Charge timer question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sulfate125

I have been trying to use the charge timer on my 2013 Leaf S, but cannot get it to work at all. have been through the forums. I program the timer with the two buttons and then turn the car off. When I plug in the charger, it starts charging immediately and it appears that the timer has been shut off. Have been through a bunch of different sequences and cannot get it to keep the timer on after the car is turned off. If I leave the car on, the car will not charge. Is there a software update that did not happen? What am I missing?

^To start, did you turn the timer "on"? (Page CH-25 in the manual). You need to do that in addition to setting the time (you can then turn it on or off without changing the time you have set.) If that isn't it, then:

How long does the car charge when you plug it in? It is supposed to charge for a few seconds to determine the voltage and amperage of the EVSE so that the car can calculate how long it will need to charge. Then it should turn off and the three dash lights will flash in sequence for several minutes to show that the charge timer is on and that all is well with the connection.

Is that what is happening? Or is the EVSE charge light on and only a single dash light is flashing to show actual charging (which light is flashing depends on how full the battery is).

Are you charging at 120 Volts (Level 1) or at 240 Volts (Level 2)? If the former, Level 1 charging is very slow and it may be that the end time you set is within the charge time the car calculates it will need. If you are charging at Level 2 and the end time you set is many hours away from when you plug-in, then perhaps the charge timer isn't set correctly as you suggest. Do you have your AM and PM right?

(Sorry if these seem like basic questions, but without more details it is hard to diagnose your problem.)

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

The timer was turned on and then the timer was set. The odd thing is that after I turn on the timer and set the time, the timer is on. But when I then turn off the car and as it is turning off, it says charge timer off.

After plugging it in The car charged for at least a minute. I tried it several times last night. Then I left it to fully charge and it was done in the morning. Did not see the 3 light flashing sequence, only the regular charging flashing lights.

Using a 220V 30A charger. I reset the clock to military time after having no luck with AM and PM.

Sorry, again basic things to be sure of-

As stated, on the Nav, the timer button should be lit for the timer you are using (press for ON/OFF).
After setting the times, press SAVE TIMER.
Check Assign days window and set as desired. Press OK.
From the window that shows times/ days and % of charge, press YES.
The next window should show times, day, % charge and the timer you are using lit (orange light next to the label).

Hope you just missed one of these steps.

Will check again this evening. The timer on this is very simple. 2013S. If there is an on button, I do not know where it is. No Nav system.

I seem to have solved the problem. In order to get the charge timer engaged, I needed to cycle through the functions after turning it on. Just turning it on or off does not make the change. Thanks for the help.

Back