Chargepoint at LAX... the only way to fly.. almost

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this email from Paul Scott. Good news in the long run! Not so good news between now and the 28th though.

I would think they would still let us park for free between now and then but I emailed Paul to see if he had any insight on that. I have to go to LAS next week for NAB and was planning on utilizing the free LAX parking as I have in the past.

Hi All,

Plug In America has been encouraging LAX to install more J-plugs and Level 1 plugs for the growing number of EVs taking advantage of the free parking there. Phase one of the work is starting immediately. Please see below for information provided to us by a representative of LAWA (Los Angeles World Airports).

Paul

For those interested in charging at Los Angeles International airport in the next couple weeks:

The upgrades to the EVSE at LAX parking structures 1 & 6 will be taking place. We have posted the attached “No Parking” signs on the existing equipment. Parking spaces adjacent to EVSE will be blocked off as they are vacated. None of the parking spaces will be available until the upgrades are complete. No charging stations will be available until April 28.

Devin said:
Just got this email from Paul Scott. Good news in the long run! Not so good news between now and the 28th though.

I would think they would still let us park for free between now and then but I emailed Paul to see if he had any insight on that. I have to go to LAS next week for NAB and was planning on utilizing the free LAX parking as I have in the past.

Hi All,

Plug In America has been encouraging LAX to install more J-plugs and Level 1 plugs for the growing number of EVs taking advantage of the free parking there. Phase one of the work is starting immediately. Please see below for information provided to us by a representative of LAWA (Los Angeles World Airports).

Paul

For those interested in charging at Los Angeles International airport in the next couple weeks:

The upgrades to the EVSE at LAX parking structures 1 & 6 will be taking place. We have posted the attached “No Parking” signs on the existing equipment. Parking spaces adjacent to EVSE will be blocked off as they are vacated. None of the parking spaces will be available until the upgrades are complete. No charging stations will be available until April 28.

YAY more Level 1 plugs! That's all we really need. :)

Pulled into P1 and saw this...

IMG_20120417_130130.jpg

IMG_20120417_130103.jpg

IMG_20120417_130111.jpg

Happy to see they chose Clipper Creek units as well. I wonder if they're taking advantage of the CA upgrade program.

I didn't think to check into P6 and see if there was any similar activity going on there and I'm now past security. I'll check on my way back tomorrow night.

smkettner said:
That is a lot of equipment to supply the minimal power needed :roll:

If LAX puts 120v outlets on the other side of the wall I would probably park there.

Agreed 100%

I was just parked at P1 Sat-Tue and was surprised to see so many Leafs (15+?) NOT CHARGING... The two vehicles that were using L2 juice were a Tesla (maybe he needed it) and a Volt (don't get me started). I REALLY needed a charge. The thought of arriving back at LAX at 9pm Tuesday (having just run the Boston marathon) and sitting at LAX (or somewhere nearby) and charging for 4 hours didn't really excite me. Fortunately I found a 110v socket near the toll booths and was able to plug in with an extension..

All the new L2s will be nice... But keeping the parking free and adding more 110v sockets would be nicer.

LAX did take advantage of the Clipper Creek modernization program. They are also planning to install 120V plugs. I don't know when or where.

L3 has been discussed. A problem seems to be finding a location that makes sense where there is also access to the required power.

The cool thing is they are being proactive in making electricity available!

The Clipper Creek chargers are up and running at LAX terminal 6. There are still a problem of cars RAV 4's parked in front of the J1 chargers and other cars parked in from on the RAV's paddles. AT least 5 cars were parked in front of chargers and not charging.

Ok, it's cute that all the EVs cluster together by the charging stations, but now that the Clipper Creek units are active and almost any spot on either side of the wall can be reached by a charging cable (it'd be awesome if someone put some holes in the wall to pass cables through, btw) it's ridiculous how many people are blocking access to the stations. I'm speaking of P1 specifically as I haven't tried P6 yet, but I imagine the situation is similar there.

I rolled up to LAX from Orange County Sunday to pick up my parents and really needed the extra boost from an hour's charge to make it to their house and then home without hypermiling. It took me a couple tries to find the one spot available that was within reach of a station, and I had to wrap the cable around the wall and stretch it as far as it could possibly go to reach.

