EV Charging Stations at Safety Rest Areas

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mchamberlain

Hello,

I am working to have Electric Vehicle Charging Stations installed at state operated rest areas between large metropolitan areas. To accomplish this the language of Title 23, Part 752.5, part(b) and part(g) of the Code of Federal Regulations regarding rest areas along interstate highways needs to be amended to allow the states to charge the public for use of the Electric Vehicle Charging Stations. As written the states could install the Electric Vehicle Charging Stations but they cannot charge the public for their use. Some states like North Carolina have installed stations and are waiting for the regulations to catch up. Others like the Texas Department of Transportation are waiting for the change in legislation before making a decision.

The best time to make this change is right now since a new transportation bill is making it's way through congress. Please contact your Senators and Representatives and ask that part(b) and part(g) of Title 23, Part 752.5 of the Code of Federal Regulations be amended to allow states to install, operate and charge the public for access to Electric Vehicle Charging Stations at rest areas along interstate highways.

Find your Senators and Representatives:
http://www.house.gov/ - Enter your zip code at the top right
http://www.senate.gov/ - Select your state from the list at the top right

Title 23, Part 752.5 can be found here:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2010-title23-vol1/pdf/CFR-2010-title23-vol1-sec752-5.pdf

The new transportation bill can be found here:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d112:hr7:

Thank you for your time,
Michael Chamberlain
[email protected]

Frankly, I'm a bit dubious. If you are thinking of L2 stations, they would only be useful for people planning to sleep overnight in their car. Not only is that likely to be a bit uncomfortable, and unrestful due to noise and light, but I think most governments frown on using rest areas that way. So, maybe you are thinking of QC stations. I see three problems with that:
  • US auto manufacturers are likely to try to block it since they don't like CHAdeMo.
  • that's a very hefty investment for a rest stop, especially since you may want two so people don't have to wait. (How many gas stations have only one pump?)
  • Rest areas are usually in rural areas which are unlikely to have enough spare power to run a QC station, let alone two concurrently.

Ray

The interesting aspect here is the ability to both charge the car quickly as well as charge for the service -- w/o an L3 charger, how long realistically would/could someone stay at a rest area trying a L2 charger, it isn't very practical. I've been in several areas throughout the south, midwest and east and each state does these differently; that is on limited access tollways and freeways you have rest areas that are 'full-service' with gas stations and restaurants as well as those that don't have much, some designated as for trucks only and basically it's an unpaved pull off with just trash can.

When we traveled north from Chicago to my son's college in the MI U.P. (Mich Tech Univ in Houghton) up through WI once you get past Milwaukee, there are basically 3 rest areas you'll see, one with regular rest rooms, a vending machine just before Green Bay, then two with Kybo's ... that's it! Otherwise you'll pass various gas and diesel stations. Over through Iowa on the way to Lincoln, NE they have 'normal' rest areas (no gas service though) but free WiFi --- go figure. In any case, if the rest area has refueling service already (and I believe these are probably leased back from the road authorities, like a concession) those already have some infrastructure where a 3rd party could offer L3 charging service for a fee --- I think this is already starting on the IL tollways.

Building on an existing infrastructure is really the key here -- the interstates have 'modified' when a need arises, I can still remember very few 'car' diesel pumps back in the late '90's when we had our '98 New Beetle TDI and how careful I needed to be at truck stops with their high flow pumps before they started offering the slower flow diesel pumps alongside the gas pumps. The big rigs have huge fuel tanks, diesel cars not so much.

mchamberlain said:
As written the states could install the Electric Vehicle Charging Stations but they cannot charge the public for their use.
Where are you getting this interpretation from? Do you have an official report from a reviser or legislative working group?

Good morning,

The effort does not address the type of charging equipment for the rest areas. It is focused on giving the states the ability to charge the public for electricity consumed at rest areas. State DOTs will decide if the site is suitable and what type of equipment is appropriate.

Thanks,
Michael Chamberlain

mchamberlain said:
It is focused on giving the states the ability to charge the public for electricity consumed at rest areas.
So the concern is that the electric motoring public will be getting away with free electricity? I just don't see that restriction in the current legislation. Again, could you please provide an official review on the current legislation that supports your opinion.

jamesanne said:
mchamberlain said:
As written the states could install the Electric Vehicle Charging Stations but they cannot charge the public for their use.
Where are you getting this interpretation from? Do you have an official report from a reviser or legislative working group?

No, part (g) of title 23 section 752.5 reads:
"No charge to the public may be made for goods and services at safety rest areas except for telephone and articles dispensed by vending machines"

Thanks,
Michael Chamberlain

There are already vending machines at many (even most?) rest stops. Use their service, pay a fee which varies depending upon what and how much you buy.

How would a vending machine that sells fee-based charging "packets" be different?

I think that Safety issues are greater around here, where the rest areas can be a hangout for the sales of illegal substances.

Staying overnight will NOT fly, so L2 is essentially useless at these locations.

