Charging Station Questions - MBA student

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskerMBA

We are part of an MBA program that is tasked with finding solutions for the charging challenges in the Electric Automobile space. This is a very brief survey that we absolutely appreciate input from the folks on this board. The results will be used only for our MBA class project and will not be marketed or used in any other fashion. Please help us and take 5 minutes to answer the 12 questions that are shown below. Simply respond with the question # and the response. Any additional comments will also be welcome at the end of the survey. Much thanks in advance.

UNL MBA Student Survey - Charging of Electric Vehicles

1. What is your gender?

a-Male b-Female

2. What is your age range?

a- 16-30
b- 31-45
c- 46-60
d- 61-75
e- over 75

3. How long have you owned an electric vehicle?

a- Less than 1 year
b- 1-3 years
c- over 3 years

4. How long does it take to fully charge your EV?

a- Less than 1 hour
b- 1 hour to 6 hours
c- 6 hours to 12 hours
d- Over 12 hours

5. How likely are you to utilize a car charging station that charges in less than 1 hour (if technology existed)?

a- Definitely Use
b- Probably Use
c- Not Sure
d- Probably Not Use
e- Definitely Not Use

6. On average, how much do you travel daily?

a- Less than 15 miles
b- 15-50 miles
c- 50-100 miles
d- 101-150 miles
e- more than 150 miles

7. How many times has your EV run out of charge before completing a journey?

a- never
b- 1-5 times
c- 6-10 times
d- more than 10 times

8. The population in the city or town where you live is approximately:

a- Less than 10,000
b- 10,000 to 99,999
c- 100,000 to 499,999
d- More than 500,000

For questions 9-12, please use:
1. Strongly Agree 2. Agree 3. Neither Agree nor Disagree 4. Disagree 5. Strongly Disagree

9. I experience Range Anxiety when I drive my EV.

10. I would be more likely to use a business that had an on-site charging station while I used their services

11. Lack of Public Charging Stations prevent me from driving my EV as much as I'd like

12. I would use my EV even more if I had access to fast charging stations while driving

Additional Comments-

Thank you in advance for your much needed feedback.

HuskerMBA said:

a- Less than 1 hour
b- 1 hour to 6 hours
c- 6 hours to 12 hours
d- Over 12 hours

5. How likely are you to utilize a car charging station that charges in less than 1 hour (if technology existed)?

a- Definitely Use
b- Probably Use
c- Not Sure
d- Probably Not Use
e- Definitely Not Use

Numbers 4 and 5 will need to be reworded because:
Number 4: It depends on where the capacity is before charging and what level of charging used. So you will need to quantify that. For instance, there's Level 1 (120V), Level 2 (240V), and DCQC (480V). I've done a QC to 80%/10 bars in about 22 min. from 6% SoC/one bar. From an L2, it would have taken about 4 hours. From L1, probably around 8 hours.
Number 5: Technology already exists for charging from zero bars to 10 bars in less than 30 minutes. They are called Fast or Quick Chargers. They use DC instead of AC. Here, we have 3 working DCQC stations. Some states have none yet. Nissan will very soon be putting DCQC stations at all of the Nissan dealers. Right now, all Blink charging is free and some ChargePoint.

LEAFfan said:
HuskerMBA said:

a- Less than 1 hour
b- 1 hour to 6 hours
c- 6 hours to 12 hours
d- Over 12 hours

a- Definitely Use
b- Probably Use
c- Not Sure
d- Probably Not Use
e- Definitely Not Use

Numbers 4 and 5 will need to be reworded because:
Number 4: It depends on where the capacity is before charging and what level of charging used. So you will need to quantify that. For instance, there's Level 1 (120V), Level 2 (240V), and DCQC (480V). I've done a QC to 80%/10 bars in about 22 min. from 6% SoC/one bar. From an L2, it would have taken about 4 hours. From L1, probably around 8 hours.
Number 5: Technology already exists for charging from zero bars to 10 bars in less than 30 minutes. They are called Fast or Quick Chargers. They use DC instead of AC. Here, we have 3 working DCQC stations. Some states have none yet. Nissan will very soon be putting DCQC stations at all of the Nissan dealers. Right now, all Blink charging is free and some ChargePoint.

+1 on #5 -- Go Huskers BTW !!! -- my oldest son is a graduate; out here east of you in Chicago, a network of QC stations is almost fully operational at the airports as well as at select Walgreen's locations; a proper question might be about the fees associated with having QC available as its already here; the current provider wants a $7 fee per 'session' which is much more expensive than home charging but you should be on your way in 20 to 30 minutes versus hours. Right now, Walgreen's (as well as a few others) will offer a L2 charge for free but just like on one's home L2 charger that might take a number of hours so much less convenient. If QC was also 'free' or not 4X or more the 'actual' electricity cost I think you would get a different responses.

