Charging in San Bernardino, Riverside, E. LA Counties

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Called Gil this AM at the SB 7-11, and the Eaton QC is OPERATIONAL. abasile called me a few minutes later to report that keijidosa, who is driving up to visit them at Aerobear, stopped by the 7-11 this morning and confirmed this. His Mini-E cannot use the QC, however.

I am heading out now to get my firs tQC at this station. 40+ miles. I charged last night to 80%, so I should be below 50% when I get to the station. "Film at 11."

Ack!! i thought for sure WA's lonely L3 stuck at the "Northern Outpost" would be first... but then again, maybe this is the start of a looooong string of activations!

DaveinOlyWA said:
Ack!! i thought for sure WA's lonely L3 stuck at the "Northern Outpost" would be first... but then again, maybe this is the start of a looooong string of activations!

Don't get the impression that this is part of some greater plan...this is just one developer with a real forward thinking POV. I have a feeling that, without Nissan involvement at least, the most we can hope for in this neck of the woods is something that grows in an organic way.

OK, here is "film at 11."

I got to the 7-11 and met Gil, who came out with me. The Eaton unit was unlocked. Having done QC at Mitsubishi HQ on an identical Eaton unit, I was confident. Gil knew nothing. I showed him how to plug in and latch to the car QC port and activate the Eaton screen by touching it. I went through the "next" steps and punched the "start" button. The display showed it was doing the handshaking with the car. It completed that phase, the fans powered up, and the charging process began. First second ok, current ramp began. Next few seconds ok, display showed 10-12 amps, then FAULT. Bummer. No fault code.

We were offered a reset option. I unplugged, repeated everything, same result. Did 3 repeats.
Gil gets on the phone, and the contractor who installed the unit promises to come right away. While I wait, I plug into the L2, because I had intentionally arrived with less than 50% SOC so I could see some full-power charging. The contractor, John, arrives and gets on the phone with Eaton. By now it is 2PM Pacific Time and the engineer on the East coast has left for the day. Double bummer.

I mention to John the long wait for the "missing part" that had to come from Europe. He looks at me funny, and says there was a miscommunication. All that was missing was a bolt to tie down the AWNING.

We open up the front panel which John is dismayed to see unlocked, since live 208V are inside, and there is no obvious diagnostic display. I realized later I should have looked for some kind of switch that would activate a diagnostic mode for the main display.

Here is the plan: John and I set a time to meet back at the unit tomorrow morning. I will call John before I leave home, and suggest he talk to the Eaton engineer before lunch time on the East coast, and verify that we could actually learn something more if I return. If he says yes, I will drive the 30 miles (not 40 like I said) back there.

I understand that the Chademo protocol does something like the following: first the car gets the max charge rate from the charger. then, when charging commences, the car controls how fast the charge rate ramps up. If the charger does not respond with the charge amount the car requests, the car issues a fault. This might be what is happening.

The only thing different for my car between Mitsubishi and 7-11 is that at Mitsubishi I began with more than 50% SOC. Just to rule this out, can someone confirm that they have successfully charged at Mitsubishi beginning with a SOC below 50% ? I began at 7-11 with 44%.

Since John did not have the key to the front panel, he said he was going to shut off the power to the QC until we meet tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

Yes, the Eaton at Mitsubishi charges without problem if you are below 50%.

It never hurts to get pictures of the innards if you can. The closer the better, labels, connections, etc.

Good luck today.

Just an FYI, the Eaton L2 was faulting when I charged there yesterday. Reset it three times. Turned the draw down on the MINI to 12 amps and it stayed lit. My assumption is the Eaton is set for 30 amp max and is sensitive. (<+5%).

KeiJidosha said:
Just an FYI, the Eaton L2 was faulting when I charged there yesterday. Reset it three times. Turned the draw down on the MINI to 12 amps and it stayed lit. My assumption is the Eaton is set for 30 amp max and is sensitive. (<+5%).
Interesting. After failure on the L3, I charged on the Eaton L2 at the normal (16A) rate for about an hour without problem, but 6 months ago I had a fault on that unit after about 40 minutes of charge.

The fault I saw on the L3 appeared to be at a rate below 20A, not near 30A. Tony and Robert are operating under the assumption that there is no built-in adjustable maximum current setting less than these QC unit's true maximum. However, an adjustable setting would be very nice to limit demand charges.

Eaton never returned John's call today. Lovely Eaton technical support MIA.

Some shots with the front panel of the Eaton DC QC open. The 5 power modules must each be rated at 10 kW. John, the installing electrician, was dismayed to find the front panel unlocked with the high-voltage exposed except for the clear plastic shield.

IMG0506-M.jpg

IMG0505-M.jpg

Here you can see where the trenching was done to route the power. It had to be run further than the transformer on the left to reach the building's main panel.

IMG0504-M.jpg

Spoke to Gil at the SB 7-11 today. His understanding is that they are going to install new software in the Eaton DC QC today (Wednesday), or tomorrow. Hopefully that will fix the faults. I gave him my number to call if and when they are ready for a test.

z0ner said:
TonyWilliams said:
Still not working. Sounds like ongoing, not going to get fixed soon...

So it's six days later - I'm assuming it's stil non-operational?
I called Gill this AM, Wednesday Mar 7. He said "they" are working on fixing the Eaton, but nothing specific. They are going to get a Leaf to test it. I tried to get him to confirm that "they" included an actual Eaton technician or engineer, at least on the phone, but he didn't say that. They have given him a target date of Mar 23 for it to be operational.

Previously I had called the installer, but he never returned the call. He is an electrician, but he knows nothing about the Eaton's internal hardware or software, and he has seen no Eaton documentation other than some installation templates. He may feel he has done his part and that he cannot really help with this. I have heard that Mitsubishi had early difficulties dealing with Eaton as well.

Gill confirmed that he had my phone number, so if they believe they have it working, he will call me.

I contacted Eaton support, and they said they were sending a tech out tomorrow to find out the preliminaries on why the unit is faulting. I'll call them back on Wednesday to see how that goes.

Fingers crossed. :)

oh oh, is it possible WA will beat CA for first public DCFC?

then again, if we are the two leading states, why are we last?? even New Jersey beat us and they were not even tier 1 state!

Back