Yes, it's Memorial Day weekend and I expect it to be busy at LAX, but I'm sure that not all of the 15 or so EVs parked there had to or even tried to charge. In fact, two of them were Ranger EVs that can't even plug in now that the old paddle units have been replaced. On some other recent trips to LAX I've noticed Volts and PiPs taking some of the best spots, too. (Are plug-in hybrids even eligible for the free parking?!)

It's high time somebody put up some kind of rules/guidelines for EV parking at LAX, and made it clear that you don't need to plug in or park near the chargers to be eligible for the free parking benefit.

Here's my first draft at what to say. Please reply with any suggested changes, and if you know of someone to contact at LAX in order to get an official blessing to install some signs that'd be awesome too.

LAX EV Parking Guidelines

1. Please don't park here if you aren't charging! YOU DON'T NEED TO PARK HERE OR PLUG IN IF YOU'RE JUST HERE FOR THE FREE PARKING. Anywhere in the lot will do. Even the spots not directly in front of charging stations can be used for charging, so please don't occupy them if you don't need a charge.

2. If you don't need a charge, please consider that there are other EV drivers who won't be able to get home without one. See #1.

3. Please don't unplug an EV that is actively charging. If you must unplug another EV, please look for notes and LEAVE THE CHARGING DOOR OPEN.

4. When leaving, if you see another EV within reach with its charging door open, plug it in.

5. Leave a note if you have any special requests.

6. Again, PLEASE DON'T PARK IN ANY OF THESE SPOTS IF YOU DON'T NEED A CHARGE!

For more information visit mynissanleaf.com or call LAX Parking Management at (424) 646-7275.

Geesh... LAX is a mecca for EVs now. Parking there is a veritable EV car show.

Saw an iMiev (first ever in wild for me - strange ugly car in my opinion) and a Toyota sports car conversion tonight. I'm currently in the Terminal 1 sports bar waiting for my red eye. Fun fun.

I saw the Tesla RAV4 there the other day. Those are for sale already?

What is the chance of getting a charging spot next wednesday at 7p for a couple hours?
Need some L2 or I can't make it home :( Otherwise I may have to take the Subaru :|

In terminal 1 downstairs in the outside part I saw one charger not connected at 7:15 on a Friday.

I didn't need a charge so I didn't take it. But that place is PACKED!

cdub said:
In terminal 1 downstairs in the outside part I saw one charger not connected at 7:15 on a Friday.

Given additional chargers were installed at LAX I wish they had time limits posted on some of them. With unrestricted usage those who are looking for a short charge while picking up/dropping off someone at the airport are out of luck, and likely most stations are occupied by cars that completed charging long time ago. Not fair.

Valdemar said:
cdub said:

Given additional chargers were installed at LAX I wish they had time limits posted on some of them. With unrestricted usage those who are looking for a short charge while picking up/dropping off someone at the airport are out of luck, and likely most stations are occupied by cars that completed charging long time ago. Not fair.

How would that work though? Someone flies back and moves their car? :)

In all seriousness... they just need to install a ton of 110 plugs in that area. That's really what we all need.

cdub said:
Valdemar said:

How would that work though? Someone flies back and moves their car? :)

In all seriousness... they just need to install a ton of 110 plugs in that area. That's really what we all need.

Those who park for longer periods would use the chargers that don't have time limits posted. L1 is pretty much useless for less than 2hr plug-in time, so given only L1 was available I wouldn't even bother to plug-in if I were at the airport say for 1hr. Even if ample 110V outlets were available L2s would still be occupied first as they are easier to use - no need to take your L1 EVSE out and take steps to protect it from theft/vandalism.

I dunno... personally I'd use the 110s so people who really need the quicker juice would get it.

And really with all of this FUD about someone vandalizing or stealing a 110 charger pack.... has it ever happened? My car has charged with that thing in public places many times.

cdub said:
And really with all of this FUD about someone vandalizing or stealing a 110 charger pack.... has it ever happened?

If it hasn't already then only because thieves are not up to date on technology. Once they figure out it is not just an extension cord the situation will change.

Back