Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valdemar said:
rcm4453 said:
The tax credit is there so it doesn't matter what it would be if it wasn't. Costs will come down over time so when the credit does go away it won't matter anymore.

It won't be there for Nissan and Tesla in a couple of years, unless it gets an extension. Will the costs come down to offset the disappearing credit in 2 years? I seriously doubt it.

no, but there is an undeniable fact that the current price/performance with incentives WILL be beaten by price performance without "fed" incentives in 2 years. FYI; the fed tax credit is ending, several state incentives have already ended but that is not true everywhere

This is a Chevy Bolt thread and this discussion really belongs elsewhere, but I think it's worth reframing the discussion as to whether EVs make economic sense. What we really need is for our policymakers to examine the various, future transportation options that do not involve burning fossil fuels. Because it would be very costly for humanity to continue "business as usual", burning fossil fuels like there's no tomorrow. Today, whenever we use fossil fuels, we are externalizing that cost; in other words, we are foisting that cost onto everyone else in the world, and worse, onto future generations.

For car-based transportation, which will likely be predominant in many areas for a very long time, we can use biofuels, hydrogen, or electricity, created/generated from low or zero carbon sources.

Having ascertained that, of those alternatives, EVs generally make the most economic sense, our policymakers should seek to align government policies accordingly. This likely means putting a price on carbon, in a revenue-neutral manner for broader support and to boost the economy, while expanding tax credits for the creation of public charging infrastructure.

With the right policies in place, EVs should be unquestionably cheaper to own and operate than fossil fuel cars. That's simply a matter of good public policy. If in the current patchwork of contradictory policies it takes a $7500 federal tax credit plus state rebates to accomplish that, then so be it. If nothing else changes (i.e., removal of subsidies for oil production, a carbon tax, etc.), then my hope is that the $7500 tax credit will be extended a bit longer, and phased out more gradually. Taking advantage of this tax credit shouldn't be seen as a negative at all; the EV buyer's actions are better aligned with society's interests compared to one purchasing a gas car. Think about all of the home mortgage interest that's deducted on personal tax returns because our society deems home ownership to be beneficial in the long run.

I just found this link to a Seeking Alpha article about VW funding a nationwide charging network, posted last month on the Tesla SuperCharger network thread.

If this truly comes to pass, and reasonably quickly (though I'm not holding my breath), then this could put the Bolt on my radar screen. I like that the Bolt is a hatchback, that it will likely have fewer glitches than a Model 3 (a bigger factor for me since we are some distance away from the nearest Tesla service center), and that it will be available sooner. It also has the appearance of an "ordinary" compact car, a positive for me as I live in a small community and prefer to avoid letting myself be distinguished by expensive-looking cars. Negatives of the Bolt, from my perspective, are that the Tesla SuperCharger network may be tough to match for years to come, that the Bolt is significantly less aerodynamic than a Tesla, that it is a bit small, and that GM dealers will be selling it.

DaveinOlyWA said:
no, but there is an undeniable fact that the current price/performance with incentives WILL be beaten by price performance without "fed" incentives in 2 years.

"undeniable fact" - Really?

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Valdemar said:
Let's be realists, without the tax credit EVs make no economic sense at this moment .
Agreed.
Disagree. Depends on future assumptions and personal details. Notice that the future is unknown. I doubt if the price of gasoline will stay at $2.65 for the next 10 years. Do you? It is about $2.70 now locally, and $4.15 in BC.
Please note the words "at this moment" in Valdemar's statement, which I was agreeing with. Neither of us was saying that that would always be the case, but since we can only guess at future prices for batteries and fossil fuels, or what incentives/taxes etc. may or may not be imposed on the various fuels/techs, predicting that BEVs will be economically viable without incentives at some future date is essentially a SWAG. Here's one guess about future demand for fossil fuels, from McKinsey: http://www.mckinsey.com/industries/oil-and-gas/our-insights/Is-peak-oil-demand-in-sight?cid=other-eml-alt-mip-mck-oth-1607

After all, there used to be a lot of traffic here in the thread talking about the imminent arrival of $5.00/gal gas in the U.S., and I sure as hell wouldn't have predicted that I'd ever be able to buy gas again for $2.00/gal. around here, which is the price the station I use hit briefly in mid-February. It's now back up to $2.60, which is still well below what I'd pay for public charging, and even with home charging (PG&E's residential electric rates are much higher than yours, as cwerdna has detailed) current BEVs cost too much without the tax credit to make economic sense.

