diesel ranks almost as clean as hybrids

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personnally suspect that the "green pricing" option is just a shell game.

Unless there were very specific and strong controls put in place, if the amount of people who sign up to pay extra for clean energy sourcing provides less funds than currently goes to green sources, then there won't be any change in sourcing. They would just claim that those people's funds went to green energy while everyone else's funds paid for the dirty stuff.

The only way to ensure that you are driving on green energy is to have your own solar panels or wind generation, etc.

In Ventura County, I just read an article that the City of Moorpark is objecting to a new natural gas power plant that will be built in Moorpark. But their objection carries no authority as it is solely up to the utility and the state regulator. I'd much prefer to see the installation of enough rooftop solar in the area so another gas plant isn't required. One would think that if those "green pricing" options were legit, they would in fact be doing that.

No emissions are good. Each has pros and cons which impact which uses they are better suited for. The same can be said for EVs. While EV range can currently meet perhaps 90% of the population's commute needs, it will be a while before large portions view it as viable since they occassionally have to travel further and many don't have the luxury to have multiple vehicles. But, at the same time, I know a good portion that have that luxury and these people need to be converted to at least one of their vehicles being EVs.

cwerdna said:
spike09 said:
Do you have the option for green pricing, allowing you to pay a small premium in exchange for electricity generated from clean, renewable energy sources?
Don't think so.

I found http://www.pge.com/about/newsroom/newsreleases/20120424/pge_announces_new_green_energy_program_to_give_electric_customers_more_renewable_options.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; then http://www.pge.com/greenoption/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Interestingly, the mix at http://www.pge.com/en/about/environment/pge/cleanenergy/index.page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; differs significantly from the EPA page I cited which gets data from the below.
Power Profiler currently uses year 2009 data from EPA’s Emissions & Generation Resource Integrated Database (eGRID).
PG&E should not be satisfied with their 50% renewable portfolio. They are losing money by ignoring the consumer demand for 100% renewable.

Mazda is now claiming their SkyActive-D engine (lowest compression ratio at just 14:1) (and redline at 5300rpm) will be as clean as their regular gasoline engines. They say it is so clean, it doesn't need a NOx catalyst or PM trap, instead using the same catalytic converter as their gas cars.

Its efficiency is at 51% (versus 43% for Volkswagen's TDI).

Back