Disable auto fold mirrors in winter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cober

I spent a harsh times in battle with my side mirrors which are covered with ice and squeals and creaks trying to fold or unfold.
And finally I won and now I share my victory with you fellas!
No wire disconnect, just combination on a key-fob, guys!

https://youtu.be/sLE0uxSPpwE

It's great to hear you found a solution to disable the auto-fold mirrors during winter, avoiding the struggle with ice-covered mirrors! Sharing your victory with a simple key-fob combination is incredibly helpful.

Sorry to be THAT guy, but I'm sure I spotted the light coloured interior and electric park brake that makes this a ZE0 model - and, from the door lights, RHD and the remote that works inside the car, I'd hazard this is a Japanese model....
None of the EU Market cars I look after / change batteries on will allow the remote to lock the car from inside - the mirror auto-fold settings I have to change for my Customers using my Workshop Diagnostic Equipment 🤔

Sorry to be THAT guy, but I'm sure I spotted the light coloured interior and electric park brake that makes this a ZE0 model - and, from the door lights, RHD and the remote that works inside the car, I'd hazard this is a Japanese model....
None of the EU Market cars I look after / change batteries on will allow the remote to lock the car from inside - the mirror auto-fold settings I have to change for my Customers using my Workshop Diagnostic Equipment 🤔
The real give-away for me was when he said "Mine from Japan" in that post above ;-)

The real give-away for me was when he said "Mine from Japan" in that post above ;-)
I can see that for those with the time to sift through every entry on every post, that'd be a good interpretation of that comment - I'm very happy not having that time, using it instead to provide as much help to as many people as I can 😌

It's great to hear you found a solution to disable the auto-fold mirrors during winter, avoiding the struggle with ice-covered mirrors! Sharing your victory with a simple key-fob combination is incredibly helpful.

FWIW, I have tried this on a (MY '17) JDM ZE0 and a (MY '18) JDM ZE1, both of which have motorised wing mirrors. Unfortunately it does not work on either of those vehicles. However I note that neither of them has the optional security system installed, and the video does state that you need the security system for it to work.

If anyone else is able to make this work on a JDM vehicle I would be very interested to hear.

Surely they could be obtained from a wrecked JDM car and cross-fitted?
I hate to ask a really dumb question. What is a JDM car? Where would I find a wrecking yard that might have one? I also would need installation instructions. It may be a ‘bridge too far’ but I would like to at least check out the possibilities.

Thanks,

Phil

Japanese Domestic Market It means built for Japan, then exported when it got older. It would mean right hand drive and may or may not be legal to import depending on where you are in the world.
Japan has a "reverse" tax structure when it comes to cars (and other stuff), the tax goes up and the item ages. In this way they have built into their system, an incentive to sell (export only) stuff when it is a few years old. Cars get sold in huge lots to places like Australia and New Zealand, where a JDM car cost much less than a new one made for export.
In this way Japan exports their "trash" as the cars are rarely kept long enough to no longer be useful. Same is done with tires (no recapping allowed) and other "durable goods".
In the US JDM cars have become a "status symbol" after they were made popular in the "fast and furious" movie franchise.
JDM cars are more likely to be found in RHD countries, and places that don't have enough money for dealerships of new cars to be profitable. A ready supply of cars a few years old make them desirable around the world.

Japanese Domestic Market It means built for Japan, then exported when it got older. It would mean right hand drive and may or may not be legal to import depending on where you are in the world.
Japan has a "reverse" tax structure when it comes to cars (and other stuff), the tax goes up and the item ages. In this way they have built into their system, an incentive to sell (export only) stuff when it is a few years old. Cars get sold in huge lots to places like Australia and New Zealand, where a JDM car cost much less than a new one made for export.
In this way Japan exports their "trash" as the cars are rarely kept long enough to no longer be useful. Same is done with tires (no recapping allowed) and other "durable goods".
In the US JDM cars have become a "status symbol" after they were made popular in the "fast and furious" movie franchise.
JDM cars are more likely to be found in RHD countries, and places that don't have enough money for dealerships of new cars to be profitable. A ready supply of cars a few years old make them desirable around the world.
Thanks for the excellent explanation. I had heard about this vaguely but never really knew the details.

I used to own a Toyota Prius Plug in and there was an accessory for it that was only sold in Japan. I was able to purchase it online and installed it (it was a lock for the charging cable) and it worked just find.

I have a hunch that trying to find retractable mirrors (or the parts for it) would be a bridge way too far!

Thanks again!

Phil

Back