Europe parliament prepares draft for CHAdeMO phase-out 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kubel said:
it annoys the hell out of me when corporatism steps in and uses the force of the state to get what the free market is not accepting.
'Corporations' fail to manufacture a whole host of stuff that I, and a lot of other people, would want. They don't have to. They are in competition with each other to make as much money as possible, not in competition for consumer's expectations and happiness, much as that might not fit with your, and my, world view of what we might want corporations to do.

The alternative is that consumers get the state to force corporations to produce what consumers want. err. ......

kubel said:
... uses the force of the state to get what the free market is not accepting.
You might want to soft pedal that a little. I guarantee that without government stepping in, we would not have electric cars, and therefore no need to argue about charging standards.

Yeah, how many Leafs would be sold with no federal or state subsidies, or mandates, of any kind...

davewill said:
kubel said:
... uses the force of the state to get what the free market is not accepting.
You might want to soft pedal that a little. I guarantee that without government stepping in, we would not have electric cars, and therefore no need to argue about charging standards.

please forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question, but would it be possible to build an adapter? It seems to me that the power portion should be common to both standards as it is DC going directly to the battery. All you'd need to do is build a computer chip to translate the language of one standard to the other, and have a male plug of the losing type and a female socket for the standard that ends up getting adopted.

No, unfortunately it is considerably more complex than just that...

johnrhansen said:
please forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question, but would it be possible to build an adapter? It seems to me that the power portion should be common to both standards as it is DC going directly to the battery. All you'd need to do is build a computer chip to translate the language of one standard to the other, and have a male plug of the losing type and a female socket for the standard that ends up getting adopted.

^^^^

Why is that? Is there any different power conversion going on? I suppose it would be hard to do because companies don't disclose all the details of their specifications and everything needs to be reverse engineered?

TomT said:
No, unfortunately it is considerably more complex than just that...
JH has a good point to chew on, though - WHY is it more complex that just that? It is only as complex a task as the designers design it to be.

If different operators do want to run with the 'freedoms of the market' for their plug standards, then, OK, but could there not at least have a base standard that can be modified to be interoperable. Perhaps standardise the 'feed' specifications within the vehicle, and then have a plug-plate that is removable/refittable to be readily changed to another plug standard as a matter of routine service request.

kubel said:
I am in favor of a single plug...

I'm not. They are two types of "fuel", AC and DC. Why should they be the same plug? This new plug is two also, they are just crammed right next to each other.

johnrhansen said:
^^^^

Why is that? Is there any different power conversion going on? I suppose it would be hard to do because companies don't disclose all the details of their specifications and everything needs to be reverse engineered?

No, everything is disclosed, but it's complicated. It's an entire communications protocol, so the adapter would need would need to speak to both and mediate the discussion. Plus, the adapter would need to keep both sides waterproof and safe with hundreds of volts going through the two joints and not be gigantic. I mean, I'm sure it could be done if you threw enough money at it, but there's no way that kind of project would be profitable to any company to take on.

North East Euro MP Fiona, who sits on the Industry Committee in the European Parliament, said: "CHAdeMO quick chargers are not going to be banned.
"I will be working to make sure that the legal text states clearly that CHAdeMO chargers will continue in use and that the new regulations from 2018 are all about introducing multi-standard chargers so that all types of electric vehicles are catered for.
http://fionahall.org.uk/en/article/2013/713537/no-electric-car-charger-ban-hall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is good news. CHAdeMO is officially recognized as one of multi-standard quick-charging standards in EU even after 2018.

ht2 said:
http://fionahall.org.uk/en/article/2013/713537/no-electric-car-charger-ban-hall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is good news. CHAdeMO is officially recognized as one of multi-standard quick-charging standards in EU even after 2018.
I don't understand how that is different to anything that has come before it.

There was never a suggestion that CHAdeMO would be banned that I could see. She has simply clarified that misinterpretation others seem to have made.

The draft legislation proposes the introduction of a new, additional quick charger called Combo

.. per my comment above.

The whole thread seems to have been predicated on 'Inside EV's misjudged interpretation of the facts. Best not to repeat press articles, and then believe them?

This update from Tesla might help the CHAdeMO side of things a little bit...

http://m.green.autoblog.com/2013/10/07/tesla-model-s-headed-to-chedemo-with-1-000-adapter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How is that meant to stay in place, mechanically speaking, on the diminutive Tesla socket with a heavy CHAdeMO connector hanging off the other end? Is there a locking mechanism to stop someone stealing it?

Back