Charging at work. Yay or Nay?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting how some posts have compared and contrasted (remember that phrase from high school English class) the perk of free EV charging with other perks such as free coffee and the personal use of electric devices in work spaces.

Narrowing the focus to commuting perks, my company subsidizes the cost of using public transportation and provides a special parking area for car poolers, both intended to minimize vehicular traffic in the congested city and highways feeding into ot. Another company I once worked for provided vans for van pooling, for the same reason. Subsidizing the use of EVs by providing free charging would not accomplish the same purpose.

The company has just installed 9 charging stations for EVs - 3 Blinks, 3 AVs, and 3 something else (that's physically the smallest of the three brands) - just to see what they're like. The company does have 1 Volt at the moment, and plans to purchase a few Leafs when they become available. Again, just to see what they're like. Unfortunately, there are no EVs available for purchase in this state yet, but the company wants to be ready for them when they do become available.

Bill $10 per month, issue a piece of paper you can display in the dash, take down license plates of cars parked in the spot without the piece of paper. That's a very low-cost option that would pass muster through most sane processes, if you need to bill at all.

However, many bureaucracies are much more about watching the back of the decision makers, rather than actually accomplishing good things. It's much safer to do nothing than to do something that *may* end up being the wrong thing. If you ask me, that's a big source of waste. Instead, figure out a way of detecting and correcting the wrong thing quickly when it happens, and keep moving forward!

jwatte said:
Bill $10 per month, issue a piece of paper you can display in the dash, take down license plates of cars parked in the spot without the piece of paper. That's a very low-cost option that would pass muster through most sane processes, if you need to bill at all.
And give reception some guest passes for EV driving visitors. Easy peasy lemon squeazy...too easy apparently.

This is the part that may not be so easy or inexpensive for a company of any significant size. When dealing with highly structured computerized accounting systems, what to do with the money in a way that the systems can handle can be a problem, and modifying accounting systems to handle otherwise insignificant amounts of money can also be a problem. A tail that wags the dog.

jwatte said:
Bill $10 per month, ....

Yodrak said:
This is the part that may not be so easy or inexpensive for a company of any significant size. ...
jwatte said:
Bill $10 per month, ....
We're supposed to believe that NOT charging $10 a month is a huge problem, but yet the money is too small to account for? I don't buy it. It's just an excuse used when the suits don't want to do it. Funny how when they hire a new exec, they can suddenly account for gym memberships, loans for relocating, and other unusual percs, but can't get it together for this stuff.

I work at Netflix, Los Gatos CA. We have an underground private garage at the main HQ building that has had two level1 chargers for a year or two, and a Tesla has been using it. Recently we added two Level2+Level1 stations in the guest parking area out front, by the main reception. We currently have one Volt and five Leafs, although most of us live close enough to not need a charge at work every day. These are all run by Coulomb Chargepoint (Coulomb Inc. are neighbors) and we don't charge for the power used. We have other sites nearby that also have chargers.

My wife works at Informatica in Redwood City CA. She drives 40 miles each way, with freeway and mountain driving, so is marginal for a round trip. She worked with facilities to move the project forward, and they have installed two Level 2 charging stations outside in the parking lot. I think there are three Leaf's and a Volt sharing it. They went with Blink, don't charge for use, so we have access cards for both Blink and Chargepoint with our Leaf.

I setup an internal email list for the EV owners so that we can easily request employees to move out of a charging bay if needed. As usage grows, the management of this facility is going to evolve, but that's a great problem to have...

Here is my story.

I don't have an EV or PHEV yet, have a Leaf reservation (since 4/20/2010), and also signed up on the list for the 2012 Plug in Prius. I just ordered the Schnieder L2 EVSE from Home Depot, for my garage at home.

I work in downtown Boston. I used to park in "The Garage at Post Office Square" (a relativly well known garage). I started emailing their facilities manager over a year ago, and they now have 2 designated EV spaces, each with a 120V 20A outlet and a 30A 240V outlet as well (L6-30), they are considering J-1772 chargers as well in the future.

Of course my company moved down the street earlier this year, and the building we are in has a 2 level parking garage in the basement, so I moved over to the new garage.

I had our office manager ask if the building was planning on any EV parking spots, as on each level there is already a 120V GFI outlet within 10' of 2 spots per level. The response "we have no plans to designate any EV parking, and we don't think we will be looking at this in the future". Pretty open minded, eh?

One other thing I have not said, both of these garage are not free. The garage at Post Office Square is $445/month for parking, the basement garage I park at in our new offce costs me $450/month.

so if I need charging, I will probably move back to the Garage at Post Office Square, and save $5/month on parking, and use one of the green designated spaces. Its a 2 block walk, rather than parking in the same building, not a big deal

It just amazes me though that they ALREADY have 4 spots with 120V outlets, but won't designate them with signage for "plug in vehicles only", how much would 4 signs cost, not very much. Everyone who parks their is already paying $450/month, the electricty couldn't cost them more than $1/day for anyone using each of the 4 spaces, in other words, they wouldn't notice any additional costs on their electric bill, most likely.

