community charging ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k2msmith

I understand when I get my leaf, I am going to be able to optionally register my charger (being installed today) as a site which shows up on their computer map (in the car ?). That raises a curious question. Will others be able to see this in their car ? How is does community charger/sharing work ? my gut feel is that i would be happy to provide some reasonable use of my charger to travelers if there is reasonable (and honest) intentions. Any feedback on how this has been working in practice ?

Hi,

Glad to hear you are getting your LEAF soon.. very cool. If you charge at your house, or any other private charging station, your car will remember that spot and when you pull up the list of chargers through the in car GPS system, you will see those new charging spots on the map. No one else will see those private charging stations that your car adds (or that you manually add into the system).

I do know there are some iphone "apps" that do allow you to list your home charging dock as "available" for others to use (I don't have an iphone). Hopefully someone else can chime in on that one. Here at the beginning of this technology, I would be willing to let someone charge up if they find themselves in my neighborhood and running low. Maybe there is a website out there that has a similar function? It's nice to help out the early EV owners when we can.

-Peter

Back