EV parking "Vigilantism"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timhebb

My new policy for addressing this issue, when "EV-Only" signage is conspicuous and clear, involves leaving an informative flyer of my own devising under the offender's wiper blade, removing one or more of his vehicle's tire valve stem caps, and relieving the tire(s) of about half its inflation. I keep the caps as a souvenir of justice served.

The first time I enforced this policy, I noted upon returning to my LEAF parked in a nearby space that the offending vehicle was gone, and my informative flyer discarded on the garage floor, pretty clear evidence to me that the offense was deliberate and willful, and the offender guilty of littering, in addition to his/her other infractions. I made a mental note to collect all the remaining valve stem caps and liberate a good deal more air from the vehicle's tires the next time I discovered it in flagrante delicto.

This zero-emission driver is rapidly adopting a zero-tolerance policy for willful ICE-age criminals.

MOD NOTE: Thread split from Gas Cars in EV spots -drees

timhebb said:
My new policy for addressing this issue, when "EV-Only" signage is conspicuous and clear, involves leaving an informative flyer of my own devising under the offender's wiper blade, removing one or more of his vehicle's tire valve stem caps, and relieving the tire(s) of about half its inflation. I keep the caps as a souvenir of justice served.

The first time I enforced this policy, I noted upon returning to my LEAF parked in a nearby space that the offending vehicle was gone, and my informative flyer discarded on the garage floor, pretty clear evidence to me that the offense was deliberate and willful, and the offender guilty of littering, in addition to his/her other infractions. I made a mental note to collect all the remaining valve stem caps and liberate a good deal more air from the vehicle's tires the next time I discovered it in flagrante delicto.

This zero-emission driver is rapidly adopting a zero-tolerance policy for willful ICE-age criminals.
Vandalism of the sort you suggest—lowering tire pressure can lead to early tire failure—is hardly a helpful way to address the problem. The ICE driver may well take out his frustrations by keying the next LEAF he sees. Pissing off ICE drivers seems like a losing strategy since there are vastly more of them than there are EV drivers and a certain small percentage have a screw loose to begin with.

I guess I'm glad I don't have to deal with it here: no charge stations to ICE and nobody around here even knows that EVs exist, except my friends.

dgpcolorado said:
timhebb said:
My new policy for addressing this issue, when "EV-Only" signage is conspicuous and clear, involves <snip> relieving the tire(s) of about half its inflation. I keep the caps as a souvenir of justice served.
Vandalism of the sort you suggest—lowering tire pressure can lead to early tire failure—is hardly a helpful way to address the problem. The ICE driver may well take out his frustrations by keying the next LEAF he sees. Pissing off ICE drivers seems like a losing strategy since there are vastly more of them than there are EV drivers and a certain small percentage have a screw loose to begin with.
+1. Vandalism or any sort of "retribution" aside from enforcing existing law is not acceptable. Especially half-way deflating a tire. You are very likely to cause a severe accident should the driver take a corner hard and found that their car no longer handles or cause a tire blowout on the highway.

Both circumstances could easily lead to an accident and death. Don't do it. You give all other plug-in owners a bad name.

What you're doing isn't justice. It's reprehensible. Be better than that.

Just use one of the existing stickers that the police use (many stores sell them), just put a quick note on the "offense" line: "illegal parking in BEV space", checkmark "license plate recorded" and the time.. Make it a bit vague so you dont actually lie and use the stickers with the nasty adhesive, they are a pain to remove. Those stickers are usually available either with mild or an aggressive adhesive.

Illegal-Parking-Violation-Sticker-D-2053.gif

Signs are great! Nice work on updates!

Plead to all folks who would take matters further and do harm to an ICE.
DO NOT DO THIS!!! You only exacurbate the issue and potentially put yourself and the ICE owner in real peril! "Two Wrongs..."

Live to charge another day!

If anyone ever tried that with me or I saw someone doing it to someone else, I'd call the cops, perhaps take a picture, pull the security tape if necessary and there was one, and file charges to the full extent of the law. Depending on the jurisdiction, such behavior could get you arrested for criminal mischievous, vandalism, or a number of other things... In some places, it could also get you shot! Leave a note and walk away! It definitely is NOT acceptable behavior and people have been killed for far less!

Oh, and guess what one of those "vigilanted" drivers is going to do the next time he is back and sees an EV in one of the spots?! The driver of that EV will be lucky if all he gets is flat tires...

timhebb said:
You're right. You've convinced me that only fully deflating all the tires, and clearly informing the driver in a note on the windshield, is acceptable procedure.
That reduces the chance of injury to near-zero, and ensures the ICE-head will connect the dots.

TomT said:
If anyone ever tried that with me or I saw someone doing it to someone else, I'd call the cops, perhaps take a picture, pull the security tape if necessary and there was one, and file charges to the full extent of the law. Depending on the jurisdiction, such behavior could get you arrested for criminal mischievous, vandalism, or a number of other things... In some places, it could also get you shot! Leave a note and walk away! It definitely is NOT acceptable behavior and people have been killed for far less!

timhebb said:
You're right. You've convinced me that only fully deflating all the tires, and clearly informing the driver in a note on the windshield, is acceptable procedure.
That reduces the chance of injury to near-zero, and ensures the ICE-head will connect the dots.