This is what we are facing in Boston....

From a selfish point of view, charging at work is an awesome concept and, if you need it, it is a good idea. However, if you want to convince your skeptical co-workers that the Leaf is a practical every day comuter car, not charging it at work drives home the message that the car is practical and does just fine in the 'real world' without special accomodations.

mainsil said:
From a selfish point of view, charging at work is an awesome concept and, if you need it, it is a good idea. However, if you want to convince your skeptical co-workers that the Leaf is a practical every day comuter car, not charging it at work drives home the message that the car is practical and does just fine in the 'real world' without special accomodations.

I disagree

mainsil said:
From a selfish point of view, charging at work is an awesome concept and, if you need it, it is a good idea. However, if you want to convince your skeptical co-workers that the Leaf is a practical every day commuter car, not charging it at work drives home the message that the car is practical and does just fine in the 'real world' without special accommodations.
It's a double edge sword. People who don't know much about electric cars usually ask 2 questions: how far can it go and how long does it take to charge? Showing that charging stations are popping up even at work tell them that those should be non-issue for the most part if their company is supporting electric cars by providing charge stations at work.

TangoKilo said:
mainsil said:

I disagree

I both agree and disagree. My guys have seen me charge at work maybe 4 or 5 times since I got my car 8 months ago. Both charging and non-charging days have become teaching opportunities. Charging days elicited questions like, "Why are you having to charge today?", which became an opportunity to tell them how I had some extra running around to do that day. Non-charging days I'd be asked, "So, you gotta charge today?" At which point I'd be able to respond "Nah, just a normal day today".

mwalsh said:
TangoKilo said:
mainsil said:
I both agree and disagree. My guys have seen me charge at work maybe 4 or 5 times since I got my car 8 months ago. Both charging and non-charging days have become teaching opportunities. Charging days elicited questions like, "Why are you having to charge today?", which became an opportunity to tell them how I had some extra running around to do that day. Non-charging days I'd be asked, "So, you gotta charge today?" At which point I'd be able to respond "Nah, just a normal day today".

I agree...

You are correct that high level executives get to decide what's 'worth it' and what isn't. That's what they get paid the big bucks for!

davewill said:
Yodrak said:
This is the part that may not be so easy or inexpensive for a company of any significant size. ...
jwatte said:
Bill $10 per month, ....
We're supposed to believe that NOT charging $10 a month is a huge problem, but yet the money is too small to account for? I don't buy it. It's just an excuse used when the suits don't want to do it. Funny how when they hire a new exec, they can suddenly account for gym memberships, loans for relocating, and other unusual percs, but can't get it together for this stuff.

mainsil said:
But the facts of life are that charging at work is probably a necessity for widespread acceptance. Instead of gas stations, we need charging stations and they need to be where we do the most parking. First at home, second at our jobs. Why pretend it ain't so?

I got a favorable response to the suggestion today. It looks like my employer will charge for the electric to make it 'fair'. It will take a while to go through the inevitable red tape, but the company is looking for ways to be green. So I may have picked my timing just right :)

mwalsh said:
TangoKilo said:
mainsil said:
I disagree
Good point.

I emailed the person in charge of our property management (for all of our 5 office locations) and informed her of my upcoming purchase (Saturday 10/8!) of my Nissan Leaf. I told her it's 100% electric, no gas, etc. I told her it'll be my primary vehicle for driving to the offices and I would like to know if I can be permitted to plug into an outlet at one of my two offices at the charge of about $0.50 for the day.

My company has a history of being environmentally friendly and provide incentives to certain people who drive efficient vehicles.

The building manager for our headquarter building came to me and told me he spoke to the overall property manager and proceeded to walk me around the parking garage and show me where the 6 outlets were. Said that he will be putting up a plackard in 1 spot near an outlet for EV parking only, but I am welcome any spot I find. And, if for some reason all of the spots near outlets are taken up, let him know and he will move our "Green Machine" (it's a Think Electric Golf Cart) that is used for local errands for employees, so that I can plugin where it is. For the other office I frequent, there is only 1 dual-outlet around back and I'm welcome to it if there is parking.

I thought this was very nice of them and I'm glad they are happily accomodating. I also provided them info on Level 2 charging so maybe one day in the not-so-distant future they will set one of those up too.

At my place of work they are in the process of doing a major remodel of the building. I sugested a L2 charger and the message was well received. They will charge so as to be fair to ICE drivers. But as long as they don't overcharge I'll be sure to take advantage once its done.

Back