Charging question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipscoggins

I've notice something that seemed odd to me, so I thought I'd throw it out to the forum.

I have mostly been charging to 100% since I got my LEAF (Drive 60+ miles/day & I've been getting used to it)

Anyway, I got a WattsLeft meter last week and have been watching Gids obsessively, to the point where my driving efficiency has risen enough to where I feel comfortable charging to 80%.

When I charge to 100% I have 279 Gids, after the morning preheat I will have about 272 Gids. -5 Gids

I charged to 80% today at 231 Gids, after morning preheat I had 235 Gids. +4 Gids

Why does my charge decrease when preheating at 100% charge & increase when preheating at 80% charge?

Just wondering.

Philip

philipscoggins said:
Why does my charge decrease when preheating at 100% charge & increase when preheating at 80% charge?
Both depend on how long pre-heat is on.

Initially, charge power is not enough, so some battery power is used. Hence, reduced Gids.

Pre-heat overrides the timer, so if pre-heat is started early and is on long enough, the car will continue charging past 80%.

ebill3 said:
philipscoggins said:
Both depend on how long pre-heat is on.

Initially, charge power is not enough, so some battery power is used. Hence, reduced Gids.

Pre-heat overrides the timer, so if pre-heat is started early and is on long enough, the car will continue charging past 80%.

And, the car slows down charging when it's near 100%, so those last few "borrowed GIDs" get paid back more slowly.

My timer ends about 15 minutes before my preheat cuts on. Then preheat runs for 25-30 minutes .

25-30 because if I leave on time I cut it off 25 minutes in, if I'm late it cuts off at 30.

I can see the initial draw being more than the 3.3kwh going into the car and then charging up the car some as the heater's power draw decreases. But wouldn't it be closer to 100% if I was charging to 100%?

Philip

Well, I guess you ought to try a longer pre-heat if you want a full 100% charge.

I always charge to 80%. When I want 100%, I remotely override the timer, then later remotely start pre-heat. I don't have a record of times, but it seems I never leave with a total max charge.

Back