Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoke to Nissan CS again today. My car has been added back to the queue. Unfortunately there are 6000 (ICE) cars in front of my car that need to be accessorized first. There is no way to get my car in front of the queue.

Given that people already have delivery dates till the end of the year and I just was added to the end of the queue I can not see how I am getting my car this year. I have a bad feeling about the Illinois rebate.

I am getting so fed up about this I wish that I could tell Nissan to shove the car where the sun does not shine. Maybe I should wait for the Model S.

dutchinchicago said:
Spoke to Nissan CS again today. My car has been added back to the queue. Unfortunately there are 6000 (ICE) cars in front of my car that need to be accessorized first. There is no way to get my car in front of the queue.

Given that people already have delivery dates till the end of the year and I just was added to the end of the queue I can not see how I am getting my car this year. I have a bad feeling about the Illinois rebate.

I am getting so fed up about this I wish that I could tell Nissan to shove the car where the sun does not shine. Maybe I should wait for the Model S.
Hi Dutch. This really sucks! If you worry that the IL rebate won't be there next summer, you could have a California orphan shipped to you. They offer as much as $2000 below MSRP. That way you may get about half the rebate for sure. Just a thought.

lukati said:
...you could have a California orphan shipped to you. They offer as much as $2000 below MSRP. That way you may get about half the rebate for sure. Just a thought.

That's what I did, and it's real easy.

The main caveat is that it must be a cash deal. No leases. Fontana Nissan will make all the arrangements with a shipper to transport your car to you.

The car won't be titled or registered in California, or subject to California sales tax. All you'll get is your bill-of-sale contracts along with something called a "Certificate of Origin". If Illinois laws are the same as Florida, you would just take the documents to your local DMV/tax collector's office and register the car and get a title (and pay Illinois sales tax), just like a local car dealer would if you bought the car in Illinois.

As you can see from my sig, it took just a little over a week from the time I first contacted Fontana Nissan about buying an orphan and the time the car was delivered to my door.

If I am not mistaken a car needs to be purchased from an Illinois dealer to be eligible for a state rebate. Please confirm.

Ramesh said:
If I am not mistaken a car needs to be purchased from an Illinois dealer to be eligible for a state rebate. Please confirm.

That's is most unfortunate. From this document:

http://www.illinoisgreenfleets.org/fuels/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"VEHICLE REBATE

The vehicle must be purchased from an Illinois dealership and the purchase invoice must show that the business is located in Illinois. No out-of-state vehicle purchases are eligible."

Florida doesn't offer any incentives, so we can pretty much do whatever we want.

The IL rebate is worth 10% of base MSRP, or about $3,500 for an SV. Dutch worries that if he misses the December deadline for an IL purchase, there won't be any rebate money left at the next deadline in June. By getting an orphan shipped at $2,000 below MSRP, Dutch would forfeit the rebate, but pay substantially less for the car, in effect securing about half the rebate amount.

My delivery date change from DEC 9 to pending :shock:
I talked to the dealer and he said nothing has changed and it should be here soon... whew

My status has changed from Dec. 10 to Dec. 20, FYI. I'm really hoping it arrives by Christmas and certainly before 1/1/12.

My delivery date was just pushed out further.
History:
Month of December to Dec 15 to Dec 16 then Dec 22 and now De 26.
Yup dissapointing.... Hope I get it befor end of year!
Libertyville Nissan, Illinois.

My delivery date never said pending. It slid as far back as the 23rd, as far forward as the 17th, is now the 19th and hasn't changed from that for over 2 weeks.

I haven't heard from my dealer other than questions about charger (appointment canceled) cash & carry etc.

I am ready. Charger's installed & tested. Check from asset liquidated is in my checking account; loan for rest approved & ready. Insurance quoted & saved just need to call & implement.

....all have left to do is order a couple of those (my apologies.......) "pee-on gas pumps" stickers for the back window.... :lol:

OldQuadDog said:
My delivery date was just pushed out further.
History:
Month of December to Dec 15 to Dec 16 then Dec 22 and now De 26.
Yup dissapointing.... Hope I get it befor end of year!
Libertyville Nissan, Illinois.

Crap, mine now says 12/26 as well! It looks like a number of us will not be getting delivery before the new year.

