Do you turn your EVSE off?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etracing

I do not charge every day and sometimes it may be a week before I need to.

How many of you turn yours EVSE units off?

I have a Schneider EVlink and do have a 30 AMP 240 volt switch I can do this with.

Thanks!

There is a thread and or posts on this. Bottom line is it makes no sense to do so, the load is insignificant. If you are going to do that you may as well put a switch on every item in your home and turn it off every evening and spend all your money on switch replacement. I'm sure there are people that do this but they probably also unplug their phone charger every eve as well. You will also likely shorten the life of your EVSE.

EVDRIVER said:
There is a thread and or posts on this. Bottom line is it makes no sense to do so, the load is insignificant. If you are going to do that you may as well put a switch on every item in your home and turn it off every evening and spend all your money on switch replacement. I'm sure there are people that do this but they probably also unplug their phone charger every eve as well. You will also likely shorten the life of your EVSE.

Thanks for the info.
I did do a search and did not come up with anything usable.

We have severe thunderstorms here fairly regular so I will still keep the switch since I cannot put it on a UPS.

My GE Wattstation has the push button power switch right next to the cable. Since it turns off the illumination around the socket -- and I see no reason to run it for 14 hours when I am not there, I turn it off. In practice, I turn it off prior to disconnecting from the car, and on after plugging up to the car.

Regarding the earlier post here mentioning shortening the life of the EVSE, I believe you could argue that either way. Leaving the boards and the LEDs powered all the time might be shorten the life too. And, GE specifically mentions the switch is there to eliminate "phantom" load.

Ken Clifton

I have the Schneider EVLink too and my TED 5000 shows it drawing 1 watt while idle. Probably not much to worry about for energy reasons.

etracing said:

I have a Schneider EVlink and do have a 30 AMP 240 volt switch I can do this with.

Thanks!

I turn my Blink EVSE off whenever it's not in use. I have been able to charge at work and that covers 90% of my needs.

I was also turning off my Blink before charging at work because the unit would fail to charge unless I reset it anyways. The draw may be small at idle, but it takes all of 3 minutes to boot up, and since I was having to do it almost before every charge, it made since to leave it off. Mine is installed right next to the breaker panel, so I turn it off via the breaker.

pclifton said:
My GE Wattstation has the push button power switch right next to the cable. Since it turns off the illumination around the socket -- and I see no reason to run it for 14 hours when I am not there, I turn it off. In practice, I turn it off prior to disconnecting from the car, and on after plugging up to the car. ...
You'd do better to unplug the J1772 first. The trigger on the plug causes the car to stop drawing current before you unplug. The system was carefully designed to work this way. Turning off your EVSE instead might cause the EVSE to switch off the power while the current is still flowing which is very hard on the contactors.

Well, the newly installed EVSE switch may have paid for itself many times over just tonight.

We had a once in a "blue moon" loss of the neutral line today that took out the stove, coffee maker, two outside security lights,
one UPS and the garage door opener.

All the items that were on UPS units, on the solar system (off grid) or physically disconnected, including the new EVSE which
I had turned off earlier today were OK. That is not to say it could have survived, but everything that had a digital panel and was
connected is now toast.

Never underestimate the power (or lack therein) of a switch....

More later!

etracing said:
Well, the newly installed EVSE switch may have paid for itself many times over just tonight.

We had a once in a "blue moon" loss of the neutral line today that took out the stove, coffee maker, two outside security lights,

All the items that were on UPS units, on the solar system (off grid) or physically disconnected, including the new EVSE which
I had turned off earlier today were OK. That is not to say it could have survived, but everything that had a digital panel and was
connected is now toast.

More later!
Open neutrals can cause a lot of damage. However, it's unlikely that your EVSE would be damaged because, AFAIK, most of them do not connect to the neutral as they are pure 240V devices. I know for a fact that my Blink is a 3-wire (hot1, hot2 and ground) installation.

The stove, assuming it is electric and 240V, probably still uses 120V for the control system and uses the neutral (or, if it is an old installation, shares neutral and ground on one wire).

We felt like the installed units were overpriced when we bought our Leaf, so for now we are exclusively using our EVSE Upgrade unit and we not only turn it off but also stow it in the car when it is not in use. It is not as convenient as having a permanently installed EVSE, so we are interested in installing one at some point, perhaps a DIY version.

DoxyLover said:
etracing said:

connected is now toast.

More later!
Open neutrals can cause a lot of damage. However, it's unlikely that your EVSE would be damaged because, AFAIK, most of them do not connect to the neutral as they are pure 240V devices. I know for a fact that my Blink is a 3-wire (hot1, hot2 and ground) installation.

The stove, assuming it is electric and 240V, probably still uses 120V for the control system and uses the neutral (or, if it is an old installation, shares neutral and ground on one wire).

Yes, a modified Nissan EVSE would be much better off then a non-modified model.

etracing said:

Thanks!
I don't even know if my Schneider has an on/off switch or not!

hey anybody,

nice forum!

I'm wondering, what happens if you plug in the Leaf using the "official" Nissan AV charger?
Does it start charging immediately or do you first have to press the start button?

How is the starting behavior of the Schneider one?

Public Coulomb Chargers start charging immediately after plugging in.

Thanks!
Best regards
Steve

My EVSE stays on 24/7 and anyway I'm in the Duke Energy Pilot program so they are gathering data on my charging habits. No reason to turn it off.

eloxxd said:
hey anybody,

nice forum!

I'm wondering, what happens if you plug in the Leaf using the "official" Nissan AV charger?
Does it start charging immediately or do you first have to press the start button?

How is the starting behavior of the Schneider one?

Public Coulomb Chargers start charging immediately after plugging in.

Thanks!
Best regards
Steve

nobody can answer me that question?
Would be quite interesting, because then I chance to an AV/Schneider one.
Thanks!

eloxxd said:
nobody can answer me that question?
Might be because it's a little off-topic, but quickly: The car itself is what controls the charging, not the EVSE. Normally it's based on a timer in the vehicle, but there's a button to override and setting the timers a certain way should cause it to charge immediately when plugged it.
=Smidge=

Back