Charging at work. Yay or Nay?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
teichholtz said:
Sigh.. I just found out that I am going to lose my free parking and free electricity in August.

There is a company a few blocks from where I work which has one charger and I can park there all day for free and the electricity is free. I have my phone number on the dash in case someone else wants it, no one has ever called.

The company is moving a few towns away in August. Darn... I have only charged at home a few times since I got the car in March, there was no need to, leave work at 100%, 25 miles home, 25 miles back in the morning.

I sure hope you asked the company before you started doing this.

I can't even rely on a handicapped parking space being open for me, much less a slot with power. However, the only public charging station in Albany NY is 3.3 miles from my work, and it's free, so if I'm low on charge I can stop there on my way home, for 15 minutes.

I considered charging at work. There are a few 120v 15A outlets around... ultimatley... I decided not to.
I am in a position where I dont really need to charge. My commute is 10 miles, 20 round trip.

One reason I didnt ask because I know where I work & live... the company I work for and the area I live in are not very EV friendly.

To plug in at work would 'stir the pot' with several emloyees. 'What?! he gets to charge at work?! - No one pays for my fuel to get into work!! thats unfair!" This would happen even if I had to pay more than the cost of electricty - people are VERY quick to assume. I just dont want to deal with that. I am the butt of most car jokes anyway... do I really want to sign up for 'work pays for his fuel too!' comments? No.

davewill said:
ksnogas2112 said:
Through no effort of my own, our new building will have at least 2 public EVSE's. ... I also just found out our CEO picked up a Tesla so there are 2 EV's in the company. Hopefully more to come with the EVSE's. ..
I guess mystery solved on why EVSEs are going in. Of course with a Tesla, your CEO probably doesn't need at work charging, either.

Actually the decision was made over a year ago before either of us got our cars and was in every version of the building upgrade or move plans for last few years. A large part of it is to get the LEED certification but the company does make a concerted effort to do the 'environmental' thing. Paper, plastic, aluminum, battery recycle bins are on ever floor of every building. All disposable cups are more environmentally friendly (corn starch cups instead of plastic, paper instead of styrofoam). They used to provide bottled water along with the free soda but changed that to a filtered water machine. I wish they change to a soda fountain but that does increase general maintenance costs. All paper products are from recycled paper including the TP and paper towels. I was hoping for solar panels on the new building but that probably won't happen.

My company purchased Clipper Creek charging equipment and made it available to anyone that wants to use it. I take full advantage of it.

LeftieBiker said:
I can't even rely on a handicapped parking space being open for me, much less a slot with power. However, the only public charging station in Albany NY is 3.3 miles from my work, and it's free, so if I'm low on charge I can stop there on my way home, for 15 minutes.
Is that the Holiday Inn Express? Have you been there to check it out? Do they even care if you just go there to charge? I mean, I've gone to a supermarket just to charge, but I go in and buy something, both because I want to reward them for offering charging, but also because I need to do something for an hour. I can't think of how to do that at a hotel.

Staque said:
LeftieBiker said:
Is that the Holiday Inn Express? Have you been there to check it out? Do they even care if you just go there to charge? I mean, I've gone to a supermarket just to charge, but I go in and buy something, both because I want to reward them for offering charging, but also because I need to do something for an hour. I can't think of how to do that at a hotel.

It's my understanding that the City of Albany and NYSERDA are helping sponsor that station. As for the wait, I'd only use it to get enough charge to get home easily. That means listening to the radio for 15 minutes or so.

Having finally read through this thread, I think i have some info that may be useful. The Dept of Energy is getting some momentum on its Workplace Charging Challenge and will soon be producing a handbook for employers who are considering installing EVSE. I'll let everyone know when this is published; it will be through the DOE Clean Cities program (http://www1.eere.energy.gov/cleancities/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Clean Cities has a series of such handbooks on EVs, and this will be the next in the series.
(http://www1.eere.energy.gov/cleancities/publications.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - look under Vehicles)

Also, this handbook produced by the state of MN is very good:
http://www.energyinnovationcorridor.com/page/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/charging-while-you-work-guide-8.5-11.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although MN-focussed, It addresses most of the questions employers and building managers/owners will have re. Workplace charging. And it even has a sample letter that an employee could use to request that e company look into this option.

