Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.journal-topics.com/business/article_444576e6-3e1b-11e1-8e6a-0019bb30f31a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
btw read this

YashuV said:
http://www.journal-topics.com/business/article_444576e6-3e1b-11e1-8e6a-0019bb30f31a.html
btw read this

Thanks. That is huge for me. I work just down the street in glenview.

dutchinchicago said:
This is our only car so that makes it more difficult. (...) The car is parked outside. (...) I am hoping to get about 28-29K for the car.
My Leaf is also an only car and I anticipate that I will have to borrow or rent an ICE car on occasion (hopefully not more than once or twice per year). Is it possible and feasible to use a car sharing alternative where you live (Zipcar, IGo)?

You seem to be doing everything you can to get good range. The only thing reducing range is probably the fact that the car is exposed to the elements at night and thus the battery is colder than it would otherwise be. Preheating outside a garage is probably also less effective than inside. Any chance you can keep the car inside overnight? If you do sell your car, please let us know how that goes. I would ask Carmax to price the car to get a feeling for what is a realistic asking price.

Don't know if it has been reported, but at the Walgreens at Addison Road and Lake Street in Addison has a charging station. I don't have my Leaf yet, but I still keep my eye out for charging stations.

I just checked the charge point app and it shows the 2 golf mill charging stations. It does not show the high powered one. I assume we will have to obtain a new card for this one and whole foods.

I can not find the charging stations at woodfield mall on either recargo, chargepoint or the in-car navigation. It would have made for a completely different journey. Where can you see them?

It looks like I can get 15.5 kwh from 100% full to low battery warning ( according to carwings). How does this compare to other people?

I think all the fast chargers are waiting for ul licensing at the moment. I got an e-mail from 350green and they said that they are not aware of any fast chargers currently operational in the USA. All their fast chargers are waiting for ul ratings.

If you search for fast chargers on any charging station web site you will not get any hits. Hopefully we will start to see many appear soon.

I took a picture of DC charge station at Golf Mill Mall.. For people in the area:
2 level 2 charging stations are located by the food court entrance from Milwaukee Ave side.
1 DC charge is located by Golf Mill Mall on Greenwood Avenue at PNC Bank, that one says ready to charge tap your card to a scaner it says.

The level 2 parking spots were occupied by ICE :(, no signs are added or anything so it sucks. They need to fix that issue, people need to learn now or never.

As for woodfield mall charging stations... sorry my bet, I swear I have seen somehwere on internet about them having one.
Maybe visit Golf Mill Mall... they got 2 hehe ;-)

Our experience over the last 14 days is: range goes down as temperature goes down, preheating car with the carwings function is helpful, my GOM has been remarkably accurate +/_ 2mi. Have gotten home every day with 6-10 mi. left on GOM charging to 100% every day as our routine varies every day. Our garage is attached insulated but otherwise not heated, parking outside while shopping, the cold battery temp warning has appeared. Snow day we couldn't take the suspense of snow handling. Eco is the way to fly. Eco reduces the power to the motor and a more aggressive regen mapping so it lacks a different gear, but acts like down shifting on power let off. Less torque on take off makes less likely to exceed tire grip potential. Tested the car during the snow storm on numerous steep grades. The tires grip very well and we experienced no traction problems at all. we do carry an extension cord with the idea that 110 might be available but out of reach. The people across the street have a Volt and they are dissatified with the heater. The engine runs at temps below 25 degrees. Thus mileage goes down to about 25 mi on electric only, they do leave the vehicle outside though. Double think dumping the Leaf, no carwings either! We do miss a sun roof, the cup holders are inconveniently located, we would like the front seat to go back further, but overall we love this car. Early adopters have to be creative adapters. ;)

dutchinchicago said:
Mid city Nissan just offered me $19000 for the car.

I had hoped for at least $25000.

Whoa ... talk about a depreciation hit! Just for argument's sake, why not stop by a Carmax; they always seem to top the dealer's but still wholesale -- I had the best luck with my older trade and used Carmax' quote so the dealer matched it and of course got the sales tax savings as well ... in the case of your (almost) new LEAF I think you had mentioned that you were going to look at Volt's so your car may interest a Chevy dealer who sells them as well. Carmax doesn't have any LEAF's listed in the midwest so it's a worth a try at least. I saw later than my trade was listed on the dealer's own used car site so all the B.S. they were giving me (needs new tires, no one wants navi in a economy car, etc., etc.) were all hot air so I'd back off as they obviously didn't just wholesale it like they said they would. Majority of us here all think you should stick it out a bit but as its your only car can't totally blame you ...

There's someone on Craigslist Chicago looking for a used Leaf. Might be worth a shot. It is Craigslist so be careful. It was posted a few days back..

My plates came in the mail today. I'm #297. The sticker is indeed good through 12/13. Interesting that it says the Renewal Fee is $130.00.

Bzzzzz said:
My plates came in the mail today. I'm #297. The sticker is indeed good through 12/13. Interesting that it says the Renewal Fee is $130.00.

Perhaps mine will be waiting for me when I get home; maybe #300 ?? ... hopefully that $130 renewal fee is incorrect, perhaps it simply included your new title ($95) first time fee? You'll need to wait towards the end of '13 to see what the next two years will cost I would expect anyway.

EDIT: Here is an interesting statistic that shows how few EV's there are in IL; this site 'spots' the various license plates in each series and back on 11/2009 the 'EL' series was only at 252 !! that means only 45 EV's since (of course this also applies to converted ones as well) but a very low number; wonder what the first 'EL' series went on a LEAF?

http://www.licenseplates.cc/highs/il

Got #298 yesterday.

My registration showed "pending registration" which is strange and also the $130 renewal which hopefully is not true.

#300 'EL' is looking better for me, no plates yesterday ...

on another range post during the cold weather; yesterday did a 30 mile R/T and with the snow and ice, decided to preheat before I went home; used ~ 50 mile on the GOM as it showed 29 available from a starting point of 80 on the GOM in the AM (charging at 80% except for the weekends) once I got back to my garage. Not sure how much juice the preheat uses but the car was toasty and no ice scrapping needed. I can see if I needed 50 actual where I might be limping along. The rest of the week it's the wife's car at no more than say 10 to 15 miles per day so we don't recharge until Friday night.

Now you all have me curious on the EL plates registration renewal charge ... once I get mine may call IL SOS office if it's not clear ... those that have asked also have that contact info so feel free to contact them yourself as well. If you lost it send me a PM ...

I'm pretty sure the renewal is applicable to dec 2013. If you look at attachment, you should see receipt notation of $130 deposit.

Does anyone know how to change the day of the week on the Leaf? I am trying to charge differently on Friday and Saturday but it seems to be doing this on different days so I think the day of the week is wrong.

SOS office just down the road from me. I'll stop and see if anyone there knows about the renewal fee. Is the $130 for 2yrs? Dirty silver lately. We've been charging to 100% doing 55-65mi. daily during this weather. Parked in the garage @ about 40 degrees. Preheating but running the heat in the morning showing 3.5 kw usage. Carry a 50' ext cord in case juice is avaialable but slightly out of reach. We're half def but cranking the stereo doesn't seem to reduce range!

Back