Changes in 2012's that were not announced?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weatherman said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
I too have been unable to find any way to turn off the VSP, so seemingly that function was eliminated. There's still an indicator in the middle of the dash with a glyph that suggests VSP turned off, along with turning off the passenger airbag. I suppose I could try RTFM some more, but didn't see anything so far.

I read the manual, and with the 2012s you, definitely, can not turn it off. I would love to be able to, if I could. The first mod I made to my Prius was to turn the backup beep off. I'd definitely turn the LEAF's backup beep off and the forward motion swirly whiney stuff off, too.

So the VSP off indicator on the dash must be relic from the 2011 model.

Those sounds have to be coming from speaker-like devices somewhere. I saw a posting somewhere about a rather complex circuit to keep turning the sound off, but seems that wouldn't even work on the 2012. You'd think it could be accomplished by just unplugging some noise maker component.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Weatherman said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
I too have been unable to find any way to turn off the VSP, so seemingly that function was eliminated. There's still an indicator in the middle of the dash with a glyph that suggests VSP turned off, along with turning off the passenger airbag. I suppose I could try RTFM some more, but didn't see anything so far.

I read the manual, and with the 2012s you, definitely, can not turn it off. I would love to be able to, if I could. The first mod I made to my Prius was to turn the backup beep off. I'd definitely turn the LEAF's backup beep off and the forward motion swirly whiney stuff off, too.

So the VSP off indicator on the dash must be relic from the 2011 model.

Those sounds have to be coming from speaker-like devices somewhere. I saw a posting somewhere about a rather complex circuit to keep turning the sound off, but seems that wouldn't even work on the 2012. You'd think it could be accomplished by just unplugging some noise maker component.
Seeing as how the 'noise-maker' is there to warn blind pedestrians, kids and the like, that it only works at lowish speeds, and that it's required by the government for these reasons, why would anyone want to turn it off? Is it really that distressing to anyone that it's worth the extra risk? I'm puzzled by this. Of course, I'm so deaf now that I couldn't hear it anyway, so maybe it really is that annoying.

GRA said:
... Seeing as how the 'noise-maker' is there to warn blind pedestrians, kids and the like, that it only works at lowish speeds, and that it's required by the government for these reasons, why would anyone want to turn it off? Is it really that distressing to anyone that it's worth the extra risk? I'm puzzled by this. Of course, I'm so deaf now that I couldn't hear it anyway, so maybe it really is that annoying.
Yeah, I was a bit down on it until I almost nailed a pedestrian in a parking lot. I had turned off the VSP, and was waiting for the car on my right to back out and leave before I did so. While I was waiting this fellow steps up and waits in my driver's side blind spot for the other car, having no clue my car was running. He and I both started to move at the same time...luckily I didn't accelerate much, just started to roll a little bit. I now leave it on except for early mornings in my own driveway.

davewill said:
GRA said:
... Seeing as how the 'noise-maker' is there to warn blind pedestrians, kids and the like, that it only works at lowish speeds, and that it's required by the government for these reasons, why would anyone want to turn it off? Is it really that distressing to anyone that it's worth the extra risk? I'm puzzled by this. Of course, I'm so deaf now that I couldn't hear it anyway, so maybe it really is that annoying.
Yeah, I was a bit down on it until I almost nailed a pedestrian in a parking lot. I had turned off the VSP, and was waiting for the car on my right to back out and leave before I did so. While I was waiting this fellow steps up and waits in my driver's side blind spot for the other car, having no clue my car was running. He and I both started to move at the same time...luckily I didn't accelerate much, just started to roll a little bit. I now leave it on except for early mornings in my own driveway.

for the same reason, I am glad to have the option to turn it off, but I almost never do.
the car is just too quiet and I know how much I rely on my ears when cycling.

I have the cold weather package for the 2011 model, but I was digging around for an air vent in the back seat and couldn't find one. Maybe I missed it, but could another feature for 2012 be the air vents in the back seat?

Electric4Me said:
kevin672 said:
+1 on the WheelSkins. I've not installed one on my LEAF but I've put them on 3 other cars. Great leather steering wheel cover. You can find them from other retailers for less than buying direct from WheelSkins.
I just placed my order with WheelSkins directly. The sale price was less than I found elsewhere, and I'd get it by the weekend. (Made and shipped locally (Berkeley)).
I found out why I got a sale price: it wasn't the manufacturer's website, but an authorized dealer's website I was on: http://www.wheelskinscover.com/
Note that I first tried to check out on the website using Google Checkout and it seemed to work...but didn't process the payment. It could just be an issue at my end, but I then switched to Paypal and it went through fine.

Edit: sorry, this has really gone off-topic... Perhaps a Mod can move it.

