eco mode

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
epic said:
i drive in eco mode 99% of the time. is this an issue of any kind?
No. I drive in Eco mode 100% of the time. Nissan says you will get about 10% better range in Eco, but actually you can probably get the same range using either mode if you drive properly.

I also use Eco 100% of the time. There are no issues.

I'm sick of the tendency nowadays to make the accelerator "touchy" so that cars seem fast. Eco removes that. I also like having more regenerative braking when I take my foot off the accelerator. I can do more single-pedal driving that way.

I have no idea why September believes D offers better range. It doesn't make a difference.

He is either just funning with you or is misinformed. Depending on your driving style and drive specifics, it is possible that Eco may not give you more range, but it rarely, if ever, will give you less than D.

BlacklickBob said:
Er, September, could you say a little bit more about getting better range in D than ECO? Seems counterintuitive.

garsh said:
Me, too! Agreed, no issues.
garsh said:
I also like having more regenerative braking when I take my foot off the accelerator. I can do more single-pedal driving that way.
Agreed.

But I must say that after getting used to (mostly) single-pedal driving I was thrown off guard yesterday when I left my house with 100% charge and headed to the stop sign about a half mile away. When I let up on the accelerator in the LEAF the car did not slow down AT ALL. Since we rarely charge to 100%, I was not used to feeling zero deceleration in the LEAF (or any other car I have ever driven). It took me about a second to get my bearings and realize I was going to need to use the brakes! :eek:

garsh said:

I'm sick of the tendency nowadays to make the accelerator "touchy" so that cars seem fast. Eco removes that. I also like having more regenerative braking when I take my foot off the accelerator. I can do more single-pedal driving that way.

I have no idea why September believes D offers better range. It doesn't make a difference.

D mode is too touchy for me also. I drive in ECO all the time, and pop into D mode when I need a "turbo boost", like with passing, or merging into traffic.

rumpole said:
garsh said:

D mode is too touchy for me also. I drive in ECO all the time, and pop into D mode when I need a "turbo boost", like with passing, or merging into traffic.

Forgot to mention, the kids like it too ;)

garsh said:

+1.....I agree 100%

Some think ECO uses less energy. Except for climate control moderation, not so. It requires X amount of energy to go Y MPH - ECO or D.

I find myself doing a lot of "shifting" - ECO, D, and N. ECO for braking; I just wish there was a third "B" mode for greater regen. Generally D on freeways and 55 MPH roads, ECO on others.

rumpole said:
garsh said:

+Infiniti on D for boost when passing/on ramp. I tend to use D also when down to 20 miles for pure fun.

Ian B

First, you DO NOT need D for "extra boost" on the highway. When you floor the accelerator, you get the SAME amount of power, D or ECO.

Second, ECO uses less energy for the climate control, not for driving at a given speed / acceleration. This only really makes a difference when it's really hot or really cold outside.

Third, quick acceleration is what kills your range. ECO discourages you from using it, but does not prevent it (see also my first comment). Thus ECO "trains" the driver to be more efficient. It's 99% psychological.

Finally, there's regen. It's more powerful in ECO than in D. In certain cases, this is less efficient. Take cruising on the highway. If you're cruising at a constant speed in a hilly area, it's actually more efficient to let the car gain speed (kinetic energy) down the hills and use that extra energy to help you climb the next hill. If you use regen instead, you are converting kinetic energy to chemical energy (in the battery), which you then convert back to kinetic (in the motor). While efficient, this process is still less so that simply converting the kinetic back to potential as you slow down a little climbing the next hill. This is the only thing I can think of that would support September's claim that D is more efficient.

BlacklickBob said:
Er, September, could you say a little bit more about getting better range in D than ECO? Seems counterintuitive.

Thanks.

When you take your foot from pedal on D, car would roll much further than in Eco. That means your car kinetic energy is used to move car and not converted with losses into chemical energy, where again it will be converted with losses to move your car. D is best to move car, and Eco is best to stop or slow down car rather than using friction breaks.

I primarily use Eco Mode because it simply makes the car more pleasant to drive. You can modulate speed to a greater degree just by use of the accelerator pedal. That's less work and more responsive in traffic than shifting back and forth to the brakes. The more you anticipate speed changes, the more you can accommodate them with the throttle and that itself reinforces efficient and safer driving.

In situations where you're cruising but still too busy for cruise-control, I find Eco makes it easier to keep the speed from wandering.

I really don't see any reason to prefer D unless it really bugs you to flex your ankle a bit more. :D

September said:
BlacklickBob said:

Thanks.

When you take your foot from pedal on D, car would roll much further than in Eco. That means your car kinetic energy is used to move car and not converted with losses into chemical energy, where again it will be converted with losses to move your car. D is best to move car, and Eco is best to stop or slow down car rather than using friction breaks.

FWIW, you seem to be assuming that when not accelerating, the driver has their foot off the pedal. It is possible to coast in either D or ECO mode (unfortunately difficult in both). Finding the sweet spot is best done with the energy usage screen.

Again, the difference in efficiency is 99% psychological, 1% climate control ;)

September said:
When you take your foot from pedal on D, car would roll much further than in Eco.
There are two solutions to this. One is to leave your foot on the pedal at the "no regen/no accel" point. You can get pretty close by looking at the dash bubbles, or even closer by keeping an eye on the nav system's energy screen.

I usually prefer option #2: put the car into neutral. I do this when I have a long downhill run that's not too steep. The quickest way to put it into neutral is to shift into reverse. The car will beep at you and shift immediately into neutral. Keep in mind that there is no clutch, so this won't hurt anything - it just tells the motor to do no regen or accelerating regardless of the accelerator pedal position. :cool:

Back