Now have the Schnieder charge station installed. The green status led is bright eough to be a nightlight to find the recycle bin in the dark garage. Also got a vin 171xxx from Nissan. No delivery update closer than first two weeks in Jan. 2012. since it doesn't seem like anyones' getting an early delivery, rebates will have to wait a year. Hope Il. has money in the kitty next year!

My dealer called today to say my car had been loaded on a train for shipment and everything was on schedule for the 23rd (Libertyville).

I won't be able to pick up until the 28th though.

I had occasion to stop by the dealership (repairs on my VW Beetle) and climbed into their LEAF display model. I also confirmed their 2 L2 plugs out front.

I am a big guy and considering getting the rail extenders http://extendmyseat.com/. I wonder if the dealership will install. The site says that Toyota dealers have a firm policy of not installing after-market parts.

Also, I will be heading out to Hoffman estates for 2 weeks of training starting in Jan. Distance should be within normal range 29 miles one-way. Just worried about the cold weather effects. I called Woodfield Nissan which is less than 2 miles away from my destination, and they said their chargers were only for Woodfield customers. :(

We may want to start making a thread about Chicago-land dealers and who they will let charge at their stations.

lukati said:
bigtlb said:
We may want to start making a thread about Chicago-land dealers and who they will let charge at their stations.
+1. Could be very useful.

I'll be sure to ask McGrath Nissan in Elgin when I take delivery (online reservation still stands at 'week of Dec 10th') I would assume hopefully later this week ... no calls yet, had expected my car at the dealer yesterday but no news yet.

I would have thought though that the dealer EV chargers would show up on maps of the available chargers but as the infrastructure still isn't quite there yet postings here could be helpful. I do know that McGrath has had their chargers in place since about Labor Day and with only a single demo car, I'd be surprised if they said existing LEAF customers only could use it but we'll see. We've had just a few deliveries over the last few weeks posted on this thread so those who know should possibly just add it in their signature as I will too -- the problem in the 'burbs versus the city is that things nearby the dealer may not be as accessible as say a mall or retailer (like Walgreen's or Kohl's) or even train or turnpike center but it's helpful until these other charging stations get established. While we've been waiting, I checked the trips on the car we'll be trading in, trying to use it as we would the LEAF and we shouldn't have really any issues getting back to home base to charge it and only needing to charge it perhaps every 2 to 3 days (definitely every Sat/Sun when we do most errands). The occasional trip from where we are to Kenosha (Mars Cheese Castle-- r/t 95 miles) or Madison (U Wisc -- r/t 121 miles) would be be a stretch or not possible without a charger along the way but with how long L2 chargers take may not be practical yet either for awhile. Once again, for how we plan to use the LEAF having a home 'refueling' station works well for us, anything else is a just a bonus and making the car that much more useful in the longer term; down the road having more range versus the extra cost still won't totally replace our long trip ICE but I guess we can all imagine that some day.

Can still remember traveling with my '98 New Beetle TDI when we first bought it and scouting out diesel stations although on the highway it could go close to 725 miles on a tank, although still no where near as popular as regular 'gas' cars, we have many more diesel stations than in '98 so one can hope. The opportunity and/or challenge is once again we're talking electric versus simply adding a pump and fuel storage tank at an existing gas station for diesel. I would think the cost would be much less but how many EV's are actually on the road today? Still not very many so we all could be waiting awhile.

I just stop at my Leaf dealer Al Piemonte Nissan in Melrose Park, IL. My sales person Fred Meek said that they have been unable to contact the person who ordered the 2012 Black Leaf that came in with mine on Nov. 30th and they are willing to sell it. If interested call Fred at (708) 343-3800.

I did a ChargePoint test at a Walgreens yesterday. I pulled up and called the number on the instruction panel. I had to give my name and email address (no credit card) and the EVSE was promptly activated. I then asked for a ChargePoint card and they told me it would arrive in the mail in a few days. Everything free of "charge".

Dealer called today (Rosen Honda/Nissan in Gurnee, IL) and the car is 'in'. Expecting a day or so of dealer prep, we scheduled a pick up Thursday the 15th.

Working on my iTunes playlist of "electric" songs for the drive home.... Electric Avenue by Eddie Grant, The Electric Slide, etc. you get the idea.

Looking forward to being a part of the revolution!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back