WetEV said:
Oh, and what exactly is the "comparable car"?
Any car with similar size and features, other than powertrain of course. An FFE and gas Focus are certainly comparable cars, but the gas can be most people's sole car. For the LEAF, you might compare it to the Altima or a Prius, albeit one is a hatch and the other a sedan.

WetEV said:
There are people in the PNW with seriously lower electric rates and/or seriously higher gasoline prices than me. Enough so they would be break even with current gasoline prices, when compared with a Honda Civic, the car I've chosen as "comparable", and even with the price I paid for a 2012 Leaf.
Sure, in the part of the U.S. with the most ideal climate for batteries and the lowest electric prices, you just may be able to make an economic case. But the PNW along Puget Sound and down to Portland and the Willamette Valley doesn't make up a significant portion of the U.S., in area or population.

NW Europe, which has a much larger population and a similar climate, generally shorter daily driving ranges, and much higher fuel prices (but also much higher electrical rates), has a more reasonable chance of making an economic case for BEVs, but even there it's obvious that PEV sales are driven almost entirely by the amount and nature of subsidies. That point will undoubtedly be made again starting this month in Germany, which up to now hasn't had any subsidies, and has had lackluster sales as a result. Now that they do (starting July 2nd), sales will increase considerably. Even so, here's what's happening with public charging in the U.K., via ABG:
. . . On the other hand, drivers of electric vehicles in the UK don't have to wait until next year to pay more for the privilege of driving. Ecotricity, which operates the UK's EV chargers, has decided to impose a flat fee of 5 pounds (about $6.50) for 20 minutes of charging. In the example Motoring Research uses, 20 minutes at the charger provides a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (one of the UK's best-selling EVs) with about 15 miles of all-electric driving. $2.50 in gasoline would provide roughly the same driving distance.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/09/uk-polluters-ev-drivers-both-pay-dearly-drive/

WetEV said:
GRA said:
IIRR, WetEV calculated that, with an ideal climate and low electricity prices in the PNW, his LEAF would cost him about $1,200 more over ten years than a Prius, which he was willing to pay for ideological reasons. Absent that, and with less favorable conditions, it's not even a contest.
What I actually said:
Thanks, I was going from memory.

WetEV said:
WetEV said:
At the current gasoline price ($2.65), and all the other assumptions, my spreadsheet says I don't break even. I'll spend about $1200 extra to have an electric over the life of the car (assumed to be 12 years). Call it $100 per year. I can afford that. If gasoline goes up, I might do rather better. I pay a yearly fee with my license tabs, and that fee is going up by $50 per year (I think July this year), which isn't in the spreadsheet. Every penny change in the price of gasoline is a roughly $40 swing in break even. And so on.

Note that I don't break even, not someone buying today would not break even. I paid more than the current real actual price (which is almost never MRSP!). Someone buying today could do better. Someone buying in 2011 would do worse. Someone in Abbotsford, BC would break even rather faster. Arizona, no. The "comparable car" wasn't stated to be a Prius (actually a Honda Civic). A Prius would be a very slightly tougher match for a comparable car. Err, and which exact Prius?

While I didn't think about this when buying the Leaf, the Leaf saves me time. Unplug and go! No trips out of my way to get gasoline.
The cost of my time isn't in the spreadsheet.

Frankly, the Leaf is just nicer to drive. It is similar in cost, within the margin of error. To put the motivation as only ideological is just wrong.
I'm curious, would you have even considered (or known about) the LEAF or any other BEV if you hadn't been motivated by some desire to reduce your fossil fuel use? And if it was no nicer to drive than an ICE (many of which are so quiet and smooth nowadays that it's often not possible to tell if the engine is even running - see http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1104016_2017-hyundai-elantra-eco-gas-mileage-road-trip-report, a car comparable to a Civic but with better gas mileage, for an example), would you still choose it? How about if you couldn't charge at home? In other words, which are the essential features to you, and which are the 'nice to have' ones?

GRA said:
I'm curious, would you have even considered (or known about) the LEAF or any other BEV if you hadn't been motivated by some desire to reduce your fossil fuel use? And if it was no nicer to drive than an ICE (many of which are so quiet and smooth nowadays that it's often not possible to tell if the engine is even running - see http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1104016_2017-hyundai-elantra-eco-gas-mileage-road-trip-report, a car comparable to a Civic but with better gas mileage, for an example), would you still choose it? How about if you couldn't charge at home? In other words, which are the essential features to you, and which are the 'nice to have' ones?
I don't care about reduction of fossil fuel use, other than the cost/inefficiency of it as it relates to my pocketbook, and I knew about/bought the Leaf (used, but every vehicle I buy is used). Charging at home is very convenient and was in the "plus" column, as was decreased maintenance requirements, driving experience, etc.

