ChargePoint ChargePass

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got through at 6:10pm PDT, card is on the way. I then logged into the Blink network site and requested an RFID card from them as well. (The Blink site knew my email address, I clicked forgot password, got a temporary one in email, and I was in). Now if there were only some chargers somewhere in SD County to try out.

Jimmydreams said:
Yes, but "Kevin" just told me he'd send out a card. I almost told him that his English was excellent, but couldn't decide if that'd be a compliment or not. ;)
They get trained in "Accent Neutralization" - saw a program on this once.

http://esl.about.com/od/speakingenglish/a/accent_reduce.htm

As the global marketplace expands a new branch of English learning related to ESL has become very intriguing. This field is often called Accent Neutralization or Accent Reduction. The main purpose of accent neutralization / reduction is to help proficient English speakers speak with a more North American or British accent. The main cause of this trend towards accent neutralization / reduction is the demand created by outsourcing.

Update : Interesting article - http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/09/india-call-centres-accent-neutralisation

Workers must be able to "pass" as American or British and maintain their composure in the face of sometimes racist abuse by irate customers; it is simply part of the job.

derekjsmith said:
So what is the edicate for dealing with non-ev's using our charge parking spots?
When I’m driving the EV, I’m an ambassador for electric cars. The EV spaces have been virtually empty for years, and others have learned to use them because they are empty.

I usually park in the EV space to show they do get used. I always put me phone number in the windshield in case someone else arrives so we can work out charging details. My local Costco uses the EV spots to juggle tire rotations, but always move their cars immediately when I ask. With time, it will be easier for them to use other spots. When I absolutely, positively need to charge somewhere and it’s ICE’d, I park behind the car and hook up, and put my Cell number in my window and on the car I’m behind. I then check with property owners to see if they know who’s car it is, and sometimes they page the license and vehicle description. If the owner comes to move the car, I apologies for the hassle, and thank them for moving the car. Most common comment is along the lines of “I saw the electric car movie. I thought they crushed them all?” Most people are totally unaware that EVs still exist. It’s usually a teaching moment.

Be nice. While friends come and go, enemies accumulate.

KeiJidosha said:
derekjsmith said:
So what is the edicate for dealing with non-ev's using our charge parking spots?
When I’m driving the EV, I’m an ambassador for electric cars. The EV spaces have been virtually empty for years, and others have learned to use them because they are empty.

I usually park in the EV space to show they do get used. I always put me phone number in the windshield in case someone else arrives so we can work out charging details. My local Costco uses the EV spots to juggle tire rotations, but always move their cars immediately when I ask. With time, it will be easier for them to use other spots. When I absolutely, positively need to charge somewhere and it’s ICE’d, I park behind the car and hook up, and put my Cell number in my window and on the car I’m behind. I then check with property owners to see if they know who’s car it is, and sometimes they page the license and vehicle description. If the owner comes to move the car, I apologies for the hassle, and thank them for moving the car. Most common comment is along the lines of “I saw the electric car movie. I thought they crushed them all?” Most people are totally unaware that EVs still exist. It’s usually a teaching moment.

Be nice. While friends come and go, enemies accumulate.

Thank you very much for your practical advice on how to approach this situation. I am sure it will be a common situation for us and already some on the forum have experienced this issue of the EV spot being taken. A unified approach by us all will be helpful. :D

garygid said:
I just now called ChargePoint at 888-758-4389 and waited for the "human helper".

I said that I would be getting a LEAF in a couple of weeks, and that I wanted to get a ChargePoint card. He said that they were normally $9+, but for a limited time he could take my name, address, and phone number ... and he could send a FREE card. I said Yes, Please, and Thank You!

I was offered wallet size or keychain style. Not really knowing the difference, I chose the wallet-size style.

AFTER getting the card (you need its serial number), one needs to log into
http://www.mychargepoint.net
and create an account, including associating the card with the account. COOL.

