Colorado State tax credit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ku4ever2

I am looking at leasing a Leaf SV in Colorado. I have seen mention of the Colorado tax credit. Do I need the dealer to officially "sign" it over to me since it doesn't seem to apply at the time of contract for the lease?

Also, I am getting quoted a deal for roughly $190/month+tax, $0 down for a 24month Leaf SV with the Premium package (MSRP 34,400). I am getting VPP pricing and an extra $500 off. Looking at the other threads this seems like a good deal but curious what others think?

I am leasing a Leaf 2013 S (no added packages) for $77/month out of pocket. $2,000 down, 24 months, 24,000 miles.
I was quoted $151/month out of pocket. Again, $2,000 down, 24 months with 24,000 miles on 2013 Leaf SV (no added packages).
I live in WI, and only the $7,500 Fed Tax Cr applies. I have phoned dealers all over the US looking for similar deals, but no luck. So, I am sure that I got a great deal.

I ordered GE 240 Level 2 Charger through Lowes for $755 plus tax.
My insurance is approx $850/yr with $250 deductible.

I was spending a little over $200/month on gas alone before I bought Leaf. For me leasing for $77 with 2,000 down made perfect sense. For my family Leaf is a great second car. My employer lets me charge at work if I am ever running low on battery.

For my last 2 cars, Altima and Leaf, I have negotiated over the phone and went down to the dealer to sign the papers and pick up the car. 99% of the dealers do not like negotiate over the phone, 'cos they are able to get more when you are on their premises.

My advice to those looking to lease/buy a 2013 Leaf. Do your research, be patient and negotiate hard? Nissan and the car dealer need your money more than you need the car.

Good Luck!

Ranjit

ku4ever2 said:
I am looking at leasing a Leaf SV in Colorado. I have seen mention of the Colorado tax credit. Do I need the dealer to officially "sign" it over to me since it doesn't seem to apply at the time of contract for the lease?

Also, I am getting quoted a deal for roughly $190/month+tax, $0 down for a 24month Leaf SV with the Premium package (MSRP 34,400). I am getting VPP pricing and an extra $500 off. Looking at the other threads this seems like a good deal but curious what others think?

Read Colorado tax publication 67:

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue/REVX/1193047059436" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that this document was revised in December 2012 and earlier versions had a very different approach to tax credits for leases. The earlier versions are still available from some web sites so if you hear conflicting information that is probably the reason.

The current situation is that you can claim part of the credit on your 2013 taxes. The document lists the credit available as $4812 for model year 2011 and 2012 LEAFs. It does not mention 2013 LEAFs. Probably the credit will be similar if not the same for 2013 model year LEAFs but there is no guarantee, and that probably is why dealers don't talk about it.

Your deal sounds very good for Colorado, but I haven't been shopping for 2013 LEAFs so can't say for sure. As a standard practice I always suggest emailing the internet departments of a few dealers and asking them for quotes on an identical LEAF just to see if anyone can beat that price. Do have them quote you the amount after tax. Depending on where you live it should be only a few dollars (in Colorado sales tax on cars is based on where you live, not on the location of your dealer) per month, but I've known a few dealers to claim that tax adds up to $100/month to a lease (in fact what they are doing is adding dealer extras into the lease, not just taxes, to bump up the price). Therefore, suggest you get final price before going in to sign the deal.

Back