Don't buy H&R Block Tax Software - No Tax Credit available!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPWhite

H&R Block Taxcut software does not support IRS form 8936 to claim your $7,500 tax credit. Don't buy it. I had a chat with their customer support. They confirmed the software does not support this IRS tax form. Needless to say I got my money back from them.

http://wp.me/p1sK3k-8r

Intuit claims that Turbo Tax supports form 8936 so I'm off to office depot.

If you are a member of Watermark/Sound credit union, the FREE version of TurboTax
online available from their website supports the tax credit for the car and the EVSE. ;)

JPWhite said:
H&R Block Taxcut software does not support IRS form 8936 to claim your $7,500 tax credit.
H&R has a Maximum Refund Guarantee. Sounds like this is an easy way to get free SW unless they fix it.

patrick0101 said:
JPWhite said:
H&R Block Taxcut software does not support IRS form 8936 to claim your $7,500 tax credit.
H&R has a Maximum Refund Guarantee. Sounds like this is an easy way to get free SW unless they fix it.

Maybe. They might try and wiggle out of that guarantee. Here's the advice I got for claiming the credit using the software as is.

Code:
Danielle K.: Unfortunately, Jean-Pierre, at this point Form 8936 is not supported. I do apologize for any inconveniences that this may cause. 
Danielle K.: You could use our software to do you return and print that form from the IRS website and print and mail your return.

I took a refund instead, I wasn't impressed with the advice to manually fill the form out. That would invalidate their arithmetic guarantee if I did the math manually.

Bumping this thread. Last entry was a year ago.

How about tax software for filing 2013 taxes? I've heard this year H&R Block doesn't support Form 8936 either, but haven't been able to confirm. TurboTax supposedly does.

I'm leasing, so I'm interested in state tax credit for leasing (GA), and federal tax credit for installed EVSE equipment (Form 8911).

IRS released the new 8911 tax form for 2013 just last week.

Has anybody out there tried either SW package yet? I'm planning on getting TurboTax this weekend. I'll report back Monday.

asemeco said:

How about tax software for filing 2013 taxes? I've heard this year H&R Block doesn't support Form 8936 either, but haven't been able to confirm. TurboTax supposedly does.

I'm leasing, so I'm interested in state tax credit for leasing (GA), and federal tax credit for installed EVSE equipment (Form 8911).

Has anybody out there tried either SW package yet? I'm planning on getting TurboTax this weekend. I'll report back Monday.

I used TurboTax for my 2011 tax year and got the full credit. It handled it back then without issues, the electronic filing was reject by the IRS 2-3 times due to some defect in how it was presented, so I printed it out and mailed in to get my refund.

JPWhite said:
asemeco said:

I used TurboTax for my 2011 tax year and got the full credit. It handled it back then without issues, the electronic filing was reject by the IRS 2-3 times due to some defect in how it was presented, so I printed it out and mailed in to get my refund.

I used TurboTax for my 2012 return and got the full credit as well. TurboTax actually handled it better than the IRS. No problem with e-filing it, but the IRS denied almost all of the credit. When I called to as for my details as to why the credit was rejected and how they came up with the odd amount they denied, the two different IRS reps I spoke to couldn't figure out why. They both said my return looked correct. There were no notes on the denial by the person who reviewed my return. The second rep suggested I write a letter asking for a detailed explanation. I wrote the letter, and eventually received a response that said I was indeed entitled to the full amount of the credit, which I was refunded along with interest. No explanation as to why. I guess a refund and no explanation is better than the other way around.

mikeEmike said:
JPWhite said:
asemeco said:

I used TurboTax for my 2012 return and got the full credit as well. TurboTax actually handled it better than the IRS. No problem with e-filing it, but the IRS denied almost all of the credit. When I called to as for my details as to why the credit was rejected and how they came up with the odd amount they denied, the two different IRS reps I spoke to couldn't figure out why. They both said my return looked correct. There were no notes on the denial by the person who reviewed my return. The second rep suggested I write a letter asking for a detailed explanation. I wrote the letter, and eventually received a response that said I was indeed entitled to the full amount of the credit, which I was refunded along with interest. No explanation as to why. I guess a refund and no explanation is better than the other way around.

Sorry to hear you had that hassle. Probably a petrol-head agent who wanted to stick it to the EV crowd. When I filed in 2011 I paid the extra with TurboTax to provide legal representation should there be an issue. It wasn't all that much, $40 or $50 if I remember rightly.

JPWhite said:
Sorry to hear you had that hassle. Probably a petrol-head agent who wanted to stick it to the EV crowd. When I filed in 2011 I paid the extra with TurboTax to provide legal representation should there be an issue. It wasn't all that much, $40 or $50 if I remember rightly.
I wasn't too surprised by the whole incident. I had read this thread prior to buying my LEAF so I was prepared for this. I'm sorry for those who accept the denial when they are entitled to the credit.

I didn't mind representing myself in this case. I knew where I stood, and had nothing to hide. It was a good learning experience, but not something I hope to have to do again if I buy another EV and apply for another credit. Still, I would be reluctant to contribute anything extra to Intuit for support, having read about all the horror stories of Quickbooks support.

I used turbotax and was able to get the EV credit both for 2011 and 2012 (leaf and then volt purchase). In both years, H&R block did not offer the EV credit, you had to do a manual return and file if you wanted it. Unless they changed their tune, turbo tax would be the way to go

FWIW, I just loaded H&R Block Basic for 2013 TY and it doesn't list Form 8936. Nor does it have Form 8911 "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit". Doesn't matter to me but those who actually purchased a LEAF might want to use TurboTax.