I think Coulomb/ChargePoint really has their act together. I'm impressed by their service and especially their EVSE stations. I've used the iPhone app and charged at the LAX & CTEC stations. When a new company does new stuff right, I'm happy to pay a small fee. Paid $10 for the keychain-sized card and just leave it in the LEAF armrest-box.

Yep, must have been a glitch. I had no problem. Which makes sense since this seems to be the same help number you call if having trouble with charging. It would have to be available close to 7/24.

sparky said:
When a new company does new stuff right, I'm happy to pay a small fee. Paid $10 for the keychain-sized card and just leave it in the LEAF armrest-box.
Glad to see someone agrees with me. I had read about the chance of getting a free card, but decided Coulomb wouldn't mind a bit of income. I also put up the $25 just in case I might need it some time, and as a vote of confidence in the company.

All this, and I don't even have the car yet, nor do I anticipate that I will need to charge it away from home except on rare occasions. Look at like this, folks. We're talking about less than one tank of gas. Don't be so greedy!

Ray

So I picked my car up yesterday. As the guy is handing me a pile of paperwork, he hands me my Chargepoint Key chain card. He said it comes with the car.

rawhog said:
So I picked my car up yesterday. As the guy is handing me a pile of paperwork, he hands me my Chargepoint Key chain card. He said it comes with the car.

Very Nice! That's how it's done!

The sales office at Boardwalk Nissan had a huge pile of ChargePasses on the desk. I asked Brendan Dolan about them and he said they were mailed a bunch of them to hand out to Leaf owners.

On a side note I was disappointed to find the ChargePoint public charging stations in Los Altos Hills now charge $5 an hour when before they were free. $5 an hour seems kinda steep and not worth opportunity charging to me.

Ouch! Gas is much cheaper than that on an equivalent basis!

Spies said:
On a side note I was disappointed to find the ChargePoint public charging stations in Los Altos Hills now charge $5 an hour when before they were free. $5 an hour seems kinda steep and not worth opportunity charging to me.

Spies said:
Who runs them? My understanding is that the venue sets the pricing, not ChargePoint. I'd write whoever is running them suggesting a more modest price. Most places will just be guessing what rates to charge during this start up time and feedback might get results.

Remember, you need to "activate" your ChargePoint card
by "associating" its number with your account
(and creating an account, if you do not already have one).

See http://www.myChargePoint.net

davewill said:
Who runs them? My understanding is that the venue sets the pricing, not ChargePoint. I'd write whoever is running them suggesting a more modest price. Most places will just be guessing what rates to charge during this start up time and feedback might get results.
I suspect the Town of Los Altos Hills runs them. I guess I could write them and ask why they felt the need to go from free to $5 an hour. Its not like there is not free parking around both charge locations. I did not mean to imply that ChargePoint set the price.

Looking at the updated ChargePoint map it seems that the City of Alameda is also now charging $5 an hour for use of their charging station. To be fair I have not had the opportunity to check out their station and see what the parking situation is around it.

The fact that both of these municipalities have decided to start charging $5 an hour intrigues me and makes me wonder how they came to the $5 an hour conclusion. I would think they would want to keep the cost of these stations free or close to free at this early stage of EV deployment to encourage EV use and foster EV growth.

Any idea how $5 an hour is billed? Is it based on the minute or perhaps the hour?

Spies said:
I suspect the Town of Los Altos Hills runs them. I guess I could write them and ask why they felt the need to go from free to $5 an hour. Its not like there is not free parking around both charge locations. I did not mean to imply that ChargePoint set the price.
I never thought so, I was just trying to find out who was responsible. In the case of the city government, I'd contact either your representative, or the representative for your employer, or for the businesses in the area, and explain that they are asking $5 for what amounts to a few miles of travel for your car, making their "fuel" 20 times more expensive than gasoline. I'd suggest to him/her a more reasonable fee (the city parking meter rate?), or going back to free to encourage you to do business in the city.

Are these pay units associated with a specific business or group of businesses? I think we will see alot of crazy stuff happen in areas that might not be very EV friendly. Also with so few units online, the owners might think that they can charge whatever they want. As competition increases they will have to price correctly or lose money on their unused investment.

Back