Chevrolet Spark EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blackmamba said:
Maybe your Tesla is great from 0 to 50, but I don't think you are convinced it could beat the Spark if both were even up and accelerating from 50 to, say, 90. And keep in mind the Spark costs 1/4 what your Tesla costs, and is being promoted as a city car, so be fair in your judgement.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know you're "fond" of the SparkEV and no disrespect is intended but, there was nothing about my test drive of the SparkEV that made me think a Tesla Model S P85, S85, or S60 wouldn't be 100 meters ahead of a SparkEV by the time the SparkEV got to 90 mph. Furthermore, the handling characteristics of the SparkEV I drove, convinced me to never drive it over 70 mph unless I'm fleeing the Sharknado.
Furthermore, I know the 400+ ft-lb torque is somehow connected to the SparkEV drive train marketing materials but honestly, I never it felt it at the wheels. Maybe that requires a 50-90 run?
On the plus side, I didn't feel much torque-steer, unlike the Rav4EV. But then, I didn't feel excessive torque either. No, I don't want to bet 20% of anything, nor race. I'm just posting my impressions of a test drive and comparing that drive to EVs with which I'm familiar. I'm sure there will be a SparkEV-Tesla face-off sometime in our future. Try to believe me when I say that there was no comparison with the SparkEV test drive I took and my first "stomach-against-spine" test drive in a Model S. Or better yet, drive a Model S yourself and give us your comparison.

I also had no trouble remembering that it costs 1/4 of a Model S nor 95% of a LEAF. It drives / feels very much like a $12k car except for the quieter, smoother, more muscular acceleration of an EV. In my mind, I was sizing it up next to my 2011 Nissan LEAF. It is quicker than the LEAF, only noticeably above 40 mph IMO.
However, I will do another test drive with higher speed roads when I do the back to back compare with the 500e. I also want to get a feel for road noise. I couldn't get the salesman to zip-it long enough to get sense of that last time.

I keep wondering why GM didn't electrify the Sonic instead of the Spark. Or even make a pure BEV out of the Volt...

Was part of their strategy to limit the appeal of the car so they wouldn't get flak for not producing enough?

RonDawg said:
Small crossover SUVs are becoming more popular over there. The Nissan Qashqai is supposedly the UK's 6th best-selling car.
Not surprising. I don't have to go far for an example, my German relatives bought one not long ago. Look forward to the EV version of Kia Soul. Participated in an early market study for that vehicle. Could be interesting!

Bicster said:
I keep wondering why GM didn't electrify the Sonic instead of the Spark. Or even make a pure BEV out of the Volt...

Was part of their strategy to limit the appeal of the car so they wouldn't get flak for not producing enough?
My guess is that with the platform was chosen so the engineers could hit a cost target. No matter what GM says the Spark EV is a compliance car. I wouldn't expect a second generation one.
The next generation platform for the Volt (derivative of the Cruze platform) has probably been designed to also support a BEV. Given that GM is going to need a decent selling BEV at some point to meet the (brain dead) CARB requirements, a 100+ mile BEV based on that platform would seem a decent bet. Changing an EREV to a BEV is pretty simple. Just take out the engine and all the software. A skateboard design would make that even simpler.

Bicster said:
I keep wondering why GM didn't electrify the Sonic instead of the Spark. Or even make a pure BEV out of the Volt... Was part of their strategy to limit the appeal of the car so they wouldn't get flak for not producing enough?
Again ... is it so hard for people to fathom there is a car market outside of the USA and it may be different.

Why are people not thinking more globally with the SPARK-EV? Other countries sure don't mind smaller cars and find them a necessity in some cases (i.e. parking, city street size, etc, etc).

After all the LEAF sold more way more than half ... 43K outside of the USA+Canada.

75K - (31215 + 700) = ~43K
Worldwide - (USA + Canada) = ~43K
USA & Canada sales from goodcarbadcar. 75K from news the other day.

TonyWilliams said:
scottf200 said:
Why are people not thinking more globally with the SPARK-EV?
Ya, let me guess, that's what GM spokesholes have said. So, tell me, how many has GM sold "globally" other than a CARB compliant state in the USA?
I've actually never heard that from an GM person or any other person. Just an observation when visiting other countries recently. It is radically different than here. Made me pay attention to other articles and see how other small cars are the normal elsewhere because the USA.