GRA said:
Brad Berman's musing on the significance of the Bolt:
Countdown to the Chevy Bolt: The Next Major EV Milestone
http://plugincars.com/countdown-chevy-bolt-next-major-ev-milestone-131885.html

The article claims GM got lots of insight about EV usage with the help of Volt. BS.

All the insights basically came from others who created EVs - Leaf with its modest price & range, Tesla with it exorbitant price but practical range.

I can't believe that a person writing in an EV magazine would keep spreading this kind of misinformation:

Besides, there's a strong chance that by the time the Model 3 is in full production, tax credits for Tesla vehicles will be depleted

Tesla has already said they are going to game the system and ship as many Model 3's in that 6 month window as possible, possibly hundreds of thousands. Maybe that's not what he considers "full production"? :?
The writer also seems to have inside knowledge that no base model Model 3's will get shipped until mid-2018, which I really doubt. I think Tesla knows that it would mean very bad PR for them if very few base model owners would get the full $7500 tax credit. If Elon truly wants this car to be the game-changer he has hoped for, he must also know that the people who order the $35,000 base model are his target market.
And, GM is going to produce, what, like 30,000 Bolts? How does that qualify as "full production"? That's more like "limited production". Tesla will produce more Model 3's in their first year than GM will produce Bolts in 5-10 years at that rate.
That being said, yes, Tesla has a poor track record on delivery times, but I have more faith in them this time. They know how critical it is that they deliver on their Model 3 promise, so I have high hopes they will meet their deadline this time.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:
Disagree. Depends on future assumptions and personal details. Notice that the future is unknown. I doubt if the price of gasoline will stay at $2.65 for the next 10 years. Do you? It is about $2.70 now locally, and $4.15 in BC.
Please note the words "at this moment" in Valdemar's statement, which I was agreeing with.

A break even calculation for an investment MUST involve assumptions about the future. Even to assume that the future is exactly like the present is an assumption about the future. And again, a break even calculation must include the personal details. Not everyone lives in California. Break even in BC is rather different than break even in California. I get that. Do you get that?

GRA said:
It's now back up to $2.60, which is still well below what I'd pay for public charging, and even with home charging (PG&E's residential electric rates are much higher than yours, as cwerdna has detailed) current BEVs cost too much without the tax credit to make economic sense.

Gas is down to $1.20 a liter in Canada. That is about US$4 a gallon. Note that personal details matter. Local gas prices, local electric rates, how long your commute is, and so on and so forth. Electric rates vary by more than an order of magnitude. Gas prices vary a lot, both by location and by time. Battery life expectation varies a lot, even with thermal management systems.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Any car with similar size and features, other than powertrain of course.
How about the car I would have bought if not a Leaf?

GRA said:
the gas can be most people's sole car.
Not a requirement to be my sole car, in my case. And with longer range EVs, more people can use them as the sole car.

GRA said:
Sure, in the part of the U.S. with the most ideal climate for batteries and the lowest electric prices, you just may be able to make an economic case.

It is more accurate to say that the battery electric and the gasoline care are similar in lifetime economic cost, and this is correct outside the PNW. Include the convenience of an electric, and there would be a fraction of people that would drive a BEV, even where the cost was somewhat higher, even without uncounted costs like bad air and climate change. And note, the fraction that finds an electric rarely will use expensive public charging.

I don't see how hydrogen fuel cell cars ever improve to the point of being similar in cost. Even if they did, they would be less convenient. Where is the fraction of people that will convert? Ideological reasons (aka breathable air and minimal climate change) only?

GRA said:
WetEV said:
Frankly, the Leaf is just nicer to drive. It is similar in cost, within the margin of error. To put the motivation as only ideological is just wrong.
I'm curious, would you have even considered (or known about) the LEAF or any other BEV if you hadn't been motivated by some desire to reduce your fossil fuel use?

Considered and knew about, yes, because I worked with an electric car owner in 1996. Conversion, of course. Lead acid, of course. And more.

GRA said:
which are the essential features to you, and which are the 'nice to have' ones?

Electrics are smooth and responsive in a way that gasoline cars can't be. Just nicer to drive. That plus commuting convenience.

