Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As always, you think being one of the first to make a reservation would = earlier delivery than those who reserve after you but not necessarily !! Can't say I wasn't warned with my color choice of Cayenne Red but have already seen at least one red or possibly more have taken delivery already around Chicagoland. Called Nissan CS this morning as my online date still shows 'week of December 10th' but all they could say is its in the states and en route to my dealer; next call should be from the dealer. The more interesting thing is that it may not actually be the 7 days from what's posted online even though that is of course what the site states (7 days will of course be this Saturday), the CS guy did have a sense of humor and concern in that he said if it doesn't arrive by this weekend to not freak out as at most it may show up early next week. So again, still in a holding pattern until I get 'the call' -- as it is it would have been hard to get away today, tomorrow or Friday (even with our currently gloomy weather would prefer delivery during the daytime hours) -- still hoping for a 2011 delivery!

Hang in there. Its absolutely worth it. Its been a delight to have the Leaf and the drive is great.

redLEAF said:
As always, you think being one of the first to make a reservation would = earlier delivery than those who reserve after you but not necessarily !!
It is disappointing that Nissan is not taking better care of its early reservation holders. You should have been among the first to take delivery.

Got a call from Nissan. They are expecting my car to arrive at the dealership on Dec 20 and expecting me to be able to pick it up on the 24th.

Unfortunatly the dealer is closed on the 24th so maybe the 26th.

I think I need an invoice marked paid for my illinois rebate. If I pay by check will they give me an invoice marked as paid?

What sales tax will be applied to this purchase?

My car came in to the dealer today. My salesperson is going through training and they are prepping the car, so I will pick it up on Friday. An SL in black.

I agree that redLEAF should have had the first car to arrive. I'm sure it will be soon, red.

dutchinchicago said:
Got a call from Nissan. They are expecting my car to arrive at the dealership on Dec 20 and expecting me to be able to pick it up on the 24th.

Unfortunatly the dealer is closed on the 24th so maybe the 26th.

I think I need an invoice marked paid for my illinois rebate. If I pay by check will they give me an invoice marked as paid?

What sales tax will be applied to this purchase?

No question that if you pay by check they should give you an invoice that shows you 'purchased' the car for the IL EPA rebate requirement otherwise they wouldn't let you leave with the car w/o paying! Be prepared to bring multiple checks (at least the last dealer I dealt with in the past wanted that; yours may allow purchase/taxes/lic fees all on one check) for the separate charges for transfer/registering for plates, etc. -- probably for their internal accounting. As far as sales tax, the rate will be charged based on where the car is registered (your home address) -- in Cook County seem to recall two sales taxes being charged, they roll up to 7.5% where I live, yours could be different based on what your county charges. Someone had said earlier that if you elect to get the EL (EV plates) that there is no prorated amount for year end '11, just the $35 for 2-year issuing + $95 for new title -

I still haven't heard anything from my dealer or Nissan beyond my latest dashboard update of 12/26. My order was also placed on 8/2 so it has been a long wait. At this point, I am just going to step away and stop checking and just enjoy the holidays. Congratulations to everyone who has gotten their cars.

Ordered 9-29-11 nissan sez delivery week of 1-2-12. Vin # 171xxx. charge station set up. So we'll see if it delivers on time. The dealer (McGrath in Elgin) has been right on so far.

tech01 -- hey, that's my dealer as well, my former rep had said I was going to be their first delivery let's see what happens !!

dino -- hey, that's my color too !! you must have had those EN plates on another car to get them on your new LEAF so quick; first red LEAF in IL to be pictured on the forum for sure, best of luck to all of us this winter; my garage is heated so no worrys overnight but we all know how cold it can get just sitting in a parking lot during the day at work/school -- many congrats on your new arrival --- I guess this could also be considered the first customer owned LEAF citing in IL as well

Mine's officially delivered! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It has ~ 70 miles on it now, picked it up yesterday evening, went to dinner, drove home, drove around the neighborhood and finally plugged it in with 7 miles remaining SOC. Charged until about 3 AM, drove it to work this morning. It's 29 miles one way and the air temp was 22 F. Got to work with 50 miles SOC - climate control off - 44 on left in the 'tank'. 29 miles home so I should be more than fine.

Zero gasoline will be burned my me today!!!!!

EL plates are on order... think I messed up on the IL rebate though, sent the form only didn't send the "marked as paid" invoice. Will have to forward separately I guess.

Those with cars - isn't this awesome? Those still waiting - if it gets bad - PM me and I'll bring this one over. Not as good as your own, I know, but better than nothing.... ;)

redLEAF said:
you must have had those EN plates on another car to get them on your new LEAF so quick

Yep, I just had to have them so I got them early. Although they looked stupid on my gas car for a few months I think it was worth it.

