Electricity provider may help more...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlestonleafer

After reserving my LEAF last month I decided to contact my Electricity provider to see if they had any programs in place for EV charging. They informed me that they could install a second meter, and would basically give me a 30% discount on all electricity used to fuel my LEAF. The catch is, they charge you $20 a month just to have the second meter. I did the math, it came out to be the same whether I did their program or just charged at my regular rate. Then a few days later I'm contemplating the install of the charging unit in my detached garage, and I realize that my electric meter is a lot closer to my garage than the breaker panel which is on the second floor. I don't know much about electric meters and how they work, but when they install the second meter, would I be able to run power directly from the meter to the charging unit, or to a sub panel?

Oh sure . . . they'll install a meter alright. Right after you bend over and install a $1,300 meter socket (average price between the 3 bids that we got for the cost of installing the socket into our outer wall ... only then, we told SCE to go pound sand). Gee let's see . . . if I save $10/month on electricity (to help the utility company actually) ... I'll recover the expense that it cost to have an electrical contractor install the socke - in what ... 8 or 9 years? Sure - they'll install it. Whoop-de-do - you plug the meter in for cryin' out loud ... maybe 30 minutes work ... if you work as slow as me. Nice work if you can get it.
:lol:

charlestonleafer said:
...I don't know much about electric meters and how they work, but when they install the second meter, would I be able to run power directly from the meter to the charging unit, or to a sub panel?
It depends. If it's truly a second service with the new meter connected to the mains, then you'd HAVE to have a new panel (not really a "sub" panel since it's not connected to a main panel) to hold the circuit breaker. What I ended up with (SDG&E) was subtractive metering. The meter was attached to a 40a breaker in the main panel, then to a required exterior disconnect, then to the wall outlet. No subpanel. Billing calculation is handled by subtracting the reading from the second meter from the first.

Okay, from what I gather, it sounds like I will be able to get power from or near the new meter. If that's the case it would work better for me since they install it for me for free, and it will be closer to my detached garage. Also, a second meter would help me keep track of the monthly cost for fueling my Leaf as opposed to my monthly cost of gasoline.

Back