Big nay. I was met with blank stares, like I was asking for plutonium or something. I was in the process of coming up with a concrete proposal when I realized it wasn't going to work anyway. The parking lot wraps around the whole building, but the actual parking spaces are on the outermost edge of the lot, none are against the building except for a few handicapped spots. The building is surrounded by shrubs and loading docks, and the only outlet on the exterior of the building is for the loading bay sump pump.

coolfilmaker said:
teichholtz said:
Sigh.. I just found out that I am going to lose my free parking and free electricity in August.

There is a company a few blocks from where I work which has one charger and I can park there all day for free and the electricity is free. I have my phone number on the dash in case someone else wants it, no one has ever called.

The company is moving a few towns away in August. Darn... I have only charged at home a few times since I got the car in March, there was no need to, leave work at 100%, 25 miles home, 25 miles back in the morning.

I sure hope you asked the company before you started doing this.

Absolutely.

I just started a new job recently. Still don't have my Leaf yet, will probably have it soon (finally).

It's all Chargepoint EVSE at work. I counted a total of 10 J1772 handles for L2. 2 of the stations looked like the CT2101 model (http://www.chargepoint.com/products-chargepoint-stations.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) which have a L2 J1772 handle and a 120 volt outlet underneath the cover.

There were either 13 or 14 total EV charging parking spaces. In the case where there were more spaces than J1772 handles, it looked like the cables were long enough to reach all the spots. AFAIK, the charging is free but I hear there's no promise that they remain so. No idea if/when they might change that.

For my commute (~12 miles one way), I won't need charging at work but it'd be nice to get some free juice there.

cwerdna said:
I just started a new job recently. Still don't have my Leaf yet, will probably have it soon (finally).

It's all Chargepoint EVSE at work. I counted a total of 10 J1772 handles for L2. 2 of the stations looked like the CT2101 model (http://www.chargepoint.com/products-chargepoint-stations.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) which have a L2 J1772 handle and a 120 volt outlet underneath the cover.

There were either 13 or 14 total EV charging parking spaces. In the case where there were more spaces than J1772 handles, it looked like the cables were long enough to reach all the spots. AFAIK, the charging is free but I hear there's no promise that they remain so. No idea if/when they might change that.

For my commute (~12 miles one way), I won't need charging at work but it'd be nice to get some free juice there.
Given the other options now available and your location in the often hot South Bay, care to give the particular reasons you're going with the Leaf and not one of the other options that have TMS?

^^^
For me, I plan to lease: 2 years should be fine, 3 years tops. I don't want to buy a BEV. There are many reasons for not buying a BEV as my charging/living situation could change, as could my work.

My commute is short (~12 miles, each way, about 5 miles of it is highway). I don't care about battery degradation in the 1st 2 years due to heat. Yeah, it can get hot in my area during summer. At work, all but 2 EVSEs and charging spaces are in underground covered parking, so that'll keep the temps down. If I charge, I'll use those and I won't really need it anyway.

As long as it remains free, I may not charge at home much on weekdays and only charge to 80% weekdays that I do. At work and weekends, I'll probably charge to 100%. I don't care about leaving it long at that since I plan to lease.

Currently, my top choices are leasing a Leaf, buying/leasing a Volt (not to keen on buying GM), buying/leasing a Rav4 EV (unlikely). Rav4 EV range is overkill for me and there's no CHAdeMO port. The lease price is a bit too much and I feel like I'd be leasing a bit too much car. (The lease vs. buy deal situation w/the Rav4 EV recently change.) Its reliability seems quite questionable too. :( (Unusual for a Toyota, but it seems like the Tesla bits are to blame.)

I don't care about Spark EV nor Fiat 500e compliance cars. Many reasons but their reliability is unknown and I doubt we'll ever get such stats in Consumer Reports. I'm steering clear of any Fords as their ICE/hybrid vehicles now have a spotty reliability record (some of it due to MyFord Touch). I also doubt we'll ever get any CR reliability data for the FFE nor any of their Energis, due to tiny sales. FFE also has no CHAdeMO.

I don't want a Fit EV as it has no CHAdeMO and it feels like a step back w/o Intelligent Key/Smart Key System. Also, I don't want a car in that class due to http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr041409.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (video at http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr041409.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

No thanks on the Mitsubishi i, Accord PHEV, Smart ED. Model S is WAY more than I want to spend, esp. w/a company that to me is on shaky ground and w/questionable reliability so far.

cwerdna said:

Considering what you have told me about your local utility rates, I would stick with your workplace as your primary charging source as long as your work is OK with that.

cwerdna said:
^^^
For me, I plan to lease: 2 years should be fine, 3 years tops. I don't want to buy a BEV. There are many reasons for not buying a BEV as my charging/living situation could change, as could my work.
[snip rest]
Thanks for explaining your reasoning.

