ChargePoint L1 - Ground Fault Error

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready2plugin

I've tried two different L1 ChargePoint stations and I get the same error on both with a blinking red light on the ChargePoint stating that I have a ground fault. I tried my upgraded EVSE with a different LEAF and it works fine, so I believe it's with my LEAF and not with my EVSE. No problems with plugging into a normal outlet. I have an early production LEAF (VIN in the 200's)...any suggestions? My work just installed the ChargePoint (L2/L1 combo unit), and I hate to think I can't use it when the L2 is not available.

You might want to read about keydiver's problems. His LEAF was (and I guess still is) tripping the ground fault on his Schneider EVSE.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7359&p=164308&hilit=EVSE+trip+GFI#p164308" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are you using the NISSAN (Panisonic) EVSE with the Chargepoint L1?

The NISSAN EVSE passes a small current to ground to validate proper grounding. This can trip an overly sensitive GFCI.

chris1howell said:
Are you using the NISSAN (Panisonic) EVSE with the Chargepoint L1?

The NISSAN EVSE passes a small current to ground to validate proper grounding. This can trip an overly sensitive GFCI.

Yes, I'm using the NISSAN unit. I've tried two, both an upgraded one as well as a stock Nissan EVSE. They work fine on my boss's LEAF but I get the ground fault error on mine. I'm pretty sure it's my car that is the problem, but I have no idea if it's something the dealer would/could fix. It seems to be only a problem when I use the ChargePoint L1, regular outlets work fine.

I tried to use my V1 upgraded Nissan brick with Chargepoint at the end of a 100' extention cord and also received the ground faut error.
This was the left hand unit at LAX

Ready2plugin said:
... I'm pretty sure it's my car that is the problem, but I have no idea if it's something the dealer would/could fix. It seems to be only a problem when I use the ChargePoint L1, regular outlets work fine.
If you check the link I posted above, keydiver actually measured the current leakage to ground and found that his car was leaking measurably more current (17ma) to ground than another he tested (2ma). In your shoes, I'd make up the same sort of rig. At least then you'll KNOW whether your car is different.

As far as getting Nissan to fix it, it's going to be a tough thing. Both companies are going to want to point the finger at the other and even if Nissan does decide to fix it, you'll probably have to be without the car for an extended period.

I'll see what I can do...I'm in finance and not an "electrical guru" as keydriver puts it. I'll send him a PM and see if he can help. Thanks!

Our fault just had a ground fault while charging as well. I would plug it in, and you could hear the relay inside the charges (our L2, and both L1's) cycling on/off.. Plugged in the Leaf in and it would charge. Turns out water had gotten inside the harness of our Volt down in the passenger wheel well by the charge control, and was causing it to show a ground fault light on the charger... Not sure if this will help you with the Leaf BUT it is something.

I find it shocking the dealer wouldn't do anything for you. GM was very responsive. Took the car in first thing Thursday morning, and got it back today. If you are seeing current leakage my guess would be there is a break in the rubber shielding of the lines somewhere, and that is causing it to pass back through the ground... Ironically too my Volt would charge (some, but not a lot) before the charger would fault. It really depended I guess on its mood. Just picked the car up not even 30 minutes ago, and is outside charging perfectly fine now. So hope this helps you.

My dealer was clueless on how to test this. They checked for ECU error codes (none of course), plugged it into their AV charger, gave it a full charge, and called it a day. :(
Even the 2 Nissan techs who came to my house were no help. They were just "gathering data" to feed up the line, but even though they said this was given a high priority, and many people upstairs were involved, I haven't heard back in 3 weeks. Their only suggestion was to let me borrow an AV charger. :x I turned it down, because I would have needed to rewire for a huge 50 amp 240 connector that cost >$60.
I gave them plenty of info to go on: we had tons of rain, I drove through some deep puddles, I showed them the high leak current on my meter, and they still haven't bothered to actually physically remove a panel, check a connector, or look for water intrusion. I've resolved to fixing it myself when I have more time in April/May. In the meantime, the leakage current is low enough that my modified factory EVSE works fine. The highest leakage I have seen (while the techs were here no less) was 19ma, and the factory EVSE is supposed to fault at 20ma. They simply see that problem as being my Schneider EVLink, which faults at only 5ma. If it turns out to NOT be water intrusion, I suspect a problem with the charger in the car itself, some leaky component. But, given that the leakage current seems to vary greatly, some days as low as 5.x ma, I'm pretty sure its water that has gotten past a seal somewhere. My biggest worry is that this longterm oxidation of some connector or components could cause permanent damage, giving me reliability issues in the future.
BTW, Schneider says typical LEAF current leakage is 1-2ma, which I verified on 2 other LEAFs, a 2011 demo and a new 2012. Testing is relatively simple, if you have a friend who is an electrician, and he has an AC milliammeter. You just disconnect the ground wire between the EVSE and your breaker panel, and put the AC ammeter between the break so it reads how much current is going to ground.
Does anyone know of a device to test 240 volt ground current? I see they make tons of household 120 volt testers, but is there anything off the shelf to test 240? Every Nissan shop should have one, IMO, but with all the different 240 connectors it has to be a tough product to find.