QC is very useful, just like gas stations, BUT the available AC power will likely be a significant issue, that could be investigated without asking for a law change.

mchamberlain said:
jamesanne said:
mchamberlain said:

"No charge to the public may be made for goods and services at safety rest areas except for telephone and articles dispensed by vending machines"
So this contact/amendment campaign is based on your interpretation of the current legislation? There are multiple states installing public chargers along interstate highways, I-5 for example. Where and what are the challenges that you are encountering to promoting rest stop chargers?

jamesanne said:
mchamberlain said:
So this contact/amendment campaign is based on your interpretation of the current legislation? There are multiple states installing public chargers along interstate highways, I-5 for example. Where and what are the challenges that you are encountering to promoting rest stop chargers?

Yes it is my interpretation. The stations along the I-5 corridor are planned for retail outlets in the vicinity of I-5 not safety rest areas operated by the Washington and Oregon departments of transportation. Same for the I-40 corridor in Tennessee.

Thanks,
Michael Chamberlain

mchamberlain said:
<snip>

Thanks,
Michael Chamberlain
This is easy** - consider the EVSE as a vending machine. Just install units that require either a card or a telephone call (like Chargepoint). Then even if the electricity is free, one still has to go through the 'vending' process.

** Ok, This is 'simple' - maybe it's not 'easy.' :D

N1ghtrider said:
mchamberlain said:
Some states like North Carolina have installed stations and are waiting for the regulations to catch up.

What has been North Carolina's experience with the sort of problems mentioned in Ray's previous post?

Ray's problems all apply to L3 charging, and unfortunately the 4 charging stations (at 2 different locations) installed in NC are all L2, and therefore pretty much inappropriate for EV use.

It's too bad too because they sited the charging stations "properly" at rest areas mid-way between cities that would have made them ideally sited to allow travel between those cities.

I do agree that if we are correctly looking ahead towards L3 charging, then we do need to worry about the issue of who pays for it and ensure that the erecting agencies are able to charge for the electricity usage as that is going to be far more significant than the small amount people will get in an hour from an L2 station. Believe me when they installed those charging stations and the grand opening a month ago hit the press there was plenty of public outcry that EV owners were filling up at the expense of taxpayers. While that argument barely has a leg to stand on when we're talking L2, even if a state has plenty of goodwill and is willing to install L3 chargers at rest areas, I would still want to pay a fair price for its use rather than be accused of stealing from Joe ICE driver!

I have a question though: the New York State Thruway has rest areas that have not only gas stations but gift shops and restaurants as well. I believe NJ has rest areas with similar amenities. If there is some federal prohibition against this, how are they getting away with it? Is it because it's part of the New York State Thruway system (a toll road) and not just the fact that it's also Interstate 90 and Interstate 87?

I would not dismiss the L2 stations quite so quickly, they can be very useful at times.

Lets say that I am on my way home late at night and I am about 20 miles from home but the meter is showing I only have 10 miles of range. In this case I would stop at the L2 station just long enough to get enough juice to make it home safely and life is good.

I agree that it is doubtful anyone would want to stay 8 hours for a full charge, but driving home is much better than walking.

planet4ever said:
Frankly, I'm a bit dubious. If you are thinking of L2 stations, they would only be useful for people planning to sleep overnight in their car. Not only is that likely to be a bit uncomfortable, and unrestful due to noise and light, but I think most governments frown on using rest areas that way.

I don't see a problem with L2; it only has to get you to an L3 charger. 1-4 hour naps are fairly common at rest areas, and at 6.6 kW that's 24-96 miles or so, very useful for a short-range EV. Make 'em solar-powered with a battery bank for the more remote ones.

One smart decision NC made on the Rest area charging stations it installed is that they are on the ChargePoint network. So, if the law does change they are already setup to use the "pay" network thru ChargePoint.

I will say the rest areas in NC makes it possible to move between Raleigh and Greensboro/Winston with only a 45 min stop, not an overnight stay. And we'll use it on the way south for the same 45 min to go south on I95 at Benson.

Make them free or pay, either way i don't thing any users will mind. If it makes the public more accepting great, it's only a few bucks anyway.

Hello everyone,

I would like to just put in my two cents on this issue. I agree with the statement that the auto manufactures are pushing back on making the CHAdeMo connector standard other then the leaf and Mitsubishi i. I feel that any Auto manufacture that thinks that consumers are going to rest stops or anywhere else to wait hours to charge enough to return to work or home are going to be left out! Any state wanting to allow consumers to travel longer distances are going to need 2-3 level 3 charger for every level 2 installed on highways and city centers. If you csn not charge in less then 30 mins. then its not going to work! Not all level 3 (fast chargers) require large investments, such as the one at http://www.evcollective.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for example.

I hope this helps some of you with future discussions. Best regards,

Surprisingly poor website from a Japanese company.

EV Collective
A Division of Kanematsu Corporation
1615 Wyatt Drive, Santa Clara, CA 95054, United States

E-mail: info[at]evcollective.com

About Us

Developing Markets. Delivering Value.

Kanematsu Corporation, a listed company for Tokyo Stock Exchange, was founded in 1889 in Kobe, Japan. Kanematsu contributes to the development of the international economy through its expertise in global trading and its domestic and international networks. Kanematsu Corporation has successfully grown to a global network of 146 business units in 40 major cities. Kanematsu's major segments include: power solutions, solar polymers, geothermal plant projects, electronics, automotive parts, marine products, aerospace, mobile commerce, specialty metals, industrial chemicals, textiles, coffee, meat, grain and dairy.

Visit our corporate website at http://www.kanematsu.co.jp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back