Displaying My Leaf Suggestions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geraldk

I will be displaying my Leaf at a Solar together in Long Beach in a week or so. It is the third annual Solar Grand Prix. Kids of Jr. High to High School compete with one solar panel, motor and race along a sixty foot plywood track. It is a lot of fun and teaches the kids about renewable energy.

The counsel person in charge asked me to bring along my Leaf and I am happy to do so. My questions are:

1. what would your display look like?
I was thinking of just having a few 8x10 and 11x17 papers on the windshield and dash that say things like:

100% Electric
No Gas, or Stopping at Gas Stations-Ever!
No Oil Changes-Ever!
Charge At Home
60 Mile range- up to 100* Ask me why.

2. What is on your display?

3. What questions will I get?

4. How do I answer said questions?

5. How do I handle the "traffic" in my car? In other words people will be looking at my car, do I let them sit in it?

6. If I let people in my car, should I have towels down? I keep my car very, very clean. Very! I have been to classic car shows and very few of the "shower" let people sit in the cars. I do notice the "showers" that let people touch, the people tend to be gentle. Whatcha' think?

7. If people, then what mode should the car be in? One click? Two, with out touching brake?

8, If I have it in one touch mode and keep the fob in my pocket, I should be safe?

9. Something I am missing?

Thanks everyone!!
g

I have displayed my Leaf several times. Just put a few pieces of paper on the back or side windows answering the frequently asked questions.

How long to charge.. I usually list 3 different times for each of the charging types. Then I mention that this is only if the car is completely empty and that usually charge times will be less than this.

How far will it go? I usually put the EPA rating and maybe mention it can go further under ideal conditions.

How fast can it go? List top speed of 95 (I assume this hasn't changed for 2013?) and mention that it accelerates very quickly off of the line.

Might also mention how much it costs to charge in your area.

I also usually open the charge door and hook up the L1 EVSE and leave it on the ground.. That gets people's attention.

adric22 said:
I have displayed my Leaf several times. Just put a few pieces of paper on the back or side windows answering the frequently asked questions.

How long to charge.. I usually list 3 different times for each of the charging types. Then I mention that this is only if the car is completely empty and that usually charge times will be less than this.

How far will it go? I usually put the EPA rating and maybe mention it can go further under ideal conditions.

How fast can it go? List top speed of 95 (I assume this hasn't changed for 2013?) and mention that it accelerates very quickly off of the line.

Might also mention how much it costs to charge in your area.

I also usually open the charge door and hook up the L1 EVSE and leave it on the ground.. That gets people's attention.

Good ideas! Thanks!
Here is a start:
How does this look?

How long to charge?
Depends how how much battery you have used but:
0%-100% with a standard plug about 20 hours.
0%-100% with a 240 volt plug about 6 hours.
0%-80% with "Quick Charger" about 30 minutes.
I don't think I have ever had to wait that long.
Most of your charging is done when sleeping!

How far will it go?
EPA says 76 Miles
I say 60-100 miles. Ask me why.

How fast will it go?
95 MPH! and is very quick off the line!!

How much does it cost to "Fill Up"?
In Long Beach from 0% about: $4.00
.05 cents a mile compared to:
My Truck .22 cents per mile.
My Jeep: .22 cents per mile.
My Prius .09 cents per mile.

I would also display fast charging speeds.. Even if your vehicle is not equipped.. Most people won't know the difference and it sounds a lot better to somebody considering an EV. I always do, and never once has anyone noticed that mine doesn't have the Chademo port on it when discussing it. And since you aren't trying to sell this specific vehicle, it isn't really lying because they can certainly buy a Leaf that has that option if they go to the dealership to get one.

davewill said:
Geraldk said:
0%-100% with a standard plug about 12 hours.
0%-100% with a 220 volt plug about 6 hours.
A full charge at 120v is more like 20 hours, not 12...and that's a 240v plug not 220v.
got it! :)

adric22 said:
I would also display fast charging speeds.. Even if your vehicle is not equipped.. Most people won't know the difference and it sounds a lot better to somebody considering an EV. I always do, and never once has anyone noticed that mine doesn't have the Chademo port on it when discussing it. And since you aren't trying to sell this specific vehicle, it isn't really lying because they can certainly buy a Leaf that has that option if they go to the dealership to get one.
So I am going to add:
0%-80% with "Quick Charger" about 30 minutes.

Back