Charging in San Bernardino, Riverside, E. LA Counties

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
baronvonshush said:
Interesting! I didn't know they were actually going to install a station at that Walgreens.

Chino Hills actually just got its first public (J1772) charging station a little over a week ago - a ChargePoint at The Shoppes. We've used it a couple of times so far. I'm actually curious who owns that one, but haven't had a chance to research it. If it's one of the stores there or The Shoppes in general, then we will definitely try to patronize them more often to thank them as long as it's free.
Yes, on the same day I visited the Shoppes station; it is shown on the Chargepoint map. I had trouble locating it because it is not well-marked. It is across the street from Victoria's Secret.

It is probably owned by the Mall.

This is a major outdoor Mall with lots of parking, but it was very full on a Saturday afternoon. A new Volt without plates was using the site when I found it. As this site becomes known, one charger is going to be very inadequate.

After many months of prodding and promises, Ontario Airport ONT has finally completed upgrading their legacy chargers to Clipper Creek J1772. I charged successfully today, June 18.

Located Lot 4C, GPS (34.0.1N, 117.43.48W), opposite East end of Terminal 4 (SW Airlines).
Three chargers in Lot 4, but one of them is handicap only.
Unfortunately there is only one parking space per charger. I understand same arrangement in Lot 2 (I did not check). I reported this location on Recargo.

IMG1402-M.jpg

To use the GPS coordinates, enable Lat/Long display: Settings -> Others -> Map Scrolling -> Lat/Long.

z0ner said:
BTW I don't know if it made the cut, but the IKEA in Covina (Barranca and just north of the 10 FWY) just complimented their 57,000 square-foot solar array with 4 Blink L2 chargers.
A couple of photos of the four Blinks at the Ikea in Covina (848 South Barranca Avenue, Covina, CA).
Located in lower level of underground parking structure, right in front of entrance area
(bottom of escalators). Intended for customers and employees.

Earlier today we charged at a new location, an addition to Rancho Cucamonga's already impressive network of L2 charging.

Walgreens - ChargePoint L2
6400 Haven Avenue
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91737

We had to use our ChargePoint card. The unit indicated something about a "grace period", so I think it is free for now. I would presume, but have no confirmation, that like other Walgreens this unit will end up being $2/hour.

In our case, even the high price of $2/hour will be worth paying, as this unit is right off the 210 Freeway (on the north side of the freeway, west side of Haven) and there is a Trader Joe's right on the other side of Haven. After finishing at Trader Joe's, we had exactly the charge we needed to make it home to the mountains comfortably (after previously enjoying some free L2 not far away).

Glendora City Hall got upgrade to pair of ClipperCreek L2 several months ago.
114 S. Vista Bonita Ave. It is listed on ReCargo. I charged there Saturday for first time.

It is one short block E. of Glendora public library and a decent restaurant. Simple menu of sandwiches, burgers, and pie, cheerful and clean.

IMG0046-L.jpg

IMG0048-M.jpg

As of today, Oct 15, this site is NOT operational because the "grace period" has expired. The unit is powered on and its display functional, but it has not yet been "provisioned." This is the third Walgreens charge installation with which I have "provision" failure. All of these have been ChargePoint installs. My understanding is that Walgreens has partnered with one or more third parties who actually own the stations, and the owners haven't completed their commitments. This is poor, considering this site has been powered up since August.

I checked-in my failure at this site on Recargo.
Beware of any Walgreens/Chargepoints which do not show up on Chargepoint's map.

The Trader Joes at this location is fine, but the quality of the menu of the cafe to its south did not impress me.

Without being able to charge, I chose to abort my errand. Next time I will charge at the Clipper Creek at Rancho Cucamonga Civic Center and eat at the Panera Bread just to its North across Foothill.

abasile said:
Earlier today we charged at a new location, an addition to Rancho Cucamonga's already impressive network of L2 charging.

Walgreens - ChargePoint L2
6400 Haven Avenue
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91737

We had to use our ChargePoint card. The unit indicated something about a "grace period", so I think it is free for now. I would presume, but have no confirmation, that like other Walgreens this unit will end up being $2/hour.

In our case, even the high price of $2/hour will be worth paying, as this unit is right off the 210 Freeway (on the north side of the freeway, west side of Haven) and there is a Trader Joe's right on the other side of Haven. After finishing at Trader Joe's, we had exactly the charge we needed to make it home to the mountains comfortably (after previously enjoying some free L2 not far away).

