, the ICE does not charge the battery so much as keep the state of charge between 25% and 30%. I guess it technically charges the battery but it's not going to run the engine until the battery is topped off.

The result is you get ~40 miles of battery-only diving and the majority of driving afterward is direct/indirect gas powered driving with battery assist.
=Smidge=

prberg said:

-Peter

Once the Volt's traction battery runs out - the engine is only supply enough power to keep the car moving forward - not enough to recharge the battery. Once you run the battery down to zero - you need to find a place to recharge by plugging in - the ICE won't put more charge into the battery then it takes to keep moving the car forward, as least as far as I understand it.

My favorite part of the piece was the reporter driving the Volt but saying it was "out of charge now... and still going (on gas)"! Do you ever get the feeling that some people just don't know what an EV is?!?

TRONZ said:
My favorite part of the piece was the reporter driving the Volt but saying it was "out of charge now... and still going (on gas)"! Do you ever get the feeling that some people just don't know what an EV is?!?
Yeah, that's like the old blond joke about "How can my account be out of money ? I still have checks."

prberg said:
But what is incorrect with the statement that 'the Volt will charge the battery when the gas engine kicks in"? Isn't that a correct statement?

When the engine is generating power, it's in "Charge Sustaining" mode. This isn't charging, but maintaining the low state of charge in the battery.

If it charged the battery, then what would be the point of plugging it in? It would already be charged. Like a Prius. :)

When the Volt's ICE runs and the generator is producing electricity, some (usually not all) will be used for driving, and the remainder WILL be used to charge the battery.

When the battery gets "full enough" (lower limit in the "regular" charge-sustaining mode, a much higher limit in "mountain" mode), the ICE will usually shut off until the battery is drained down to a "lower" limit, then the ICE comes on again.

While the ICE is trying to re-charge the battery, it must be generating MORE than is needed for driving (usually possible), but if you accelerate enough or go up a sufficiently steep grade, it is quite possible that the Volt will need energy from BOTH the battery AND the generator to handle the added drive "load".

Congrats, everyone...Government Motors not only has the press hyponitized but they've got 'us' under their spell as well.

Why do I care about the GM hybrid again? :?

AndyH said:
Congrats, everyone...Government Motors not only has the press hyponitized but they've got 'us' under their spell as well.

Why do I care about the GM hybrid again? :?

I thought it was Gasoline Motors?!?!

Back