I'd consider a Bolt if:

Commute only, with a commute on the order 40 miles to 100 miles. Less than that, I'd chose a Leaf, or perhaps a FFE in hot places. Twice this distance with both workplace charging and home charging. Would need to be in a household with additional car or cars, with home charging. Too short of commute, probably better biking or walking.

Only car. Maybe. Would need home charging. For me, at least, I would need to be retired, and problem would be living some place else. Range would need to cover all trips I'd be likely to take once a year or more often, with destination charging considered.

evnow said:
GRA said:
Brad Berman's musing on the significance of the Bolt:
Countdown to the Chevy Bolt: The Next Major EV Milestone
http://plugincars.com/countdown-chevy-bolt-next-major-ev-milestone-131885.html

The article claims GM got lots of insight about EV usage with the help of Volt. BS.

All the insights basically came from others who created EVs - Leaf with its modest price & range, Tesla with it exorbitant price but practical range.

I fail to see how GM could not have learned anything from the Volt.

They have a plug-in car with "unlimited" range. And they have a histogram of actual trips taken by owners. They know the driving and charging patterns of tens of thousands of owners.

They have a robust TMS which has been in the field for 5 1/2 years, with no noticable loss in battery performance. If anything, maybe they know where to cut corners on the Bolt to still get acceptable performance with less cost.

They also learned a major marketing shortcoming of the Volt - interior space. The market has turned away from small cars and towards larger crossovers. And that goes for EVs too. People don't just use an EV as a commuter - it is their primary local car. That means it needs to haul large purchases home. And it needs to pick up the kids from practice. And take a group of people out to lunch.

These are just a few lessons GM could have learned from the Volt. Not to say that they couldn't have learned from the Leaf/Model S, but let's be realistic here. Most companies are much more focuses on their own products than their competitors' (for better or for worse).

GetOffYourGas said:
They have a robust TMS which has been in the field for 5 1/2 years, with no noticable loss in battery performance.

TMS isn't the whole story. Using only half of the battery capacity is part of the story, as is better battery chemistry, and using the unused battery capacity to hide loss.

Somehow I doubt if the Bolt will allow use of only half of battery capacity. I suspect that the Bolt will not allow for easy readout of remaining battery capacity, to hide the loss.

WetEV said:
GetOffYourGas said:
They have a robust TMS which has been in the field for 5 1/2 years, with no noticable loss in battery performance.

TMS isn't the whole story. Using only half of the battery capacity is part of the story, as is better battery chemistry, and using the unused battery capacity to hide loss.

Somehow I doubt if the Bolt will allow use of only half of battery capacity. I suspect that the Bolt will not allow for easy readout of remaining battery capacity, to hide the loss.

Absolutely true. But that doesn't change the fact that GM learned about the effects of the TMS through their experience with the Volt.

I suspect the Bolt will use over 50kWh of the 60kWh battery. That's 83% or more. That's more stressful than the Volt, but only if you actually use it. I will be interested to see whether Chevy allows the driver to set the target charge level. If I could, I would typically charge a Bolt to 60% M-Th and 100% on F-Su.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
Please note the words "at this moment" in Valdemar's statement, which I was agreeing with.
A break even calculation for an investment MUST involve assumptions about the future. Even to assume that the future is exactly like the present is an assumption about the future. And again, a break even calculation must include the personal details. Not everyone lives in California. Break even in BC is rather different than break even in California. I get that. Do you get that?
As I've repeatedly stated that your situation is very different than that of most Americans, its should be obvious by now that I get that. Having worked with RE, I've known for decades now that its economics are entirely situationally dependent, and PEVs are currently no different.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
It's now back up to $2.60, which is still well below what I'd pay for public charging, and even with home charging (PG&E's residential electric rates are much higher than yours, as cwerdna has detailed) current BEVs cost too much without the tax credit to make economic sense.
Gas is down to $1.20 a liter in Canada. That is about US$4 a gallon. Note that personal details matter. Local gas prices, local electric rates, how long your commute is, and so on and so forth. Electric rates vary by more than an order of magnitude. Gas prices vary a lot, both by location and by time. Battery life expectation varies a lot, even with thermal management systems.
Where have I ever said or implied that personal usage, local climate and situations don't matter? I've stressed repeatedly that they are critical, here and in numerous other threads.

