Does Allstate DriveWise work on the LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

My agent says he was told DriveWise doesn't work on the LEAF. According to this it does:

http://fitguide.installernet.com/allstate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone else out there have DriveWise? Any other comments on it? Seems like big brother, on the other hand I'm tired of paying sky high premiums even with an unblemished record, so I'll try just about anything to get the price down.

That site is just to tell you if your car has an OBDII port, which almost every car does these days (OBD stands for on-board diagnostics and it is the same plug your mechanic uses to find out whats going on when your check engine light goes on).

There is more to Drivewise than just being able to plug in the device. Cars that work differently will need different systems on the back end to be able to interpret the information. As telematics gets more popular, more types vehicles will be added for sure!

Sources for more info:
http://www.allstate.com/drive-wise/main.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.allstateebrochure.com/drivewise/drivewise.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I checked with State Farm and their version of this does not work on the Leaf, unless the person I spoke to was wrong.

The person you talked to is indeed wrong about State Farm, I have theirs installed in my LEAF. Had it in our 2001 Camry that we got rid of when we got the LEAF, had to wait a few weeks for my agent to get the proper forms submitted to move it to the LEAF, but it's working, pulling in data, though it does not display the MPG like it does for our ICE 2007 Magnum.

The estimated yearly mileage is really low, as we've only had it in the LEAF a few weeks, but it's sending data (and shows that I like to mash on the go-fast pedal at lights)

StateFarm.PNG

So I'm curious about a few things:

What is State Farm looking for when grading left and right turns? Surely they don't expect their policyholders to drive in a continuous straight line.

How is the data transferred? Cellular/mobile data? AT&T?

They have some way to detect the unit has been unplugged? (otherwise you would just unplug it for the times you want to cut loose a little)

Are all the insurance companies using the same technology provider? I see Hughes mentioned on that screen shot.

Looks like we are all in the process of adopting a new big brother into the family. Today it's discounts, in the future it will probably just be required to have insurance.

I believe it has an accelerometer in the device, and it's measuring how hard you corner or brake. It also has a built in cellular radio that it uses to upload the data back to them.

As for unplugging it during "spirited driving", I think that would work fine, unless they're trying to monitor the odometer to see if you're "cheating".

Elephanthead said:
Can you get a negative discount? Leave it in at a track day event.

My _agent_ told me no, you can't. and i've had them since I started driving 20 years ago.. The books/crap letter that comes with the In-Drive indicate yes.. Course, the books also reference a non existant Android app as well.

My understanding with the State Farm device is that the only way it can hurt you is if you were lying about your mileage (saying you drive less than 7000/year, when really you drive 15,000).

Psyclonus said:
My understanding with the State Farm device is that the only way it can hurt you is if you were lying about your mileage (saying you drive less than 7000/year, when really you drive 15,000).

i drive less than 7500. so I'm safe there.

I thought they would have had this supported by now, so I inquired again:
Does Drivewise have support yet for the Nissan LEAF or Chevy Volt?
and got this response:
Thank you for contacting Allstate Drivewise Support where you are always in Good Hands. Due to fundamental differences in the way that the engines work, the Drivewise device is not compatible with Hybrid or Electric vehicles.

Back