Chargepoint at LAX... the only way to fly.. almost

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to post that I made another trip out to LAX this weekend. Hypermiled it on the way there so I'd have more options in case charging wasn't available. When I got to Lot 1, an L1 was available. I used my extension cord and my L1 EVSE and started charging. I used a padlock on the L1. When I got back, the car was fully charged and when I put it into ECO mode it said I had 119 "miles" of range :mrgreen:

Question ahead... I put up my courtesy charging protocol card. But I don't think it really could have been shared:
- The Chargepoint would not open until I ended charging
- My L1 was padlocked so could not be removed from the car

But someone could have disconnected my L1 from my extension cord. Would they have been able to use it though?

Edited to add: When leaving the structure, the guy in the car behind me was pretty upset and animated that it was taking so long. One of the attendants finally told him to back up and go in another line since there is some paperwork that needs to be done for electric cars. I hope LAX streamlines this process soon.

I saw a sign for electric vehicle charging station pointing to remote lot c at LAX, off of sepulveda just west of the park 1 lot.
is that a relic from the old days, or active?

I know it is not convenient or indoors like the lot 1 and 6 spots, but if it has chargers, some might prefer it.

We got to lax lot 1 early for flight out today worried we would not find a spot. There were lots of spaces. Leafs like to cluster together. We counted 12 counting us and one tesla all lined up onthe inside with 5 more and a volt outside. I guess we like to be together! Free parking! Great!

Kataphn said:
We got to lax lot 1 early for flight out today worried we would not find a spot. There were lots of spaces. Leafs like to cluster together. We counted 12 counting us and one tesla all lined up onthe inside with 5 more and a volt outside. I guess we like to be together! Free parking! Great!

Finding a spot to park is not a problem...finding a spot to charge is.

lettcco said:
Kataphn said:

Finding a spot to park is not a problem...finding a spot to charge is.
On a holiday weekend our concern was finding just a place to park.

Christmas Day.. Headed to Los Angeles International (LAX) airport to pick up someone. Must have been 75 LEAFS in Parking lot 1. What a joke having 2 chargers. Something has to change! Nice getting free parking, but what is the point when they all cannot plug in. The last time I was there, Parking Lot 6 was also full of LEAFS with no place to plug in.

When it was time to leave, the attendant asked for my ID, then I had to wait while the one person on break who knows how to process LEAFs came back. You would think by now it would be routine. It was worth having the $9 waived though.

Wishing you all a great Holiday Season

laalan said:
Christmas Day.. Headed to Los Angeles International (LAX) airport to pick up someone. Must have been 75 LEAFS in Parking lot 1. What a joke having 2 chargers. Something has to change! Nice getting free parking, but what is the point when they all cannot plug in. The last time I was there, Parking Lot 6 was also full of LEAFS with no place to plug in.

When it was time to leave, the attendant asked for my ID, then I had to wait while the one person on break who knows how to process LEAFs came back. You would think by now it would be routine. It was worth having the $9 waived though.

Wishing you all a great Holiday Season
I was one of those 75 over the weekend. I must say it was rather smooth process and a wonderful benefit. I tried to use the Chargepoint L1 with 100' extension cord but it kept saying ground fault. I will need to check the cords at home or could it be the length? Anyway I made the 80 mile round trip with no trouble. Could have made the full 90 miles but needed to meet family for lunch during the return trip so we gathered at South Coast Plaza. Grabbed a free 40 miles while we ate and goofed around.

It would be nice if 100+ standard 120v 15a outlets could be added. My car was there 7 days so speed is not near as important as a reliable connection.

Stopped by once again today 12/30 to drop of niece. A miracle occured. A parking space and a considerate Ocean Blue LEAFite with a note on the charger that it could be unplugged 12/29 ( yesterday ). I did notice that among the two chargers, only 1 J1772 was available. The other one was missing from the charger. Very odd.

Still many Leafs at the airport. It is the most Leafs I have ever seen in one place.

I also noticed one of the other LEAFS had a long extension cord to the L1 with a note also that he could be unplugged when done.

Awesome courtesy. More spaces needed though.

Healthy happy new year to all!

smkettner said:
laalan said:
Christmas Day.. Headed to Los Angeles International (LAX) airport to pick up someone. Must have been 75 LEAFS in Parking lot 1. What a joke having 2 chargers. .

It would be nice if 100+ standard 120v 15a outlets could be added. My car was there 7 days so speed is not near as important as a reliable connection.

Hadn't thought about that - we don't really need EVSEs at the airport just a bunch of reliable plug ins (and some cheap clean energy)

Was in P6 this morning dropping someone off at the airport. A bunch of Leafs were parked in EV spaces on the ground level blocking older chargers. Not nice to drivers of older EVs and plain stupid - you can park anywhere as they don't ask you where you were parked on exit when giving you a fee waiver.

Valdemar said:
Was in P6 this morning dropping someone off at the airport. A bunch of Leafs were parked in EV spaces on the ground level blocking older chargers. Not nice to drivers of older EVs and plain stupid - you can park anywhere as they don't ask you where you were parked on exit when giving you a fee waiver.
Parked there several times, and never used an EV spot, as I am close enough to not need one. Agree with your sentiments.

Unfortunately the website is poorly worded and is much narrower than actual policy.

Electric Vehicle Parking
Free parking is available for electric vehicles only at charging stations located in the lower/arrivals level of Parking Structures 1 and 6 for up to a maximum of 30 days per visit.

You'd think with all the LEAFs parked there the tellers would be a little more clued in to the drill. We were parked 11 days - $300+ - the teller called over a supervisor, the supervisor called someone on the phone and there was an audible gasp when they said to let us go, and then another quick are you sure? Off we went. There must have been 40 LEAFs in P1 - a few RAVs and a Roadster.

Don't know how much longer this free parking will last, but I'm sure enjoying it, just wish it wasn't so far from Alaska Airlines.

smkettner said:
Unfortunately the website is poorly worded and is much narrower than actual policy.

Electric Vehicle Parking
Free parking is available for electric vehicles only at charging stations located in the lower/arrivals level of Parking Structures 1 and 6 for up to a maximum of 30 days per visit.

True, unfortunately. However it is pretty clear there is no enforcement of where you actually park, and they can't write you a ticket for parking in a non-designated spot as you pay on exit, therefore a logical person should be able to figure out how things actually work. I don't know what they were thinking when making up these policies though. An EV parked in an EV spot for 30 days renders the charger useless for other people. Restricting allowed parking duration in a spot with a charger to say 1 or even 3 days while still allowing free for 30 everywhere else in the structure would be a better model IMO.

rpmdk said:
Don't know how much longer this free parking will last, but I'm sure enjoying it, just wish it wasn't so far from Alaska Airlines.

I have a feeling not munch longer once they realize how much revenue they lose and the rate at which that number increases every month with EV population growth. I'd still be thankful if they allowed to park for free or at a discounted rate in one of their long-term parking lots.

Any status on upgraded EVSE's at LAX? I saw on another thread that ClipperCreek was working it and on Feb 6 it said "should be complete in the next month or so"

Their procedure was different on same day @ LAX

- Lot 6, show the proof of EV(cf-registration) & CDL
- Lot 1, check VIN but no CDL

Parked over the weekend in Lot 6, easily found a non-obtrusive outlet near an elevator on Level 2 of the garage, used this method of securing the brick under the hood, http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7587, worked perfectly.

Upon exit the cashier got the manager, wrote down some info from the drivers license 5 minutes later out of the gate free of charge. Very easy and good experience. They just need more outlets :)

-Matt

Back