does the navigation system automatically update maps?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ianlin said:
the owners manual says carwings automatically updates public charger locations. but what about maps? is that updated too?
No, I'm afraid not.

Last I heard, the most recent maps are ancient. Any later news?

The only way to update it is by buying a new SD card for $179. Alas, even the current card is hopelessly out of date...

ianlin said:
the owners manual says carwings automatically updates public charger locations. but what about maps? is that updated too?

I am considering purchasing the mapping update for our 2012 LEAF if it also includes some of the nice mapping features that the 2013 has (Google Point of Interest and ECO routing for the map guidance). Does anybody know if the SD card update also includes these features?

The SD card is just data, not programming software. It will not change the way the system works or add new features...

BIGneutrino said:
I am considering purchasing the mapping update for our 2012 LEAF if it also includes some of the nice mapping features that the 2013 has (Google Point of Interest and ECO routing for the map guidance). Does anybody know if the SD card update also includes these features?

Google what you want on cell phone, send to car. This is your only option. All cars should just have a nexus 7 in the dash. $200 to much to spend Nissan? :lol: Cheaper then the sd card update.

I had a seven year old Acura with a NAV that blew away this one, it had more than three working (relevant) voice commands then I could count and it actually worked.

Nissan NAV- "Please say a one of three commands I have in my system" User: "Previous destination" NAV" : "Please say a command" User: Crap!

User: "Find nearest charging station" NAV: "I'm sorry I don't know that one I only know three voice commands, use the useless single-function button on the steering wheel, you can see nothing useful quickly"

NAV: "You have reached your destination, not really but you are a few blocks away" :lol: :lol: :lol:

CLARION= Pep Boys legacy brand.

Nissan, next time you make an EV try to consider the NAV could be very important for say, finding a charging station! In addition when entering a destination I think defaulting to the local city makes sense to start since I wont be going to another state on 21 kwh. Some useful info would also be nice.

My concern hasn't been the maps so much as the location of the charging stations on the maps. My understanding is that they get updated all the time and the car downloads the updates frequently. But on a recent trip to Eugene, Ore, I noticed that there was a DCQC listed on the recargo site out in a small town called Veneta right next to where I was headed. But I couldn't get my nav system to find it or show it. It turned out to be an Aerovironment system with a single CHAdeMO and single L2 unit next to each other. But even after I plugged into it and used it, it would not show up on my nav system.

The road it was next to was listed on the map so it's not like there was no place to put it. Is there any way for us to tell Nissan where the charging stations are so they show up? Recargo works just fine this way. The information there seems very reliable. Plugshare too.

Back