COVID-19 aka 2019 (and 2020) Novel Coronavirus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/1...f-risk-confirms-young-adults-not-invincible/

In an alarming development, however, scientists in China are now reporting that the new coronavirus does not spare the very young. In the first retrospective study of Covid-19 among children in the country where the pandemic began, they count 2,143 cases in children. Of those, they report in the journal Pediatrics, more than 90% were mild or moderate, confirming earlier observations that children are at lower risk of severe disease. (That may be because the molecule that allows the virus to enter human cells seems to be less developed in children.)

But 6% of pediatric cases were severe and even critical, compared to 19% of adult cases. And in an unexplained finding, nearly 11% of the Covid-19 cases in infants were severe or critical, though no babies died. An important caveat, however, is that some of what doctors believed to be Covid-19 might have been another respiratory disease, including respiratory syncytial virus, which is known to cause severe illness in children.

Yup, nothing to worry about - if the possibility of being hospitalized for a severe respiratory illness (but probably not dying) is nothing.

Meanwhile, head above sand, I read something both alarming and possibly hopeful, as it may show a way to reduce the deaths from COVID 19.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article..._medium=email&utm_campaign=editorspicks032220

In Italy, where the number of deaths has now surpassed those in China, public health officials reported on March 17 that among 355 people who died, a whopping 76 percent had hypertension and 33 percent had heart disease. And among more than 44,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in China (SN: 2/25/20), the case fatality rate for people with underlying conditions was highest for those with cardiovascular disease, at 10.5 percent compared with the overall fatality rate of 2.3 percent.

Researchers know generally that infections can take a toll on people who have other health problems. But SARS-CoV-19, the virus that causes COVID-19, may pose particular danger to the heart because of how the virus gets into cells, researchers speculate.

To invade a cell, SARS-CoV-2 latches onto a protein called angiotensin-converting enzyme 2, or ACE2 (SN: 3/3/20). This protein is found on cells in the lungs, allowing the virus to invade these cells and cause respiratory symptoms. But ACE2 also is on heart muscle cells and cells that line the blood vessels.

(...)

Considering the involvement of ACE2, COVID-19 may damage the heart directly, researchers write in a commentary in Nature Reviews Cardiology March 5. According to studies out of Wuhan, China, where the outbreak started, some people with COVID-19 have developed myocardial injury, the death of heart cells for reasons other than a heart attack.

But ACE2 does more than offer an entry point for SARS-CoV-2. The protein is also part of a wide-ranging system of hormones, called the renin angiotensin aldosterone system, that regulates blood pressure and cardiovascular and kidney function. Drugs that target other parts of this system are widely prescribed to lower blood pressure in people with hypertension and cardiovascular disease.

Two classes of these drugs — ACE inhibitors and angiotensin II receptor blockers — are getting some scrutiny during the COVID-19 pandemic. ACE inhibitors block ACE proteins, which are different than ACE2 proteins. The aim is to prevent ACE from helping to make a protein called angiotensin II, which increases blood pressure in the arteries. Angiotensin II receptor blockers, or ARBs, stop angiotensin II from functioning.

There is some evidence in animals that use of these drugs can lead to more ACE2 protein on cells in the heart. But there haven’t been studies showing this in people, or studies in the context of COVID-19. Nor have there been reports describing the types of medications that patients who’ve had severe COVID-19 or have died from the infection were taking.

But the animal evidence has led some to wonder if the use of ACE inhibitors and ARBs can increase the risk of severe disease. “If you look at the mechanistic rationale for concern … it’s there,” although at this point it’s “an extrapolation,” Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md., said during a webcast interview with the editor in chief of JAMA on March 18. “We really need to get data, and we need to get data fast.”

Until there’s more research, the American College of Cardiology, the American Heart Association and the Heart Failure Society of America are advising people with hypertension, cardiovascular disease or heart failure to continue taking these medications. For those who develop COVID-19, the condition of the individual patient should be considered to determine whether it’s necessary to stop the drugs, the groups recommended in a statement released March 17.

My high blood pressure is largely stress-related, as opposed to constant, so I'm going to stop the lisinopril I take, as a way to possibly avoid the severe version of COVID-19. I've already confirmed that I have one or two alternatives for keeping my BP low that are not ACE inhibitors.

