ChargePoint America Free Home Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad has an EVSE through this program, but he has a Volt. He's had the EVSE for about a year now and his experience having it installed was much smoother than most people's Ecotality/Blink experiences. Chargepoint covered the entire installation cost and wiring and the EVSE works absolutely flawlessly both with his Volt and my Leaf. Shame they didn't get the contract for Leaf owners too.

My understanding is that this project is separate from the EV Project/Ecotality and provides only free equipment, not installation. I live in the Sacramento, CA area and have already been approved but that's as far as I've gotten. Just wondering if anyone else has entered/completed the process for this particular program.

kimbapooch said:
My understanding is that this project is separate from the EV Project/Ecotality and provides only free equipment, not installation. I live in the Sacramento, CA area and have already been approved but that's as far as I've gotten. Just wondering if anyone else has entered/completed the process for this particular program.
My dad's installation was covered through Chargepoint America. He didn't pay anything for the EVSE or installation.

kimbapooch said:
I'm about to get a 6.6 kW EVSE installed through this program by virtue of having leased an ActiveE. I have to agree with Devin: the quote, the management of the program, the equipment itself are all better than anything I have seen so far. That being said, I spoke to the program coordinator in Washington DC, and the customer service manager at Nissan about this last year. What I've learned was that the Leaf is not qualified for ChargePoint America where I live, and there were no plans to change that. It's also worth noting that although the program comes with a $1200 grant to cover installation and permitting costs in California, this offset is not offered in New Jersey for example. The program likely varies a lot from locale to locale.

Last time I checked, Michigan is on the list, but only if you have a Karma, Volt, Transit Connect, and a few others. No LEAF.

But DTE and Consumers Energy both offer free installation, EVSE, meter, and separate panel up to $2500. That should cover all costs.

Charge point is sending onsite evaluator to review installation.Charger is 40 amp capable and comes with a vfd display and notification of status via cellular data network.Charger retails for 2500 on chargepoint website,and program is offering up to 1200 for installation.Program is federally funded to collect data on electric vehicle charging habits.Unit reverts to home owner at end of test period.Will let you all know how this process proceeds ...kpc

Duke Energy has the ChargePoint at $1,000 off. If your electrical panel is close to the charging location, then it's free.

Solar city came out this morning and surveyed site for install complexity..took lots of pictures ,said it would be standard install.Only surprise,unit has to be installed no higher than 48 in due to ada act requirements.I will probably be bumping into thing...k

I signed up for the program in Austin. It took a couple of weeks and some prodding emails to Coulumb but I finally received a call from a Verdek representative who told me I would receive a call form an electrician to survey my panel so he could provide a quote. After one no-show from the local electrician and a prodding phone call, I finally got a service manager to my house to let me know how easy it would be to install the EVSE in my garage (I already told the Verdek guy the same thing).

Two days later, I received the installation quote from Verdek, $190 labor, $240 parts, and $280 Overhead Costs. Total $710 + tax. My email back to Verdek was something like, "really, THAT much for making a few phone calls?"

Austin Energy offers 50% off install but it is a shame they can't put pressure on the suppliers to lower the costs of the installs because so their program could be more cost effective by increasing the amount installs they rebate.

I am in north Austin and just got the same quote. I told the verdek guy I just wanted it mounted to the wall and plugged into my existing 14-50r that has a dedicated 40A breaker. The reply i got was that "the station cannot use any receptacle" and the estimate is final and payment must be made up front. This all seems very fishy to me and I am taking it up with the CPA people.

Chgpoint unit installed and working.Solarcity people did a very professional install by running dedicated 40 amp line breaker to garage.My costs were for permit fees only...whole process very smooth and I love the scrolling vfd display.Unit appears to be very nice design..kpc

I was able to get my quote down to under 400 dollars by having my own electrician pre-run the conduit and wire from the existing receptacle to the new charger location. This changed my install type from a "Simple install with less than 20ft or cable run" to a "Charger replacement" which cut the price in half. I am still waiting on installation but will post more info once the install is complete. I would highly recommend anyone who gets a high quote have their own electrician do as much work as possible. I was told replacement rates run from 350 - 500 dollars depending on the permit cost charged by the city.

Thinwing said:
Chgpoint unit installed and working.Solarcity people did a very professional install by running dedicated 40 amp line breaker to garage.My costs were for permit fees only...whole process very smooth and I love the scrolling vfd display.Unit appears to be very nice design..kpc

May I ask where you are located? I am in Sacramento and Solar City did the evaluation today and I am waiting for the cost estimate. I believe I have a simple install (panel has free space, is directly through garage wall, and cable run is less than 20', so I am hoping that the cost if for permit fees only. Solar City said the $1,200 installation credit is no longer available, and that it is $600 now. Was that what you were told also?

Back