WetEV said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:
Any car with similar size and features, other than powertrain of course.
How about the car I would have bought if not a Leaf?
Sure. If you were thinking of a Civic, it's a bit smaller than a LEAF, so an Accord would be a closer match.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
the gas can be most people's sole car.
Not a requirement to be my sole car, in my case. And with longer range EVs, more people can use them as the sole car.
For the people who own homes and are able to use a dedicated car for commuting (and only for commuting and local use, and who have relatively low cost electricity and relatively high cost gas, they can be economic, maybe even without subsidies. But that's a lot of qualfications.

As for longer-ranged affordable BEVs, once they arrive they may certainly be usuable as some people's sole car, although I expect they still won't have enough range to take more than 5-10% of that market, given current and (my guess) likely near/midterm conditions as well as consumer needs/desires/expectations. We'll see.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Sure, in the part of the U.S. with the most ideal climate for batteries and the lowest electric prices, you just may be able to make an economic case.
It is more accurate to say that the battery electric and the gasoline care are similar in lifetime economic cost, and this is correct outside the PNW. Include the convenience of an electric, and there would be a fraction of people that would drive a BEV, even where the cost was somewhat higher, even without uncounted costs like bad air and climate change. And note, the fraction that finds an electric rarely will use expensive public charging.
And yet, the fraction of people who find BEVs compelling given their current capabilities, even when bribed with other people's money, is minimal. We know that there's some even more minimal fraction who will drive this or that type of AFV regardless of the cost, because they're enthusiasts or ideologues, but we can't count on them for significant change.

BTW, turning your statement around, I think you meant that only those people who don't have to use expensive public charging will find BEVs economic. Since that leaves out the majority of the world's urban population, I don't see that as acceptable.

WetEV said:
I don't see how hydrogen fuel cell cars ever improve to the point of being similar in cost. Even if they did, they would be less convenient. Where is the fraction of people that will convert? Ideological reasons (aka breathable air and minimal climate change) only?
I've always been clear that H2/FCEVs, to succeed, will have to have comparable or lower costs than fossil fuels. The question is whether or not that can be achieved, through technical developments, economies of scale, and/or tax policy, and I've said repeatedly that if it does occur it will happen first in areas with much more expensive (owing to taxes) auto fuels, like Europe.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
I'm curious, would you have even considered (or known about) the LEAF or any other BEV if you hadn't been motivated by some desire to reduce your fossil fuel use?
Considered and knew about, yes, because I worked with an electric car owner in 1996. Conversion, of course. Lead acid, of course. And more.
Okay, my first exposure to BEVs is similar to yours and predates it by a few years, when I had an off-grid customer in the early '90s who'd converted a Karmann Ghia, and then I kept an eye on the tech through the '90s, rented/tested a Think City for a week in '97 or '98, and kept following them until the LEAF/Volt arrived. With their limited capability at that time, it was clear that only the most enthusiastic/ideological types would have an interest in them. Not much has changed yet, although I do have hopes for Gen 2.

GRA said:
which are the essential features to you, and which are the 'nice to have' ones?
Electrics are smooth and responsive in a way that gasoline cars can't be. Just nicer to drive. That plus commuting convenience.

I'd consider a Bolt if:

Commute only, with a commute on the order 40 miles to 100 miles. Less than that, I'd chose a Leaf, or perhaps a FFE in hot places. Twice this distance with both workplace charging and home charging. Would need to be in a household with additional car or cars, with home charging. Too short of commute, probably better biking or walking.

Only car. Maybe. Would need home charging. For me, at least, I would need to be retired, and problem would be living some place else. Range would need to cover all trips I'd be likely to take once a year or more often, with destination charging considered.[/quote]
Okay, good. Here's my list:

Single person household so only car, and must be capable of all trips at least in state - may be willing to rent for out of state trips, but would prefer not to. Used primarily on road trips, including in winter, so needs long winter freeway/highway range while using HVAC - 250+ miles desired. Must provide that range over at least a decade (20 years preferred) without expensive replacements. AWD strongly preferred, but don't need excessively-high ground clearance. Rapid refueling/recharging very much preferred for convenience and practicality, as most of the places I drive to and park have limited and, in most cases, no electric infrastructure. No ability to charge at home currently except by jury-rigged L1, and public L2 currently more expensive than fossil fuel options, so BEVs currently provide no convenience or cost benefit. Has to be affordable - $35k is the absolute outside I'm willing to pay for any car. Must have space to sleep in with rear seats folded flat.