Thanks for doing this research. Judging by your approach, I'm sure it is more rational than U of Tennessee's determination that EV contribute to pollution because they use coal in China.
1. a-Male

2. What is your age range?
c- 46-60

3. How long have you owned an electric vehicle?
a- Less than 1 year (11 months)

b- 1 hour to 6 hours

a- Definitely Use

6. On average, how much do you travel daily?
b- 15-50 miles

7. How many times has your EV run out of charge before completing a journey?
a- never

8. The population in the city or town where you live is approximately:
c- 100,000 to 499,999 (185,000)

9. I experience Range Anxiety when I drive my EV.

10. I would be more likely to use a business that had an on-site charging station while I used their services
11. Lack of Public Charging Stations prevent me from driving my EV as much as I'd like
12. I would use my EV even more if I had access to fast charging stations while driving

1. a
2. d
3. b
4. b
5. a
6. b
7. a
8. d
9. 4
10. 2
11. 1
12. Comments: Medium priced EVs need to have optional battery pack sizes to meet the needs of various drivers. Many drivers are completely satisfied with the EV as a commuter vehicle, but many others would like to be able to drive up to 150 miles AND have DC quick charging available to allow driving the EV on medium sized trips of perhaps 300 miles each way AT REALISTIC FREEWAY SPEEDS without requiring stays of 5 hours to overnight to recharge.

1 a
2 b
3 a
4 b
5 a
6 c
7 a
8 c
9 - 4
10 - 3
11 - 2
12 - 2

Additional comment:
My next car will also an EV. If EVs are killed again or if I really need an ICE I will buy Nissan, as a thank for their current position on EVs.

1. a
2. c
3. c
4. b
5. a
6. b
7. a
8. d
9. 5
10. 1
11. 4
12. 1

Additional Comments-
Question 5 -
The technology does exist, it's called a quick charger or DC Fast Charger. I've already used it. Note it may only get you to 90% over an hour (80% in 30 minutes), but that's close enough if you need more, you stop for a second Quick Charge.

Question 7 -
I have never been stranded by running out of charge, I always stop to charge en route before that happens. I have taken trips in excess of the vehicles single charge range on dozens of occasions.

1 - a
2 - d
3 - a
4 - b
5 - a (QC charging exists. Just not in NH. My car has the QC port so when it is available I will use it.)
6 - b
7 - a
8 - b
9 - 5
10 - 2
11 - 1
12 - 2

1. a.

2. d.

3. a.

4. c.

5. a.

6. b.

7. a.

8. d.

9. 1.

10. 2.

11. 2.

12. 1.

Comments: In my LEAF I achieve more than 100 miles per charge approximately half of my driving and have taken round trips of more than 150 miles when L2 chargers are available at the mid-point only my stay at the mid point is expected to last more than 4 hours.

1. a
2. b
3. a
4. c
5. a
6. c
7. a
8. b
9. 4
10. 1
11. 3
12. 2

Most times I can make any trips in the metropolitain area I live in. Its the trips outside that area that are limited due to lack of public charging, mostly Level 3.

(doesn't appear that you'll modify your survey so will cover my earlier comments in the 'additional info' section)

1. a
2. c
3. a
4. b
5. c
6. b
7. a
8. b
9. 5. Strongly Disagree
10. 2. Agree
11. 5. Strongly Disagree
12. 3. Neither Agree nor Disagree

Additional Comments-as mentioned earlier, QC does exist but it's limited in my area and quite more expensive than home charging plus, as it's not outside my 'normal' driving range area it really doesn't offer much in extended range for me. If for instance QC was available on the fringe of where I might want to drive (say somewhere in route to Milwaukee or Madison, WI -- we're in a suburb of Chicago) than that extra range may be appealing versus driving my other ICE car as I would today. I'm comfortable with my cars current limitations as it's a very viable daily commute and weekend errand car that fits my 'range' needs --- would it be nice for longer trips, sure but I don't see that as something absolutely necessary for me at present. I do however own a '12 SL which came with the QC port so I do have the flexibility to use that feature should the infrastructure become available but TODAY and based on the current pricing structure I'm neutral on whether I'd use it.

1. a
2. c
3. a
4. b
5. e
6. b
7. a
8. a (remote rural area, not city or town)
9. 5
10. 1
11. 2
12. 4

Other comments:
Question 5, my LEAF does not have a Quick Charge port so I couldn't use QC stations even if they existed. But the chance of such stations appearing where I live is essentially zero.

Question 6, my trips are highly variable since I don't use my LEAF for a daily commute. The shortest routine trip is 18 miles and the longest is about 75 miles.

Question 11, The complete lack of any public charging whatsoever was both expected and factored into my decision to purchase the car. Despite the lack of public charging, the vast majority of my trips and annual mileage are well within the range of my EV; I last bought gas for my backup car in February and the tank is still 3/4 full. The cold weather range of my LEAF turned out to be somewhat greater than I expected.

Once one drives an EV it is really hard to go back to a regular ICE car.

Back