Congrats on your new job! who are you working for? I also think that leasing an EV right now is the best way to go
simply because they are not ready for primetime.

let them get the battery chemistry right, add some more range. take advantage of the super cheap leases while they are available

^^^
Thanks! Well, I don't usually post publicly on forums where I work/have worked, but you can find out via Facebook since we're friends there. :) It isn't a huge company by # of employees but the brand/company is pretty well known in the US.

I made some more queries today and it seems they have no plans to impose fees for charging. Yay! Too bad I didn't notice any PV on the roof or around the buildings.

It will be interesting to see how much battery technology advances and battery prices fall in the next few years, or not.

OK, so I decided it would be nice to charge today at the ChargePoint station located in the medical school parking garage across from our hospital. I normally charge overnight at home, but I blew it off last night (since I can), but I think I might need the extra range this evening. Looked up the station on the ChargePoint site and it's in use, which is rare around here. OK, I have a coworker LEAFer that might be using it. Hmmm...since it was lunchtime, I decided to walk across the street to check...lo and behold, a Volt from Texas (this is KCMO) was camping in the spot, charge completed. The signage, unfortunately, says it's "parking for electric vehicles" and NOT "parking for EV's while charging;" the floor space is also marked. Thought about the possibility of unplugging/bringing my LEAF over to charge in one of the unoccupied spaces on either side of the Volt, but my coworker had said he got a (campus) ticket when he did that, since those spaces aren't marked for EV charging! I later recalled how those Volts have screaming alarms if you unplug them :? ...so I decided to be a stealth trickle-charger in our parking garage :twisted: , IF I could locate a space near a wall plug. There are plugs near the stairwells at the far corners of our garage. I lucked out and found an empty, covered space (no battery baking!) next to a stairwell, where the cord would reach the plug & car. I'm trickle charging now, first time EVER! :lol: I left the bubble wrap on the brick for protection and lowered the charge port cover over the EVSE handle to minimize it's noticeability. I'm crossing my fingers nobody will get too nosey and see it charging...Now I'm thinking I may have to go place a kindly charging etiquette card on the Volt, since it's STILL hogging that charging space over an hour later (with no "OK to unplug me at xx time" note). :( :roll:

eclecticflower said:
OK, so I decided it would be nice to charge today at the ChargePoint station located in the medical school parking garage across from our hospital. I normally charge overnight at home, but I blew it off last night (since I can), but I think I might need the extra range this evening. Looked up the station on the ChargePoint site and it's in use, which is rare around here. OK, I have a coworker LEAFer that might be using it. Hmmm...since it was lunchtime, I decided to walk across the street to check...lo and behold, a Volt from Texas (this is KCMO) was camping in the spot, charge completed. The signage, unfortunately, says it's "parking for electric vehicles" and NOT "parking for EV's while charging;" the floor space is also marked. Thought about the possibility of unplugging/bringing my LEAF over to charge in one of the unoccupied spaces on either side of the Volt, but my coworker had said he got a (campus) ticket when he did that, since those spaces aren't marked for EV charging! I later recalled how those Volts have screaming alarms if you unplug them :? ...so I decided to be a stealth trickle-charger in our parking garage :twisted: , IF I could locate a space near a wall plug. There are plugs near the stairwells at the far corners of our garage. I lucked out and found an empty, covered space (no battery baking!) next to a stairwell, where the cord would reach the plug & car. I'm trickle charging now, first time EVER! :lol: I left the bubble wrap on the brick for protection and lowered the charge port cover over the EVSE handle to minimize it's noticeability. I'm crossing my fingers nobody will get too nosey and see it charging...Now I'm thinking I may have to go place a kindly charging etiquette card on the Volt, since it's STILL hogging that charging space over an hour later (with no "OK to unplug me at xx time" note). :( :roll:

Someone got a ticket for charging in a non-EV marked space? There's a law/rule/ordinance that says an EV cannot charge in an unmarked space? I would so fight that one...

I would just unplug the Volt if he is not charging. The alarm only goes for 30 secs I believe - no big wup.

peter said:
Someone got a ticket for charging in a non-EV marked space? There's a law/rule/ordinance that says an EV cannot charge in an unmarked space? I would so fight that one...

I would just unplug the Volt if he is not charging. The alarm only goes for 30 secs I believe - no big wup.
My Knowing how schools operate, I'd guess that the ticket was for parking without the proper sticker.

Back