Charging Stations I can use?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davida

I have a new 2024 Leaf that I have only ever charged in my garage.
When I go on a trip, which charging stations will have the correct plug for the Nissan and are safe to use?

Which charging stations will I not be able to use of not be advised to use?

Will Tesla stations have the correct plug?

Thanks for your suggestions.

The standard level 2 charger uses a J1772 plug which is accepted by the LEAF. Your LEAF should also be set up for level 3 charging with a CHAdeMO plug. High speed level 3 charging is somewhat harder on the LEAF battery so you may want to read up on considerations about CHAdeMO charging, especially multiple charges per day. Tesla charging stations are not set up for compatibility with the CHAdeMO connector.

To clarify, the Tesla Superchargers are not set for compatibility with the CHAdeMo connector. Since Tesla also uses low power charging stations that you will find at motels, you can buy an adapter to use those.

CHAdoMo is on the way out so it may be difficult to find a worked CHAdoMo charging station. Log on to PlugShare's website.

There is an aftermarket connector, CHAdoMo to CCS that's being sold for over a thousand dollars. However, it may not work. I would follow the Nomadic Hippie on YouTube as he works with the company that is trying to get it work.

Due to the charging issues noted, the Leaf really isn't a good road tripping car. It's more of a commuter car.

That being said, you can always bring your charging cable to charge at 120/240 volts. Some people have done that.

There is an aftermarket connector, CHAdoMo to CCS that's being sold for over a thousand dollars. However, it may not work.
That one may or may not work, but this one isn't shipping until the 2nd week of June 2024 so it can't be said how good this device is (or isn't). Whether one wants to assume it's the same device as the one that you refer to is still just an assumption.

That one may or may not work, but this one isn't shipping until the 2nd week of June 2024 so it can't be said how good this device is (or isn't). Whether one wants to assume it's the same device as the one that you refer to is still just an assumption.
It looks like the one the Nomadic Hippie is using is selling for a bit over a thousand dollars for one to two units.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/_1600965327203.html

He hasn't done any updates for a while. So maybe he has given up on it, or maybe he hasn't had much time to get back to it.

Electway tested his adapter also with Tesla charger and it is working! (IN EUROPE, I do not know in the US)

Last edited:
I agree on the commuter use of the Leaf. I've never taken my Leaf on a road trip, though I might try this summer. There are only a few Chademo charging stations around. I'll be bringing my Nissan charger to plug into a regular wall outlet just to get enough to get to the next closest Chademo station.

Anyone tried using one of the Tesla NACS adapters for J1772? Is that just equivalent to level 2 at home? Do I need to get a Tesla account or something to use one of the Tesla stations?

Back