keydiver said:
My dealer was clueless on how to test this. They checked for ECU error codes (none of course), plugged it into their AV charger, gave it a full charge, and called it a day. :(
Even the 2 Nissan techs who came to my house were no help. They were just "gathering data" to feed up the line, but even though they said this was given a high priority, and many people upstairs were involved, I haven't heard back in 3 weeks. Their only suggestion was to let me borrow an AV charger. :x I turned it down, because I would have needed to rewire for a huge 50 amp 240 connector that cost >$60.
I gave them plenty of info to go on: we had tons of rain, I drove through some deep puddles, I showed them the high leak current on my meter, and they still haven't bothered to actually physically remove a panel, check a connector, or look for water intrusion. I've resolved to fixing it myself when I have more time in April/May. In the meantime, the leakage current is low enough that my modified factory EVSE works fine. The highest leakage I have seen (while the techs were here no less) was 19ma, and the factory EVSE is supposed to fault at 20ma. They simply see that problem as being my Schneider EVLink, which faults at only 5ma. If it turns out to NOT be water intrusion, I suspect a problem with the charger in the car itself, some leaky component. But, given that the leakage current seems to vary greatly, some days as low as 5.x ma, I'm pretty sure its water that has gotten past a seal somewhere. My biggest worry is that this longterm oxidation of some connector or components could cause permanent damage, giving me reliability issues in the future.
BTW, Schneider says typical LEAF current leakage is 1-2ma, which I verified on 2 other LEAFs, a 2011 demo and a new 2012. Testing is relatively simple, if you have a friend who is an electrician, and he has an AC milliammeter. You just disconnect the ground wire between the EVSE and your breaker panel, and put the AC ammeter between the break so it reads how much current is going to ground.
Does anyone know of a device to test 240 volt ground current? I see they make tons of household 120 volt testers, but is there anything off the shelf to test 240? Every Nissan shop should have one, IMO, but with all the different 240 connectors it has to be a tough product to find.

Thank you, I was just signing in to send you a PM when you posted this. First time I had the error was last May (it rained a lot last year) and I didn't try using the EVSE on a ChargePoint again until my work installed one this week. I'll check into seeing if I can find a 120 volt tester. I'll also talk to my dealer to see what they say when I take it in for its software update.

The J1772 "Standard" recommends a GFI sensitivity for EVSEs of about 20 ma instead of the standard GFI socket's approximately 5 ma sensitivity.

I guess the recommendation was written for a good reason.

Not sure to post it here or on a new thread, but we have our first rain in awhile and my car is now having another problem. Whenever we accelerate, the red exclamation triangle waning light comes on an off and the car beeps, but at random intervals...sometimes just once, others very rapid beeps and flashes....I wonder if it is a water contamination problem that also is causing the ground fault error. Any suggestions?

garygid said:
The Red triangle in the "eyebrow" is just telling you that another
(more specific) Red warning is ON somewhere else.

What is the "more specific" warning?

Only the red triangle is flashing on and off very fast, not seeing any other warnings. It only happens while pressing on the go pedal. That's why it seems like some type of short that is starting. Going to the shop tomorrow.

Well my local service department was clueless on the ground fault error...they asked if I tried charging the L1 ChargePoint using the 440V connector.....say what? The flashing warning light was from a faulty low tire pressure sensor that has been fixed.

I previously reported a GFI issue using a Chargepoint L1 receptacle. As suggested by someone, somewhere in this forum, I measured leakage current (using supplied Panasonic EVSE - upgraded). Result was apparently normal, around 2ma..

Howard

Well so much for Dublin Nissan fixing my warning light from flashing on and off, it lasted a day. Currintly I can't drive (leg in a brace for the last month) so my wife has been driving the car. Going to wait until I get this brace off and take it to Sunnyvale to see what they can do. I'll also ask about the Ground Fault Error again. Hopefully they won't ask if it was from putting the L1 in the quick charge port. :roll:

Back