I'm not sure they have sold any globally yet but it has been announced a few times. I don't get why people can't think about global auto sales planning tho. We only seem to think about the USA and this is our entire "world".

Look at global sales for various car companies Nissan, Ford, etc, etc. They need global sales to keep profitable now and especially in the future. Yes?

scottf200 said:
I don't get why people can't think about global auto sales planning tho. We only seem to think about the USA and this is our entire "world".

I've been all around the world a few times, so I'm not your target audience. I've lived in some REALLY crappy and dangerous parts of the world, too.

Bicster said:
I don't think Spark EV will be sold outside the US. It can't be a profitable car, can it?

The bottom line is the bottom line.... I suspect, as you seem to, that this is a cash cow that must be built for CARB. Hence, it won't ACTUALLY be sold anywhere except where they must sell it; CARB states.

I'm painfully aware how this view doesn't line up with the GM spokeshole's press releases.

I would love to eat crow, by the way, and see the Spark on sale across the USA or even in other markets. It seems like a great first car.

Bicster said:
I would love to eat crow, by the way, and see the Spark on sale across the USA or even in other markets. It seems like a great first car.

I was actually impressed overall, for a micro car market car. I think it likely is far better than the oil version.

I believe GM has announced they will sell the Spark EV in Korea and Europe. That doesn't mean it's not a compliance car. In my mind a compliance car is one that the manufacturer builds primarily to meet CARB requirements, and I think the Spark EV meets that criterion. Without CARB I doubt GM would have built the Spark. (FWIW I think the CARB regulations represent governmental meddling of the worst sort but that's a different issue).
Given that I doubt the battery in the Spark will degrade like the Leaf's battery, I think the Spark is a much better value than the Leaf. The fact it goes further on less electricity is a plus as well. It is small but the limited range you get from the packs in both the Leaf and the Spark means you're not going anywhere in those cars anyway, so the focus on passenger room seems misplaced.

TonyWilliams said:
scottf200 said:
I don't get why people can't think about global auto sales planning tho. We only seem to think about the USA and this is our entire "world".
I've been all around the world a few times, so I'm not your target audience. I've lived in some REALLY crappy and dangerous parts of the world, too.
Yes, I've gotten that impression from your post over the years. I wasn't really trying to point this out to you but I see various other naive responses. Not sure if naive is the right word but hopefully my point about the global market needs to be done makes sense to all.

scottf200 said:
Living on the west coast, I've been to areas where the majority of people speak a language other than English. I think GM should seriously consider selling the Spark throughout the US. They are probably thinking from a northern Midwestern perspective. My personal experience comparing the two regions indicates that larger cars are needed in the Midwest. Spark should sell just fine in many areas of the US. Let's hope they eventually make that decision.

It is not confirmed but I heard the Spark will soon be gone/changed significantly here in CA/US. This is a stop-gap platform.

EVDRIVER said:
It is not confirmed but I heard the Spark will soon be gone/changed significantly here in CA/US. This is a stop-gap platform.

I thought that was obvious? Of course they'll move on to something besides a converted micro sized oil burner built in Korea.

Like Toyota with the Prius, the obvious answer is a 100% electric Volt platform. They seem to be working on that.

sparky said:
However, I will do another test drive with higher speed roads when I do the back ...
Just don't take it over 70 mph ... :mrgreen:

No one is mentioning the elephant in the room: GM has stated repeatedly they lose 10 grand on each Spark EV. So the car is not going anywhere else besides CA and OR until other states of the Union decide to twist GMs arm. As far as the rest of the world, that's up in the air. It is compliance car, no question about it.

One thing is for sure though, they're popular and they're hard to get. I happened to jump on mine as soon as it showed up in Novato, and there are none available now. Maybe in October, said the manager.

Love my Spark! Yes it has its quirks and yes, it moves around at freeway speed at a hint of any breeze, let alone wind. And it needs a software bulletin badly. I put GM on notice. As I said before, I learned my lesson and I leased.

ILETRIC said:
No one is mentioning the elephant in the room: GM has stated repeatedly they lose 10 grand on each Spark EV. So the car is not going anywhere else besides CA and OR until other states of the Union decide to twist GMs arm. As far as the rest of the world, that's up in the air. It is compliance car, no question about it.

re: the losing 10K on every car --- are you sure you aren't thinking of the Fiat 500e? I've seen several posts about it losing dough on every car, I don't think I've seen anything like that on the Spark.

Back