EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSH

Several months ago EV-ChargeAmerica received a very negative review on this blog, even though their residential product was not yet on the market. Since that time I have been in touch with Bob Rosinski and Lee Murray at EV-ChargeAmerica. They were very surprised and disappointed at the negative comments about their coming product. I was so impressed by them that I decided to give them a chance, especially after deciding NOT to go with AV after their expensive quote. And, their unit is very affordable.

Since then I have had multiple phone conversations and emails with Bob and Lee; I have been impressed by their friendliness and apparent sincerity in wanting to come out with a great residential product. Previously their experience was at the commercial level; as I understand it, they have provided charging stations at several Nissan dealerships and other commercial venues. Well, that residential product is now available and mine arrived yesterday.

The things that drew my initial interest are very apparent; very attractive and very sturdy unit (rated for indoor or outdoor use), and PORTABLE. Yes, it just plugs into a 50 amp size 220 outlet with 40 amp capacity. Because my plug is inside my garage and my evse is outside my garage, I had my electrician do the installation because it was going through the wall. But that would not normally be necessary. The security system is by FOB activation. The cord is 20 feet. My unit says it is ready to charge my car, but unfortunately I don't yet have it; it may show up in the next week, but who knows for sure. I don't want to wait that long to try it out.

I am looking for a couple of nearby leaf owners who are interested in driving down to Laguna Beach this Saturday, around midday, to try it out, see if it actually works, and provide their own unbiased opinions about it for posting on this site. I told Bob and Lee I would invite a few members over and ask for honest assessments to be posted. This will either help spread the word about what looks at this point to be a great alternative, especially for those living in a condo or non-permanent situation, or kill this product once and for all if the feedback is negative. They were excited for the opportunity. Anybody out there up for the challenge? If so, send me a message and we'll arrange a meeting at my house. I attempted to post a photo of my installed unit, but failed. Will be happy to repost if directed on proper technique.
Thanks,
RSH

Just to add links to the other threads for those who are interested.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2041
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1177

I hope it works out well for you. I noticed they still haven't received UL listing for the EV2104 yet, but I'm glad to see that they're shipping something that might function properly. Hopefully they went away from using those solid-state relays though and went to a proper contactor. As Ingineer noted, a lot of electricity would be wasted in heat from those if put in actual use.

I'm glad that they chose to communicate with you and hopefully improve their reputation as my multiple attempts have apparently fallen on deaf ears.

DarkStar said:
I noticed they still haven't received UL listing for the EV2104 yet,

Bob told me specifically that their parts are UL listed. I asked that question directly.

Yes, the PARTS they use to make the unit, but perhaps not the completed UNIT.

Just because a part is "Listed" and rated for 20 amps (with adequate mounting and ventilation) does not mean that the design respects those limits or requirements.

If the UNIT is not labeled as "Listed" (specifically for the purpose of EV charging), I would advise considerable CAUTION in using it.

Has "Bob" given you permission (in "writing", perhaps an email) to open it up for inspection (without voiding your warranty)?

If not, there will be very limited value in examining it, but we can do a little simple testing on Saturday afternoon.

I apparently asked too many questions about their EVSE, and they quit communicating with me.

Their Dealer Application prohibited the dealer from saying ANYTHING negative about their unit, to the extent that I could NOT even sign their Application.

I have emailed Lee and asked them to respond either directly to me or directly on the site to the excellent questions that have been posed. Hopefully, your questions will be answered very soon.

I even asked for permission to open the unit for inspection purposes.

RSH said:
Several months ago EV-ChargeAmerica received a very negative review on this blog, even though their residential product was not yet on the market. Since that time I have been in touch with Bob Rosinski and Lee Murray at EV-ChargeAmerica. They were very surprised and disappointed at the negative comments about their coming product. I was so impressed by them that I decided to give them a chance, especially after deciding NOT to go with AV after their expensive quote. And, their unit is very affordable.

RSH

I think one of the main issues was no response from them, their push to sell by a specific deadline for delivery and not delivering, sending a demo unit rather than a new unit, etc. etc. It's nice that you were told the parts were UL listed, anyone can purchase UL parts and box together an EVSE but that does not make the unit UL certified, ask if the unit has been UL tested and has UL certification. If the unit is UL listed it should say so on their site. What commercial installations do they have specifically, what Nissan dealers use their product exclusively? This is a commoditized product that will be dominated by big players and even grabbing a few quick contracts or sales does not make a company solvent for long-term support. I don't doubt you can buy a working unit from them at a lower price, the question is at what risk? Affordable is a subjective term when there is no support down the line or a unit does not truly compare to other products on the market and the company is basically a startup in a highly competitive market with a product that relies on economies of scale and good support and longevity not to mention safety testing.

garygid said:
RSH,
Did you send their EVSE back?
What is their next step?

Hi Gary,
I did return the evse and am waiting for them to return the unit with a new plug. I hope to receive it by the end of this week. Mr. Rosinski provided me a picture of what he inferred was the new plug; it looked very similar if not identical to the Nissan plug. I certainly hope that my impression is validated on arrival. I will report my findings as soon as possible. I remain hopeful for a happy ending. In the meantime, I am charging with my Nissan provided 120v charger without any problems.

RSH said:
garygid said:
RSH,
What is their next step?

Hi Gary,
I did return the evse and am waiting for them to return the unit with a new plug. I hope to receive it by the end of this week. Mr. Rosinski provided me a picture of what he inferred was the new plug; it looked very similar if not identical to the Nissan plug. I certainly hope that my impression is validated on arrival. I will report my findings as soon as possible. I remain hopeful for a happy ending. In the meantime, I am charging with my Nissan provided 120v charger without any problems.

What is the "plug" issue?

EVDRIVER said:
RSH said:
garygid said:
RSH,
What is their next step?

Hi Gary,

What is the "plug" issue?

Please read beginning of this thread and also: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3603&p=85553#p85553 pertaining to a type of evse plug that does not release properly from the Leaf.

I am still waiting for their UL listing, which they promised to send to me.
Before that I am not willing to install.

The "plug" in question is the J1772 connector (plug, "nozzle") that is to be plugged into the J1772 socket on the car.

The supplied plug "mated" too strongly with the LEAF's socket, and it could not be disengaged from the LEAF without using tools.

More non-functioning Level 2 EV-Charge America EVSEs:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?7758-EV-Charge-America-2200-2-2&p=71144

Good news is that San Antonio Downtown Parking garages have installed 5 EV Charge America EV-2201-2-2 Combined Level 1 & 2 Charging Stations...Bad News is that they don't seem to recognize the Volt. I tested 2 and they both stop functioning on "Vehicle Connected"....then nothing. One did state that charging had begun, and the amber light on the Volt was on...but three seconds later the display on the charger went blank and the amber light went out...then the display on the charger came on "Vehicle Connected" and nothing...no lights on the Volt....My Volt indicated that it was plugged in, but nothing. These were both tests on the Level 2 side....Will try the Level 1 120v side tomorrow...Also Engine Malfunction is now on...I will call OnStar about it tomorrow....I'm in my garage now set up to delayed charge on the 120v EVSE seems to be ok. The garage engineer gave me a pass to all the garages to test these units....Anybody know anything about these units.

...Bad News is that they don't seem to recognize the Volt...
Sounds similar to the symptoms that kept the Nissan L1 EVSE from working with the Volt. The problem seems to be the fault of the Volt giving up on the EVSE before it's ready to enable AC output, but it's inexcusable for a new commercial EVSE not to have been tested with and made to work with the Volt.

Back