Dealer loaners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

I took the Leaf in for the various software updates and annual battery check, and was provided with a Leaf loaner. It occurred to me this is a smart move by the dealers to provide the Leaf as a loaner to people with gas cars as well. Assuming the customer only needs to drive within the range of a single charge, it gives an opportunity to expose more people to the car who wouldn't have considered it otherwise, and saves the customer the inconvenience of having to gas up a car they likely only drove for a short distance.

The car I got has about 400 miles on it, and it does beg the question about how dealers are treating their stock of new Leafs. It will probably sold at some point as a "demo", maybe when it gets to the 1000 mile mark. The car was at or near 100% SOC, leaving me wondering if it had been sitting around at that level for a long time.

It would be nice if there was a physical 80-100% switch that stopped untimed charging at the 80% level. The car could be shipped in the 80% position with a sticker over the switch "to be removed by retail customer only".

Also I was quoted $118 for three wiper blades, which I declined. We'll find another source for those for sure.

A simpler solution would be to simply program it at the factory for an 80% default.

LTLFTcomposite said:
It would be nice if there was a physical 80-100% switch that stopped untimed charging at the 80% level. The car could be shipped in the 80% position with a sticker over the switch "to be removed by retail customer only".

I believe several chevrolet dealers use the Volt for a loaner car. I haven't heard of the Leaf being used in this way. There would be plenty of customers who would not be comfortable with the limited range.

What the Leaf WOULD be great for is when the dealership shuttles people home or back to work when they drop off their cars. And since all of the Nissan Dealers have L2 EVSE's on the lot they can easily keep them charged up.

When I serviced my LEAF in Glendale last week, they offered to give me a LEAF loaner while my car was being updated. The service rep said that they only give LEAF loaners to LEAF owners.

I asked if they shouldn't give them to non-LEAF owners to get them behind the wheel and interested in the car, but he said that ICE drivers would likely get stranded somewhere and need a tow because they weren't familiar with the limitations of the car. That and the somewhat unusual controls. Makes sense that they wouldn't want to have to educate someone just to drive a loaner.

You'd think the question "do you have to go more than 50 miles?" wouldn't be too hard for people to handle, but who knows, maybe when you're dealing with the masses you quickly conclude differently.

The "gearshift" is really the only thing different about the controls compared to other cars with push button start. Parking brake is different, but most people probably don't even bother with that.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Also I was quoted $118 for three wiper blades, which I declined. We'll find another source for those for sure.
Oh Boy! Another addition to my list of horror stories of how dealers are trying squeeze maintenance dollars out of a relatively maintenance free car.

Bill

ebill3 said:
Oh Boy! Another addition to my list of horror stories of how dealers are trying squeeze maintenance dollars out of a relatively maintenance free car.
Bill
No doubt. She said just the back one was $50. I'll inquire at the parts counter when I pick up the car. I expect to pay more for wiper blades at the dealer than walmart, but this is ridicurous.

Funny story though, as I was standing there while the service writer was checking me in I overheard another service writer giving an ICE customer the bad news about a litany of things that their car needed easily totaling over $3k, including a catalytic converter for $1400. It must have been an older car, but I couldn't help but note about 90% of the stuff he was rattling off is a total N/A on a Leaf. If rumors pan out and they get the Leaf battery down to $5k in a few years these cars could be cheap to keep.

I don't think they have figured it out yet, but service departments and hence the dealerships that rely on them for profits will not like these cars in the long run. Maybe I'll have them pour in a pint of lithium conditioner just to be a nice guy.

adric22 said:
And since all of the Nissan Dealers have L2 EVSE's on the lot they can easily keep them charged up.

When I purchased my Leaf in Hagerstown, MD they did not have an L2 charger and told me they did not have plans to buy one at that time. According to my iphone app they still didn't have one a month ago. I have my 1 year soon so will check then.

MrIanB said:
How about giving the customer the option for a Leaf loaner or a gas loaner.

Ian B
Come to think of it, offering Leaf loaners to gas owners is one thing, but offering (free) gas loaners to Leaf owners could be problematic... say I need to take an out of town trip tomorrow, so I drop the Leaf off and give them some made-up story about an intermittent problem... not that there are any dishonest Leaf owners out there who would think of such a thing.

The other issues is an ICE owner probably doesn't have a good way to charge the car. its one thing if you are just going to send them out in a Leaf for a few hours, but if it is a several-day ordeal which is common on a lengthy ICE repair... that would be a problem.

TimeBandits said:
adric22 said:
And since all of the Nissan Dealers have L2 EVSE's on the lot they can easily keep them charged up.

When I purchased my Leaf in Hagerstown, MD they did not have an L2 charger and told me they did not have plans to buy one at that time. According to my iphone app they still didn't have one a month ago. I have my 1 year soon so will check then.
Hamilton Nissan ? The are shown as LEAF Certified. I thought that required L2 stations ... at minimum one for the service area. Odd ....

TimeBandits said:
adric22 said:

Really? I thought that was a requirement for receiving an allocation of LEAF inventory. Or at least it was back in the beginning.

I dropped off my Ford Focus Electric for some body work, and they gave me a gas guzzling GMC SUV as a rental. It took over a week before I got my car back and I was irritated.

I would have rather received an electric car, or even a small compact car than the car I got.

Some of the LEAF-certified dealers don't show up in the applications, however, they do have EVSEs. There's one in the Lee's Summit/Kansas City area that didn't show up when I was going to travel to the area, but it is a known LEAF dealer per Tom/ksnogas2112, with L2 charging. Perhaps they have to add themselves? Tom asked that they do so, but I don't think they have. I haven't checked...

thait84 said:
I dropped off my Ford Focus Electric for some body work, and they gave me a gas guzzling GMC SUV as a rental. It took over a week before I got my car back and I was irritated.

I would have rather received an electric car, or even a small compact car than the car I got.
I've had a couple instance where Hertz "upgraded" me for free. Once they gave me a super-sized yukon instead of the minivan I reserved, which in their eyes was like they gave me a $700 upgrade, but in reality was stuck driving a vehicle with the refinement of a UPS truck, and the extra gas cost would have covered a decent dinner for 2. When it happened a second time, reserving a corolla and coming out and finding a tahoe for the same price I went back to the counter and said no thanks.

Both times they probably thought they were doing me a favor, and I suppose most people would have been thrilled, but not me.

Back