I'm essentially deaf now so don't much care about noise levels, but VH needs to be reasonable. Needs decent ride, and a driver's seat/seat position comfortable for at least four hours at a stretch, including adequate lumbar support and leg room. Must have decent or better handling for driving twisty mountain roads at speed, and good steering feel/feedback. 0-60 acceleration must be adequate to do a safe merge into fast moving freeway traffic from a dead stop at an on-ramp metering light; in practice anything under 15 seconds is adequate, but < 10 sec. is preferred. Must have adequate passing performance at density altitudes up to at least 8k feet, and ability to maintain flow of traffic speeds up to at least 10k feet while fully loaded internally, and/or with skis on a roof rack. Wagon/Hatchback/CUV body style mandatory, and prefer a vehicle no more than 180" long. Four passengers is plenty, no need for more than 5, and most of the time 2 is all that is required. Must have space to carry a full-size spare and a jack, preferably without encroaching on normal cargo space. Controls need good ergonomic design, and those used while driving must be identifiable/usable by touch, i.e. no touch screens/menus. CC mandatory, maybe ACC, along with standard safety features ABS/airbags/ etc. and AEB. Full autonomous capability desired if mature, but not essential. The widest possible field of view is more important than how the car looks, or achieving the smallest possible C, but it should be as energy-efficient as possible while meeting the above requirements.

Taking all the above into account, at the moment an HEV CUV makes the most sense for me, although a PHEV like the Outlander (whenever it gets here) would give me a bit of future proofing and options. The A3 Sportback e-tron would be the nicest driving and have the best controls, but is a bit lacking in cargo capacity with the seats up and isn't AWD, and probably falls short of my long-term reliability requirements. FCEVs are at least another generation away from being suitable, if they ever are, although the Tucson would probably meet most of my requirements other than price. It's a bit short on range, though, given the current sparseness of fueling stations outside my local area - another year or two and that may no longer be an issue.

GRA said:
No ability to charge at home currently except by jury-rigged L1, and public L2 currently more expensive than fossil fuel options, so BEVs currently provide no convenience or cost benefit.
Just curious - what do you mean in your case by "jury-rigged L1"? I ask because, in your circumstances, it would appear that L1 charging could be totally adequate, assuming you could leave your car parked and charging for long periods of time.

Perhaps a future "Tesla Model Y" CUV could meet most of your requirements, save for the tactile controls (which I think I'd also prefer for a handful of the most common functions). Even a cheaper, used Model S might work if you could manage without AWD (that's what I personally have in mind).

That said, as much as I like Tesla vehicles, I have more confidence that a Bolt would prove cost-effective to maintain over the long haul. A Bolt would be a hard sell for your use cases without the equivalent of a SuperCharger network, of course. On the other hand, with extra patience (beyond what I'd expect of any "normal" consumer), a Bolt could be driven cross country by making use of RV parks and overnight L2 charging, much as the earliest Tesla owners found. Given time, more rural, non-Tesla charging options will likely arise.

Also, assuming the cost of electric charging is not too high and a battery pack that is truly engineered to last the lifetime of the vehicle (perhaps as long as 20 years), perhaps a purchase price greater than $35K could be justified.

abasile said:
GRA said:
No ability to charge at home currently except by jury-rigged L1, and public L2 currently more expensive than fossil fuel options, so BEVs currently provide no convenience or cost benefit.
Just curious - what do you mean in your case by "jury-rigged L1"? I ask because, in your circumstances, it would appear that L1 charging could be totally adequate, assuming you could leave your car parked and charging for long periods of time.
Running a 50' extension cord out a door/window isn't an energy-efficient option during the 4 to 6 heating months a year, even assuming my landlord (or I) was okay with the potential liability.

abasile said:
Perhaps a future "Tesla Model Y" CUV could meet most of your requirements, save for the tactile controls (which I think I'd also prefer for a handful of the most common functions). Even a cheaper, used Model S might work if you could manage without AWD (that's what I personally have in mind).
My sig on TMC says something like "The Model S/X are too big and expensive for me. I"m waiting for a small AWD CUV on the Model III platform, but lose the Falcon Wing doors - some of us need to carry kayaks." Actually, even Model Y is bigger than I'd like. Of course, unless the public charging issue can be solved, both locally and away (I'm monitoring the SC situation in Groveland, and just detoured there 35 miles R/T during a Sierra trip last week to see if construction had begun; it hadn't), it won't matter. And the Model Y or whatever will undoubtedly come with touch screens, which renders it unacceptable to me from a safety standpoint. Hopefully, we and/or experience have at least convinced Elon that the Falcon Wing doors aren't going to cut it. Additionally, the Model Y's range, while marginally acceptable when new (I could make it work given appropriately placed SCs, but it would be a pain) still would have an inadequate range over the lifetime of the car, as would any other affordable Gen 2 BEV. I expect it will be at least Gen 3 before BEV range @ price is acceptable to me.

