Do It Yourself: 240v from two 120v sources

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davewill said:
mwalsh said:
So buy 10! ;) I'll buy two from you. That means you only have 6 to get rid of. Or I could do same, if you wish.
I feel confident that Gary has already placed his order. ;)

OK, how about $6 each? Doesn't look like there is a minimum from here on the part, but you do need to order $15 worth of stuff or pay the difference as a surcharge:

http://www.onlinecomponents.com/magnecraft-se-relays_9as1a52-120.html?p=11723811

With this $6 relay:
a. 3k coil = 40 ma x 2 vampire draw (120 x 0.040 = 4.8 watts) x 2, for almost 10 watts vampire load and internal heating.

b. AC dropout voltage is only 1.2 volts? That seems ... rather low.

If there was sufficient interest, we could put together a "120-to-240 Adapter Kit", possibly with a No-drill, No-Crimp option, and possibly an "almost-assembled" version of the Kit.

But, first ... raise hands for interest testing.

If there is enough interest (over 10 kits/units), I (or somebody actually interested in providing the Kit) will start a new thread for this specific Kit.

We should start by putting a Parts List, with links to specific sources, in the first post.

Hands?

This might be overkill but if you had extra relays could you protect against hot-neutral reversed wiring on the receptacles? If the relay is double throw it could open the neutral wired across the normally closed terminals if it detects current between (what should be) the neutral and ground.

garygid said:
If Hot-Neutral is reversed on one input, you typically just get 120v out, not 240v.

If the phases of the two inputs is the same, you get HOT zero-voltage out.

I see what you mean, since this setup does not require a neutral out. Long ago I had an adapter like this for a 50amp RV connector and would always test the receptacles before plugging it in but not an issue here.

Yeah! Put me down for one! :)

garygid said:
If there was sufficient interest, we could put together a "120-to-240 Adapter Kit", possibly with a No-drill, No-Crimp option, and possibly an "almost-assembled" version of the Kit.

But, first ... raise hands for interest testing.

If there is enough interest (over 10 kits/units), I (or somebody actually interested in providing the Kit) will start a new thread for this specific Kit.

We should start by putting a Parts List, with links to specific sources, in the first post.

Hands?

OK, we appear to have enough interest in a Kit, so we need to price and source a specific Parts List for this particular Kit.

I just started a "120-to-240 Adapter Kit (Rev 1)" thread for further details on this specific Kit-Project.

I'm interested in a kit with the buzzer. It just makes sense to me to have the device give me an audible signal that everything is a go. :)

garygid said:
OK, we appear to have enough interest in a Kit, so we need to price and source a specific Parts List for this particular Kit.

I just started a "120-to-240 Adapter Kit (Rev 1)" thread for further details on this specific Kit-Project.

Does anyone know where to buy a nice box like this? I don't think I saw anything like that @ Home Depot.

pic

Back