Consumer Reports reliability

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SteveInSeattle said:
Did anyone notice that the 2011 Leaf scored a perfect "Much better than Average" (Red Dot) in every category? The 2012 scored only average in electrical.
CU has noted in past years that a particular model/year/category will have rating limitations until a "satisfactory" number of reports are received. It goes back in part to when they rated the 1974 Fiat 128 a "Best Buy" based on limited initial data. Needless to say, it did not ultimately prove to be that reliable to own, just inexpensive to buy. Our's quit and rolled silently to the side of the freeway after only 12,056 miles - our introduction to the future sound of the LEAF.

Yep, I believe that CR learned from that mistake (and others) and has not published data without a sufficient sample size and correlation in quite some time... That being said, my 1971 Fiat 124 Sport Spyder turned out to be extremely reliable and gave me 100,000 trouble free miles. Maintenance was the key.

HighDesertDriver said:
CU has noted in past years that a particular model/year/category will have rating limitations until a "satisfactory" number of reports are received. It goes back in part to when they rated the 1974 Fiat 128 a "Best Buy" based on limited initial data. Needless to say, it did not ultimately prove to be that reliable to own, just inexpensive to buy.

adric22 said:
Can you post a screen-shot here?
2fIP6eO.png

Per another article, CR considers the fuel system of an EV to be the battery pack and associated power handling systems...

DeaneG said:
I'm relieved to see that the fuel system should be reliable in my 2011 car.

Reminds me of the surveys I get in the mail about the LEAF that ask me the gas mileage and whether it is a 4 or 6 cylinder...

CR is falling down on the job...

It only scores reliability, not how well or efficiently it works...

As far as exhaust, I suppose they have to put something in the box and let's face it; the lack of a particular item IS going to give a great reliability score for that area. :lol:

surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:
What is the exhaust system then (that scores so high)?
They probably meant the cabin heater. Not sure why it scored so well though ;-)

Back