abasile said:
That said, as much as I like Tesla vehicles, I have more confidence that a Bolt would prove cost-effective to maintain over the long haul. A Bolt would be a hard sell for your use cases without the equivalent of a SuperCharger network, of course. On the other hand, with extra patience (beyond what I'd expect of any "normal" consumer), a Bolt could be driven cross country by making use of RV parks and overnight L2 charging, much as the earliest Tesla owners found. Given time, more rural, non-Tesla charging options will likely arise.

Also, assuming the cost of electric charging is not too high and a battery pack that is truly engineered to last the lifetime of the vehicle (perhaps as long as 20 years), perhaps a purchase price greater than $35K could be justified.
Assuming I can still come up with the cash up front by then, although I'll undoubtedly be retired. OTOH, if local car-sharing using fully autonomous cars does arrive in the next 5-10 years, I may well be able to do away with owning a car altogether, and just rent whenever I need to. Realistically, except for emergencies and occasionally being lazy/not wanting to deal with inclement weather, I have little need to own a car for local use, and if I didn't own one now that was all paid for and good for years yet, I might well try to go carless. It sits in my driveway all week anyway. Renting would be possible for trips, although you can never be sure what's going to be available so that can be an issue (especially as I'd have to buy/keep multiple sets of chains on hand).

GRA said:
Running a 50' extension cord out a door/window isn't an energy-efficient option during the 4 to 6 heating months a year, even assuming my landlord (or I) was okay with the potential liability.
Installing a simple outdoor outlet would help, and might make sense for a long term tenant to pay for, but I don't know how much more of a cable run you'd still have.

Yeah, the Falcon Wing doors aren't necessarily a blessing for everyone...

As for range on the Model Y and price, it depends what Tesla ends up charging for larger battery sizes.

As for touchscreens and safety, I think they're okay for simple stuff like adjusting the climate control, as the positions of the Tesla on-screen "controls" are consistent and can be learned (from what I've seen). For that matter, I haven't had any issues using the LEAF's touchscreen (within reason) while driving. I anticipate that at some point in the future, we'll have touch pads/screens capable of simulating low-profile tactile controls like sliders, i.e., that can change shape on the fly. Now that will be cool!

In general, I agree that people like you whose day-to-day driving is limited or nil, coupled with long range requirements for the trips that are taken, may not objectively be the best candidates for "affordable" Gen 2 EVs. Going out of one's way to make an EV work becomes the norm rather than the exception.

On the other hand, as you know, it can be fun and rewarding to directly participate in the growth of EVs and other "green" technologies. I've enjoyed the opportunities I've had to drive our LEAF to campsites, hotels, and the homes of friends/relatives, and am glad to continue to get use out of a 5.5 year old Gen1 EV on its original battery pack. When we finally buy a longer-range EV, we'll really appreciate it, even though we'll continue to have to make special accommodations to charge it at times. Our time on this Earth is so short and it's a blessing to be able to share the time with people we care for, doing things we're passionate about. We're trying, anyway.

GRA said:
As I've repeatedly stated that your situation is very different than that of most Americans,

As is your situation very different from most people. BEVs would work for a lot of people before they will work for you.

GRA said:
As for longer-ranged affordable BEVs, once they arrive they may certainly be usuable as some people's sole car, although I expect they still won't have enough range to take more than 5-10% of that market, given current and (my guess) likely near/midterm conditions as well as consumer needs/desires/expectations. We'll see.

Change happens over time. Hybrid cars, for example. Larger up front cost, lower running expense. Break even point is around $1.50 gasoline or less.

US_HEV_market_share_1999_2014.png

If longer ranged affordable BEVs hit 5% market share by 2020 I'll be surprised. And pleased. Hybrids have not done so.

GRA said:
And yet, the fraction of people who find BEVs compelling given their current capabilities, even when bribed with other people's money, is minimal. We know that there's some even more minimal fraction who will drive this or that type of AFV regardless of the cost, because they're enthusiasts or ideologues, but we can't count on them for significant change.

I don't see how we get significant change anytime soon. I have, and I will, work for change that can be achieved.

GRA said:
BTW, turning your statement around, I think you meant that only those people who don't have to use expensive public charging will find BEVs economic. Since that leaves out the majority of the world's urban population, I don't see that as acceptable.

