Cheapest Lvl 1 EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
elmobob said:
I still think these glorified extension cords are way overpriced. China to the rescue please. :lol:

I wouldnt be suprised if we start seeing some inexpensively produced 10/12 Amp L1 and 16/20 Amp L2's coming from overseas sources in the near future. As the fad on EV's continues to grow they will see the interest raise and their interest will also raise to make money.

elmobob said:
I still think these glorified extension cords are way overpriced. China to the rescue please. :lol:

I agree.. There really is no reason for them to cost so much. I suspect the reason is a combination of design effort vs. number actually sold to the consumer as well as the fact little competition exists and so they can charge whatever they want. If EVs ever do penetrate mainstream I suspect the cost of a brand new EVSE will be $75 or less, most of the cost being the copper.

mazdaboi said:
elmobob said:

I wouldnt be suprised if we start seeing some inexpensively produced 10/12 Amp L1 and 16/20 Amp L2's coming from overseas sources in the near future. As the fad on EV's continues to grow they will see the interest raise and their interest will also raise to make money.

They all come form overseas, the Nissan supplied cord form Japan and others now made in China. If really cheap ones are made then expect them to be of poor construction, short life and likely full of compatibility issues. IMO, Panasonic has the best made product today in terms of quality construction, engineering, and reliability. Leer at the bottom of the pile assuming you don't count EV Charge America.

adric22 said:
elmobob said:

I agree.. There really is no reason for them to cost so much. I suspect the reason is a combination of design effort vs. number actually sold to the consumer as well as the fact little competition exists and so they can charge whatever they want. If EVs ever do penetrate mainstream I suspect the cost of a brand new EVSE will be $75 or less, most of the cost being the copper.
adric22 said:

I'm actually very excited for how much competition there is. I haven't seen how much it costs someone like to Levinton to make their EVSE but for example their portable L1 is retailing for $650. If you've tried to make your own or have been following the OpenEVSE project you'll realize that a lot goes into making an OpenEVSE and it all adds up.

Obviously their cost will come down if quantity goes up but I think the EVSE market has done a great job filling out but unless we go away from the EVSE being an active device it's insane to think you can sell one for $75. Not sure you can charge whatever you want when there is so much competition, and I'm sure the reason there is so much competition is because initially there were not very many choices and thus the margins were higher but AFAIC that is no longer the case.

Back