Charging using two 120v outlets?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyderkv

MLF,

I recently discovered a 120v outlet a foot from my multi-unit parking space making life easier than going through the red tape and cost of instalaltion. My question is, can I use both plugs to charge faster equivilent to a 220v 12/24 amp?

I'm guessing 120v outlets are 12amps standard (both combined) so doubling up may not pull more current but what about doubling the volts? I'm not sure how this would work or if their is a device or DIY capability available.

Thanks again

snyderkv said:
MLF,

I recently discovered a 120v outlet a foot from my multi-unit parking space making life easier than going through the red tape and cost of instalaltion. My question is, can I use both plugs to charge faster equivilent to a 220v 12/24 amp?

I'm guessing 120v outlets are 12amps standard (both combined) so doubling up may not pull more current but what about doubling the volts? I'm not sure how this would work or if their is a device or DIY capability available.

Thanks again
Welcome to the forum.

If by "both plugs" you mean the two outlets in the same box or behind the same cover plate, then no. In order to use two 120 volt outlets, they must be on different legs of the supply voltage, and can not be GFCI protected. Most likely another 120 volt outlet nearby will be on the same leg, and if they are outdoors, probably GFCI protected.

There are commercial devices available, and detailed instructions for home brewing, but check your possible supplies first.

If you do find the appropriate circuits and elect to do so, you must have your EVSE upgraded to allow 240 volt operation.

If they are for engin block heaters then they may be a split duplex with each out let going to a different phase in which case you can access the 220V via just the hots. but you'd need to test with a meter first, if you can't do that then talk to an electrition or don't play with it as even 120 is plenty to kill you if you mess up badly enough with it!

Voltage halving and doubling circuits exist for 110v, the simplest use a set of motor run caps of appropriate size.

The trouble is 12 amps going through caps is gonna mean large caps, double plugging is generally also illegal though you can isolate with appropriate circuits and make it safeish.

The trouble here is do you really want a failure prone circuit driving your leaf charger?

If you can find high quality components it can last but caps have a finite life and you never know when they are gonna fail.

The other way is a transformer but it would weigh a ton and isn't worth it from a cost/benefit ratio.

Cheers
Ryan

rmay635703 said:
Voltage halving and doubling circuits exist for 110v, the simplest use a set of motor run caps of appropriate size.
The other way is a transformer but it would weigh a ton and isn't worth it from a cost/benefit ratio.
Both those ideas strike me as losers. Even if you have a dedicated 20A circuit you shouldn't try to pull more than 16A from it. You will lose some of that going through your transformer or motor/generators, and will end up paying a lot and not getting much for the effort (perhaps 7A at 240v). If you can access two circuits, a "Quick 220" or equivalent is the obvious solution rather than electronics to synchronize waveforms from two generator outputs.

Ray

planet4ever said:
rmay635703 said:
Both those ideas strike me as losers.
Exactly. A 20 Amp 120 volt circuit can provide 1,920 Watts continuous. Period.

Back