Present day, sure. I have not a clue what the world is going to be like in 2050. If you think you do, you are probably wrong.

Smart move, IMO, for GM to use its Lyft investment to get passengers in the seats of Bolts.

Lyft and GM’s Express Drive Expands to Colorado and California

Welcomes Chevrolet Bolt EV in California

Lyft and General Motors today announced the expansion of their Express Drive short-term vehicle access program to California and Colorado, including the all-new 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV.

Launching in San Francisco in the summer of 2016 and in Los Angeles by the fall, Express Drive’s California members will have access to vehicles from the largest electric vehicle fleet in ridesharing, including the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV (available late 2016) and the extended-range electric 2016 Chevrolet Volt. Express Drive will also launch operations in Denver by the fall of 2016. Express Drive will also launch operations in Denver by the fall of 2016. In San Francisco, Los Angeles and Denver combined, over 130,000 people who applied to become Lyft drivers but didn’t have qualifying cars will now have the opportunity to drive on the platform...
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2016/jul/0711-lyft.html

But I would think anybody carrying passenger's in a BEV for a living would demand 100% reliable DC sites, even more so than private drivers have.

And GM so far has made zero contribution towards public DC infrastructure.

Good luck any to private Bolt owners (or owners of any other BEV with an SAE combo port) trying to access the limited network of public SAE combo DC sites during (or just prior to) surge pricing periods in LA/SF, if significant numbers of of Lyft Bolts are on their roads...

abasile said:
GRA said:
Installing a simple outdoor outlet would help, and might make sense for a long term tenant to pay for, but I don't know how much more of a cable run you'd still have.
I'm essentially in an outbuilding off the main house, with only a two breaker box in my closet, so any run would likely involve trenching and a whole lot of hassle. It's not worth it for something that, even if I had it, wouldn't meet my critical needs.

abasile said:
Yeah, the Falcon Wing doors aren't necessarily a blessing for everyone...

As for range on the Model Y and price, it depends what Tesla ends up charging for larger battery sizes.

As for touchscreens and safety, I think they're okay for simple stuff like adjusting the climate control, as the positions of the Tesla on-screen "controls" are consistent and can be learned (from what I've seen). For that matter, I haven't had any issues using the LEAF's touchscreen (within reason) while driving. I anticipate that at some point in the future, we'll have touch pads/screens capable of simulating low-profile tactile controls like sliders, i.e., that can change shape on the fly. Now that will be cool!
Personally, I find climate controls the most critical system that requires no-look usability, as I use them more than any other non-driving control while underway. 'Radio' controls come next, although my deafness pretty much limits the usefulness of those now. Even so, audio controls have to have a push-on, push-off/twist for volume button sized to be unmistakable, or I'll pass. Channel pre-selectors and manual tuning need physically distinguishable buttons as well. I don't care about phone functions, as I refuse to use a phone in the car while moving.

abasile said:
In general, I agree that people like you whose day-to-day driving is limited or nil, coupled with long range requirements for the trips that are taken, may not objectively be the best candidates for "affordable" Gen 2 EVs. Going out of one's way to make an EV work becomes the norm rather than the exception.
Uh-huh. Much as I'd like to be able to justify a switch, it just makes no practical sense for me at the moment. Should my housing or job situation change and the infrastructure improve how I need it to, maybe it would, but I don't expect either for the next several years. And I'd prefer to keep doing what I am, as I specifically choose where to live to minimize my use of motorized personal transport, and energy in general.

abasile said:
On the other hand, as you know, it can be fun and rewarding to directly participate in the growth of EVs and other "green" technologies. I've enjoyed the opportunities I've had to drive our LEAF to campsites, hotels, and the homes of friends/relatives, and am glad to continue to get use out of a 5.5 year old Gen1 EV on its original battery pack. When we finally buy a longer-range EV, we'll really appreciate it, even though we'll continue to have to make special accommodations to charge it at times. Our time on this Earth is so short and it's a blessing to be able to share the time with people we care for, doing things we're passionate about. We're trying, anyway.
Yeah, I understand, but I think I got that out of my system a couple decades back, twisting myself into knots to use RE in situations knowing it made absolutely no economic or practical sense whatever. :D Once I started designing systems and selling the equipment to other people, a more rational approach was necessary, and forced me to look at stuff from outside the enthusiast's bubble. Of course, many of my customers were also enthusiasts, but I made sure they first told me what they were trying to accomplish, and understood their options.

Back