I have used for at least one tax year all three:
taxact
taxcut
turbotax

I only use Turbotax now.

I'm basically soured to taxcut until the end of time after one year the online version refused to allow me to consider my 529 in state deductions. I emailed them and they told me to get the disc version. Really? No. I know nothing about taxes. if I didn't even know to ask the question I never would have gotten the rebate.

Taxact is just a poor interface really compared to turbotax, although I am sure the software is accurate. It's got all the necessary details but doesn't handhold like turbotax does.

Turbotax is capable if one needs it to be but is also dropdead easy for a tax fool like me to figure out. This year there is even 10% bonus for any credit used on amazon, so I'll cover its purchase by getting myself a $500 or so amazon GC.

I think at least one year I did my taxes on 2-3 of them and only filed on taxact, since you file when you do the taxes, but nowadays I feel turbotax deserves my business for making such nice software, so I just feed it all in and I'm done with it.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
I have used for at least one tax year all three:
taxact
taxcut
turbotax

I only use Turbotax now.

I'm basically soured to taxcut until the end of time after one year the online version refused to allow me to consider my 529 in state deductions. I emailed them and they told me to get the disc version. Really? No. I know nothing about taxes. if I didn't even know to ask the question I never would have gotten the rebate.

Taxact is just a poor interface really compared to turbotax, although I am sure the software is accurate. It's got all the necessary details but doesn't handhold like turbotax does.

Turbotax is capable if one needs it to be but is also dropdead easy for a tax fool like me to figure out. This year there is even 10% bonus for any credit used on amazon, so I'll cover its purchase by getting myself a $500 or so amazon GC.

I think at least one year I did my taxes on 2-3 of them and only filed on taxact, since you file when you do the taxes, but nowadays I feel turbotax deserves my business for making such nice software, so I just feed it all in and I'm done with it.

I believe taxcut became H&R Block due to a acquisition/merger several years ago.

dgpcolorado said:
FWIW, I just loaded H&R Block Basic for 2013 TY and it doesn't list Form 8936. Nor does it have Form 8911 "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit". Doesn't matter to me but those who actually purchased a LEAF might want to use TurboTax.

I just e-filed my 2013 taxes using TurboTax and I can confirm that it recognizes the 30% EVSE credit. There's also an entry for the $7500 Federal tax credit for those who purchased, but since I leased I obviously did not use that.

For those who both bought their EV and had a charging station installed in 2013, TT will also do the AMT calculation for you.

I found the same problem with Free1040TaxReturn.com plus they had no way of getting the refund in I Bonds which is pretty basic I thought. So I got the forms, filled them out and sent them in. The worse part was working through the worksheet to find out how much of my Social Security is taxable! That was elder abuse!!!!!!!!!!

JPWhite said:

JPWhite - Do you remember the details of what you had to fix when you mailed it out? I filed my 2013 return on Jan 31, 2014. It wasn't approved until today (Feb 24, 2014), however they did not approve the $7,500 portion. I called the 1-800 number with a reference number provided on the "where's my refund" IRS page and the phone rep basically told me what the same information that was available online, that it was rejected due to a Math error, but he didn't have the details available and I had to wait for the notice that was mailed today. I'm really hoping that notice has additional detail.

I used taxact to file online. I've double checked the math, values entered and I can't figure out what could possibly be wrong. They did approve the rest of the refund amount so I'm guessing it is something specific to the 8936 form.

yortch said:
JPWhite said:

JPWhite - Do you remember the details of what you had to fix when you mailed it out? I filed my 2013 return on Jan 31, 2014. It wasn't approved until today (Feb 24, 2014), however they did not approve the $7,500 portion. I called the 1-800 number with a reference number provided on the "where's my refund" IRS page and the phone rep basically told me what the same information that was available online, that it was rejected due to a Math error, but he didn't have the details available and I had to wait for the notice that was mailed today. I'm really hoping that notice has additional detail.

I used taxact to file online. I've double checked the math, values entered and I can't figure out what could possibly be wrong. They did approve the rest of the refund amount so I'm guessing it is something specific to the 8936 form.

I simply printed and mailed the forms. TurboTax math must have been good enough I suppose. I'd be inclined to reach out to taxact to see what guarantees and/or assistance they can provide to help overcome the denial. I paid TurboTax an additional fee to provide legal assistance should the refund be denied. I didn't need it, but I know from experience when dealing with the govt, you need all the help you can get.

For "Do-it-yourselfers":

To file my taxes for free I went here:
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Do-Your-Federal-Taxes-for-Free" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I chose the "Income above $58,000" option — although my income is vastly less than that — because it has all the many schedules and forms I need:
http://www.irs.gov/uac/List-of-Available-Free-File-Fillable-Forms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That link goes to:
https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which is what I used. It has forms 8936 and 8911 (and 6251, alternative minimum tax, needed for "tentative minimum tax" for form 8911). It allows for free electronic filing. My return was 20 pages this year, so rather complicated, and it handled it fine.

This is best for those whose returns are similar to the previous year, so that one can use that return as a model. And it helps to be comfortable with finding and using the IRS form instructions (available as pdfs on the IRS website). Those of us who are older will remember using the IRS tax booklets back before tax software became available. This is similar except that it will do the arithmetic and will carry entries from one form to another. But it has no "interview" or other help like the commercial tax software programs.

FWIW. Because of my complicated return Turbotax would have forced me to upgrade to their $50 premium version. No sale, I don't need the hand-holding.

Back