I'm going to the FVEAA meeting tonight.
http://www.fveaa.org/content/view/5/3/
I see that Scott will be there with his Volt.
it's about 65 mi round trip for me so range anxiety will be an issue if I can't get a little refill while I'm there. I wonder if any other Leafs will be there

Dino said:
redLEAF said:
you must have had those EN plates on another car to get them on your new LEAF so quick

Yep, I just had to have them so I got them early. Although they looked stupid on my gas car for a few months I think it was worth it.

I'm going to the FVEAA meeting tonight.
http://www.fveaa.org/content/view/5/3/
I see that Scott will be there with his Volt.
it's about 65 mi round trip for me so range anxiety will be an issue if I can't get a little refill while I'm there. I wonder if any other Leafs will be there

Would be about 60 r/t for me but alas no car yet -- you should let us know if other LEAF's show up and if they do make sure you mention the forum --

willnotbuygas said:
EL plates are on order... think I messed up on the IL rebate though, sent the form only didn't send the "marked as paid" invoice. Will have to forward separately I guess.

Does the state acknowledge receipt of the application and communicate if something is missing/incomplete or will we just get a letter in the spring telling us yes or no?

redLEAF said:
you should let us know if other LEAF's show up and if they do make sure you mention the forum --
I was the lone Leafer there.

Scott did a really nice presentation on the Volt.

Range wasn’t much of an issue. I did stay off the toll roads and I was the only one in the car. On the way there I used the heat sparingly but kept the seat heater on. I learned that you can have the heat on with the vent in recirculate, at least until the windows start to fog up. I’m not sure if that would really save much energy, it might be just as well to leave it in auto and let it do it’s thing. On the way back I used more heat and drove faster and got back with 15miles left. Although I did charge there on 110 for about an hour which should equate to about 5 miles. I forgot to set a trip meter but total distance should have been about 60 miles.

Hawk Ford had the Transit Connect Electric there. But it had only 20mi of range left and no way to charge it so I gave him my cord so he could make it back to Oak Lawn. He said he lived nearby and would charge there overnight then bring the Van and my cord back to Oak Lawn in the morning. (I live close to Oak Lawn) Kind of strange for them not to have a charging cord, it seemed the whole electric thing was kind of new to them !

Dino said:
redLEAF said:
you should let us know if other LEAF's show up and if they do make sure you mention the forum --
I was the lone Leafer there.

Scott did a really nice presentation on the Volt.

Range wasn’t much of an issue. I did stay off the toll roads and I was the only one in the car. On the way there I used the heat sparingly but kept the seat heater on. I learned that you can have the heat on with the vent in recirculate, at least until the windows start to fog up. I’m not sure if that would really save much energy, it might be just as well to leave it in auto and let it do it’s thing. On the way back I used more heat and drove faster and got back with 15miles left. Although I did charge there on 110 for about an hour which should equate to about 5 miles. I forgot to set a trip meter but total distance should have been about 60 miles.

Hawk Ford had the Transit Connect Electric there. But it had only 20mi of range left and no way to charge it so I gave him my cord so he could make it back to Oak Lawn. He said he lived nearby and would charge there overnight then bring the Van and my cord back to Oak Lawn in the morning. (I live close to Oak Lawn) Kind of strange for them not to have a charging cord, it seemed the whole electric thing was kind of new to them !

Thanks Dino. I appreciated the help during the presentation when the one guy misunderstood that 54-kW "generator" is turned into a motor to work in conjunction with the 111-kW traction motor for electric high-speed charge depletion mode driving. There were a lot of confused faces as I don't think many people realize it can run in two-motor mode. I finished the presentation at 2am the previous 'night' so I didn't have time to rehears so it was not very smooth.

Hope you come to future meetings as I'd like to talk to you some more. Glad you had plenty of miles to get there and back. Normally the cars can be pulled into that back area but they had a fork lift in the way last night. As it warms up perhaps we can go for demo/test drives in each others car. I've never driven in a leaf yet.

Very cool of you to give the Ford guy your cord. I saw you pulling away and I started to chase after you since I saw the cord. He then told me you let him borrow it. Most EV folks are very cool.

Dino said:
Preliminary estimation of fuel cost for new rocket car using TED 5000. About 4 cents per mile

This includes preheating while plugged in

2005 chevy Malibu 27mpg $3.25/gal = 12 cents per mile

Excellent! I see you are paying $0.12/kWh. I assume this is the regular Comed price. With real-time pricing the cost can be substantially lower.

https://il.thewattspot.com/loadHome.do?method=loadHomePage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nighttime rates are currently at or below $0.025/kWh. When you factor in additional charges that are calculated on a per kWh basis, the actual price is about $0.053/kWh. So it may be possible with conservative driving to achieve 1 cent/mile.

Back