The VSP switch can probably be retrofitted. My '12 Leaf do have the VSP switch. The middle of the lower three switches.

I suspect that the ECU pin and functionality is still there, just the switch is missing. I'm waiting for someone to start selling a 2012 Leaf Service CD with schematics before I start playing.

As requested, here is a picture of the perforated leather steering wheel cover I added as per my description some messages back. I'm very happy with it. It fits well, is much cooler in summer and warmer in winter than the stock plastic wheel, and the ten and two positions are in the appropriate places and very comfortable to the hands. Much nicer all the way around (pun unintentional) than the non-CWP factory wheel.

10off61.jpg

Definitely! It feels better, has more grip and tactile feedback, and is cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Plus, I simply like the look of it.

Boomer23 said:
Nice looking, Tom. Are you happy that you chose the perforated option?

reeler said:
I have the cold weather package for the 2011 model, but I was digging around for an air vent in the back seat and couldn't find one. Maybe I missed it, but could another feature for 2012 be the air vents in the back seat?
The "rear seat heat" duct is actually under the front of the passenger seat (the air exits in frt of the front seat)
there is no pathway or tube under the seat to the rear
its a real high quality unit :roll:

no way any air gets to the rear seats from that duct, its just more air for the pass frt seat

total joke

kmp647 said:
reeler said:
The "rear seat heat" duct is actually under the front of the passenger seat (the air exits in frt of the front seat)

no way any air gets to the rear seats from that duct, its just more air for the pass frt seat

total joke
Are you sure about that? Usually they're hard to see, but what you describe cannot be called a rear seat duct by a sane individual/company.

kmp647 said:

total joke

That would explain why I couldn't find it in my 2011. I suppose the 2012 is similarly mis-described as having rear heat ducts.

BTW: My kids love the rear heated seats. The Leaf is the preferred car of our three in Denver these days.

evnow said:
Yodrak said:
Embellishment for the sake of effect doesn't advance one's point of view.

evnow said:
... skinning them alive ...

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_skinned-alive-for-leather_1078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calling someone out for "Embellishment" when you can do a simple web search is not very smart.

"They skin the calves alive, as that yields the softest and most expensive leather, and then they throw the bleeding carcasses into the marshes," said IDA activist Kiran Indulkar.

Looks like "Embellished" by the India reporter as well. I grew up on a dairy and a month old calf is not going to let you skin it alive with out considerable physical exertion just to subdue the animal. Calves are able to walk within 30 minutes of birth and can easily outrun a human teenager later in the day. I don't have to research that - personal experience from being out of breath. While the web makes it easy to find information, it also makes it easy to say anything you like.

I am pretty sure about the rear seat duct or lack of one on my 2012

There are pics here somewhere of the poor fit of the all weather mat over the duct

It show the exit, it's in frt of the frt pass seat

Maybe someone can post a pic

evnow said:
Yodrak said:
Embellishment for the sake of effect doesn't advance one's point of view.

evnow said:
... skinning them alive ...

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_skinned-alive-for-leather_1078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calling someone out for "Embellishment" when you can do a simple web search is not very smart.

"They skin the calves alive, as that yields the softest and most expensive leather, and then they throw the bleeding carcasses into the marshes," said IDA activist Kiran Indulkar.

There would never be soft expensive leather in a Leaf. Have you seen Nissan leather? The calves are safe regardless of the accuracy of this claim.

Nissan Leather comes from cows that have committed suicide due to depression over their old age and looks... :lol:

BlueSL said:
There would never be soft expensive leather in a Leaf. Have you seen Nissan leather? The calves are safe regardless of the accuracy of this claim.

GRA said:
Seeing as how the 'noise-maker' is there to warn blind pedestrians, kids and the like, that it only works at lowish speeds, and that it's required by the government for these reasons, why would anyone want to turn it off? Is it really that distressing to anyone that it's worth the extra risk? I'm puzzled by this. Of course, I'm so deaf now that I couldn't hear it anyway, so maybe it really is that annoying.

I turn it off when parking in the alley behind my house late at night as a courtesy. My neighbors don't need to hear the reverse beep, and the situation is such that there's no way I'm going to be surprised by pedestrians or kids. Same thing early in the morning.

Thank you! For both sharing the personal experience and for pointing out that the reference deals specifically with India. :)

Nekota said:
Looks like "Embellished" by the India reporter as well. I grew up on a dairy and a month old calf is not going to let you skin it alive with out considerable physical exertion just to subdue the animal. Calves are able to walk within 30 minutes of birth and can easily outrun a human teenager later in the day. I don't have to research that - personal experience from being out of breath. While the web makes it easy to find information, it also makes it easy to say anything you like.

Back