A few weeks back, I signed up for a daily science news summary. This was in that. I almost missed it, as it was accompanied by pieces on the "Wonder Chicken" and other, somewhat more trivial, discoveries.

I wonder if this is the first of a new category of pathogen that targets (by accident, not intention, obviously) weaknesses in our bodies created by our huge reliance on pharmaceuticals. It has been found that Italian men are much likelier to die of CV-19 than are Italian women. Since men complain more about their health, and doctors tend to take their concerns more seriously, this could, possibly, be correlated with the use of ACE inhibitor blood pressure meds...

LeftieBiker said:
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/1...f-risk-confirms-young-adults-not-invincible/

In an alarming development, however, scientists in China are now reporting that the new coronavirus does not spare the very young. In the first retrospective study of Covid-19 among children in the country where the pandemic began, they count 2,143 cases in children. Of those, they report in the journal Pediatrics, more than 90% were mild or moderate, confirming earlier observations that children are at lower risk of severe disease. (That may be because the molecule that allows the virus to enter human cells seems to be less developed in children.)

But 6% of pediatric cases were severe and even critical, compared to 19% of adult cases. And in an unexplained finding, nearly 11% of the Covid-19 cases in infants were severe or critical, though no babies died. An important caveat, however, is that some of what doctors believed to be Covid-19 might have been another respiratory disease, including respiratory syncytial virus, which is known to cause severe illness in children.

Yup, nothing to worry about - if the possibility of being hospitalized for a severe respiratory illness (but probably not dying) is nothing.

Per the CDC, <5% of confirmed U.S. cases were of <=19 age group. Hospitalization rate for that group is <1%, with as noted no ICU admittals or deaths. If you really want to worry about the risk of serious health issues or death in that age group, we should keep them from driving or riding in cars until they turn 35. After all, auto accidents are the greatest cause of death for Americans aged 1-34.

O K., here you go my. China est. Annual deaths from air pollution (2016) 1.58 million. U S. deaths from same with about 1/4 the population ca. 30,000. Do you suppose the much higher levels of pollution there might result in more young people with respiratory problems? We are not China.

It should be all over the news this morning but the last 24 hours, we have blown up especially New York. We have exceeded the curve of Italy and will be #1 by the end of the week. 5 Republican Senators are quarantined so the Dems have the advantage. See what happens now.

The Hammer and the Dance.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

1*ok3NLISRGvK-4SQyDA5KTg.png

Multiple news sources reporting Anosmia, the loss of sense of smell, and Ageusia, an accompanying diminished sense of taste, have emerged as peculiar telltale signs of Covid-19.

Former MSNBC legal analyst Dan Goldman reports that these were among the symptoms both he and his wife suffered.

When this is over, it will be interesting to see if the increased deaths due to CV (and suicides from isolation) will be outweighed by fewer deaths from air pollution and auto accidents.

The last could go either way - there are fewer cars on the road, but they're moving faster, so while total accidents should drop, there may be a higher % of fatal ones. Then there's the unknowns re closure of bars - fewer drunk drivers, but likely an increase in DV/child abuse as people drink more at home, with their families.

It will probably take years to get the data and argue about what it means, before a consensus is reached.

LeftieBiker said:
Reminds me of SETI at Home, which I ran for years.

Same here. Seti did become part of BOINC near the end of my use. BOINC was nice in that you could spread out your computer time over various projects. But in the end I decided my meager contribution wasn't worth the electrical consumption and wear and tear on my machines. I might crank it up again though if it's really helping with COVID 19.
Edit -- Ah, funny. Just updated Boinc and it still remembered me; my last work was 2014 -- my two active projects were Seti@home and Rosetta :). Guess I'll give Rosetta 100% for awhile.

I just learned my county's COVID-19 testing is a freaking disaster.

Santa Clara County Has Tested Just 647 (!!!) Patients for COVID-19
http://www.sanjoseinside.com/2020/03/23/santa-clara-county-has-tested-just-647-patients-for-covid-19/
In response to San Jose Inside’s demands for more comprehensive testing data, the Santa Clara County Public Health Department finally posted information admitting how little they do know and how few people have been assessed so far for COVID-19.