Heard so much bad re Blink - I thought I'd check the L.A. QC prior to use - since I was just 20 miles away prior to thanks giving - and wanted to take the Leaf high up into the hills of Glendale (68 miles, almost 3,000 feet). Here's the pic I took on my "confirmation" day:

z35l3.jpg

The L.A. set up is VERY nice - has 2 QC nozzles !! Both working fine.
Next day? On our way to Glendale we stopped by and all we needed was just ONE nozzle to work. But . . . . . zip zilch zero nada BOTH were dead - and - the blink app gave me NO clue that this was the case. Now I know what Blink complaints are all about. Had it not been for a great guy on the plug share network just a short way from our destination - our Thanksgiving day would have really been screwed.

Plugshare is reporting new Blink L2 at 3 Carl's Jr locations:
Torrance
Downy
El Segundo

Each has either 2 or 3 EVSEs.

This could mean that Carl's Jr is going to install L2 throughout their chain, or it could be that these 3 locations are all owned by one franchise. Has anyone spotted other Carl's Jr locations with L2 ?

tbleakne said:
Torrance
Downy
El Segundo

This could mean that Carl's Jr is going to install L2 throughout their chain, or it could be that these 3 locations are all owned by one franchise. Has anyone spotted other Carl's Jr locations with L2 ?
I can't speak to Carl's Jr., but here in the Bay Area there are a lot of MickeyD's with Blink L2s. Not too smart when you think about how long the average customer stops at a fast food place. They need QCs to make any sense.

tbleakne said:
Torrance
Downy
El Segundo

I'm not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but the one off I-5 at Atlantic (actually on Telegraph Rd near The Citadel) has them. I've never used them though.

I just saw today their is a new L3 Blink, installed but not in service yet, in Riverside on University at Mc Donald's between the 91 and 60 freeways. Their is a working L2 already on the Blink map at this location.

asharpleaf said:
I just saw today their is a new L3 Blink, installed but not in service yet, in Riverside on University at Mc Donald's between the 91 and 60 freeways. Their is a working L2 already on the Blink map at this location.
A QC in Riverside? That would be awesome! It sure would help us with trips to/from San Diego County!

The Blink DC quick charger at the McDonalds on University Ave in Riverside has been installed for a couple of weeks now. Still no power as of today and nobody at the location had any idea when it would be operational.

At Fontana Nissan, my wife was told today (while using their L2) that the dealership just finished running the conduit for their Quick Charger. The QC unit itself is sitting there in its shipping packaging and is ready to be installed very soon. The dealership employee mentioned that they are now waiting for a city inspection.

For those traveling to the San Bernardino Mountains, this will be the best place to get a QC boost before heading up! Woo hoo!

(With a new battery pack, a 100% charge, and careful driving, my mountain town should also be reachable from the QC in Riverside. But it's significantly easier from Fontana partly because of Fontana's higher elevation.)

The Via Verde Park & Ride located off the 57 fwy Via Verde exit (Raging Waters / Bonelli Park) has finally swapped out their old Avcon with the common Clipper Creek CS-40 J1772 L2.

mwalsh said:
abasile said:
A QC in Riverside? That would be awesome! It sure would help us with trips to/from San Diego County!

A welcome addition for sure. Maybe even a little better or those visiting the mountains from the OC than the one that was on Sierra. Hope this one lasts!
Yes, this location is welcome, but I am disappointed as I reported in the "500 Nissan to get QC" thread that Raceway Nissan a few miles E at I60-I215 is showing no progress on their DC QC. Being at the top of a hill puts them a little closer to the mountains.

Today I just completed my second trip in 6 months to visit my friend at his family ranch near Idyllwild. 90 miles and 4K feet elevation without QC required almost 3 hours of L2 charge, first near Mission Inn, next at Raceway, and a final top-off at Moss brothers Chevy in Moreno Valley. This latter site has 2 new L2, they are friendly, but the EVSEs deliver only 2.5 kW to battery, vs 3.1 for normal L2.

I arrived at my friend' ranch with 22% Gids, exactly as my calibrated spreadsheet predicted.

With the battery decline I expect this summer, this is probably my last visit to this ranch in this vehicle.
The Riverside Blink QC would save me the Mission Inn L2 charge, but it would not get me up the mountain.

Back