Charging problems

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron8

I actually have a big problem. My Leaf suddenly stopped charging at my home station or by drip at my home outlet for some reason. I had the car checked out and it is OK. Why would both no longer work. Nissan said I should get an electrician to check my electricity but that dosen't make sence to me. Since this happened I have been going to local charging stations which has been really annoying. Any suggestions???

If your car charges at other locations but not at your home, the problem would seem to involve some issue with your home charging, correct?

I'm not sure anyone here can say why that might happen, but it seems like it has. If possible, I would try another (borrowed?) EVSE at your house, but if that doesn't work it definitely seems like you need to consult an electrician.

As mentioned, if you can charge away from home (at public stations), but can't charge at home, then the problem is probably with your home system.

You can try using your charging station (EVSE) somewhere else other than your home to see if the problem is with your EVSE. If it does not work, then you may have a problem with your EVSE. If it works, then the issue may be with your home electrical outlet or other electrical issue.

There can be other issues, like the car's Timer being ON, but it sounds like an electrical equipment issue.

What type of EVSE do you have?

Something to note: IFIRC, some EVSE's don't do the diode check while others do. If your diode failed, you might be able to charge in some places but not others:

That said, there's a LOT of possibilities here--so don't jump to the conclusion you have a diode problem. More details about what works and what doesn't would be super helpful.

Since it's common to two "chargers" at home, it could be an earthing issue. EVSEs are picky about having a good earth, and might not be good at telling you what the problem is.

Edit: By "earthing", I mean the same thing as Americans call "grounding".

Last edited:
I actually have a big problem. My Leaf suddenly stopped charging at my home station or by drip at my home outlet for some reason. I had the car checked out and it is OK. Why would both no longer work. Nissan said I should get an electrician to check my electricity but that dosen't make sence to me. Since this happened I have been going to local charging stations which has been really annoying. Any suggestions???
Are we talking Level 2 charging vs fast charging?

My first suspicion is you have a ground issue. Lots of stuff works OK without a ground. EVSE does not. I learned that when I got the Leaf and it wouldn't charge though the garage plug worked OK for general use. Old house, no grounding.

If you are using the same charging cable for both your charging station and 120v outlet charging, it's probably the cable.

If you are using the same charging cable for both your charging station and 120v outlet charging, it's probably the cable.
No they are 2 different cables one for a drip charge and the other is my home 240 charge unit. Both worked and then neither did.

I have been taking it to outside charging stations. I just can't figure out why I cannot charge at home.

This might be obvious, but you did try the Timer override switch beside the Charge Port switch in the dash? Could be a software issue and Timer usually "learns" when you are home (if you have nav, the car can GPS search where it is).
And I second the question from hradek, is your outside charging at L3 on CHADeMO and not on the J1772 port?

Back