As of Sunday, the public health lab has tested just 647 patients, according to an FAQ posted online Monday evening. In a phone call Sunday night, as we reported earlier today, county Executive Jeff Smith estimated that the actual number of infected people is somewhere closer to 4,000 or 5,000, although just 321 have tested positive to date.

How many tests private labs have conducted is something of a mystery since they have no obligation to report anything but positive results to county health officials. The county said the dearth of information and lack of widespread testing has hampered its ability to monitor the epidemic, mitigate its spread and inform people about their infection status.
The county public health lab can run a maximum of 100 tests a day, officials say, and only use kits from the CDC. The number of actual patients the lab can test is less than the volume of kits because some are used as controls and require multiple samples per person to ensure an accurate diagnosis.
https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/DiseaseInformation/novel-coronavirus/Pages/home.aspx currently shows that 321, as well.

What a joke! From https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en, Santa Clara County (where I am) is the number 2 hot spot in California and they've only tested 647 people in the county? Our population is over 1.9 million!

On the bright (?) side: there is a definite correlation between the number of people tested and the reported incidence of the virus. IOW, ignorance may be relative bliss...

The above post was deadpan humor.

WetEV said:
Apples meet oranges.

Dead is dead. Does it matter to the people who die prematurely what the cause was?

It does occur to me that one possible positive outcome when this over is that there may be less tolerance for (and maybe even support of, but I doubt it) anti-Vaxxer campaigns.

mwalsh said:
Multiple news sources reporting Anosmia, the loss of sense of smell, and Ageusia, an accompanying diminished sense of taste, have emerged as peculiar telltale signs of Covid-19.

Also, the eyes. Nurse reports that her patients with the most life threatening cases all had red around the eyes, like they were wearing a red eye shadow:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/health/coronavirus-nurses-inside-washington-care-home/index.html

"Look into my eyes, look into the eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around the eyes, look into my eyes... (clicks) you're under..."

latest

So dry cough and red eyes, combined with a high respiratory rate and low oxygen saturation and that looks to be it - you're done for.

BTW, looks like the Great Orange One wants us to get back to normal in about a week or so. That should go well.

So much for social distancing in Salt Lake City... :roll:

Utah health officials issue stern rebuke after hundreds greet LDS missionaries at airport in defiance of coronavirus warnings
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/03/23/utah-health-officials/
https://www.facebook.com/KUTV2News/videos/1176331559425341/ has a video.

People who suffer from the mental illness known as "religion" aren't always making the best decisions.

cwerdna said:
I just learned my county's COVID-19 testing is a freaking disaster.

Santa Clara County Has Tested Just 647 (!!!) Patients for COVID-19
http://www.sanjoseinside.com/2020/03/23/santa-clara-county-has-tested-just-647-patients-for-covid-19/
In response to San Jose Inside’s demands for more comprehensive testing data, the Santa Clara County Public Health Department finally posted information admitting how little they do know and how few people have been assessed so far for COVID-19.

As of Sunday, the public health lab has tested just 647 patients, according to an FAQ posted online Monday evening. In a phone call Sunday night, as we reported earlier today, county Executive Jeff Smith estimated that the actual number of infected people is somewhere closer to 4,000 or 5,000, although just 321 have tested positive to date.

How many tests private labs have conducted is something of a mystery since they have no obligation to report anything but positive results to county health officials. The county said the dearth of information and lack of widespread testing has hampered its ability to monitor the epidemic, mitigate its spread and inform people about their infection status.
The county public health lab can run a maximum of 100 tests a day, officials say, and only use kits from the CDC. The number of actual patients the lab can test is less than the volume of kits because some are used as controls and require multiple samples per person to ensure an accurate diagnosis.
https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/DiseaseInformation/novel-coronavirus/Pages/home.aspx currently shows that 321, as well.

What a joke! From https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en, Santa Clara County (where I am) is the number 2 hot spot in California and they've only tested 647 people in the county? Our population is over 1.9 million!

Would be nice if it actually was a joke. Sadly, it is quite the norm in the country.

Back