You guys seem to be obsessed with death as a consequence of someone deflating tires. First it was a somewhat far-fetched deadly fantasy accident, now it's death as retribution for relocating air. Seems you'd like to see me, or someone, killed.

So far I've only enforced the policy in the People's Republic of Santa Monica, where I suspect the judicial system would look with equal disfavor on both parties (though hopefully tilted a bit in my direction).

Just curious, TomT, would you become as agitated and activist if you witnessed an ICEr in action? You do realize that the quantity of air I'd displace in my infraction is minuscule compared to the amount displaced by an ICEv when parked in an EV-only space?

timhebb said:
You guys seem to be obsessed with death as a consequence of someone deflating tires. First it was a somewhat far-fetched deadly fantasy accident, now it's death as retribution for relocating air. Seems you'd like to see me, or someone, killed.
People are crazy. I mean, you're suggesting that willfully vandalizing someone's car is OK to do if they park in front of a charging station.

timhebb said:
So far I've only enforced the policy in the People's Republic of Santa Monica, where I suspect the judicial system would look with equal disfavor on both parties (though hopefully tilted a bit in my direction).
I do believe you are delusional.

SeattleBlue said:
Hard to believe this forum advocates this type of discussion even in jest.
Should one want to incriminate themselves in a public forum, I am not going to stop them, though I will discourage them from behaving in such a manner in the future.

timhebb said:

I assumed this thread was humorous from the get go..

You know deflating the tires of another car is FAR more likely to get the perpetrator killed than driving 55mpg in LA.. How do you feel about driving 55?

Great.. all this is going to do is make those people seek revenge on EV drivers. So next time I park my EV in one of those spaces, I may have my car vandalized.

Sometimes we are forced to vigilantism because it is the only way to protect your interests when the law enforcement is toothless and ineffective. I would favor the green violation sticker with a good adhesive.

I have had my blood boiling/teeth gnashing moments on getting ICEd, and what is even more frustrating is the my impotency and unable to do anything to even let the perpetrators know that they are in the wrong. It is not the fact that I am being denied my much needed charge, but the fact that the same driver could park the next day right there and show his middle finger to me, and I can't do anything about it - that makes feel small and leaves me very angry.

Thread should be properly titled "EV Parking Vandalism" so we are clear what is being discussed/advocated here. Aside from the safety aspect, illegal behavior is not going to win the "hearts and minds" of ICE drivers. Perhaps satisfying to the individual, but totally counter-productive.

i want a device that makes me able to vaporize anyone and everyone who pisses me off in car-related matters; that includes driving to annoy me and ev-related snubs -- especially tailgaters who dont like it when i drive 65 mph in the HOV lane.

Clearly you don't, can't and/or wont get it so I see no point in continuing this imbecilic discussion. A (non-destructive) sign or note on the offending vehicle is sufficient.

timhebb said:
Just curious, TomT, would you become as agitated and activist if you witnessed an ICEr in action? You do realize that the quantity of air I'd displace in my infraction is minuscule compared to the amount displaced by an ICEv when parked in an EV-only space?

SeattleBlue said:
Signs are great! Nice work on updates!

Plead to all folks who would take matters further and do harm to an ICE.
DO NOT DO THIS!!! You only exacurbate the issue and potentially put yourself and the ICE owner in real peril! "Two Wrongs..."

Live to charge another day!

Pissing off ICE drivers isn't the solution. The solution is thoughtful placement and signage (including painting the space) of ev parking spaces. The best spot for an ev parking space is NOT right next to the handicapped space, in the single most desirable place, it's far from the exit where fewer people park. If the space is in the most desirable place, it's begging to be ICE'd. Remember, we're still in the very early days of ev's. Most people have completely unaware of them. If an ICE drivers first introduction to ev's is getting their tires flattened by an irate ev driver, guess who's going to hate ev's forever. You never get a second chance to make a first impression, etc....

Blink recently came out with some notices you can leave under the offending cars wiper. And, I do like the green sticker mentioned earlier, although I would leave it in a non-destructive manner.

I'm also reminded of a recent comment left on the Washington Post web site, where a guy claimed to get a huge thrill out of unplugging ev's parked at the Dulles Airport parking garage, and seemed to enjoy the alarm it set off on the Volt. I would just prefer no one touched anyone's car, other to leave a sheet of paper under the wiper.

SeattleBlue said:
Hard to believe this forum advocates this type of discussion even in jest.
We don't and I encourage the forum admins to treat this kind of "advocacy" with no tolerance. This thread should go, and if the OP won't desist, so should he.

WOW! I wondered what types of behavior would result with EVs becoming more wide spread. I must admit I didn't think of this.

This is WRONG on too many levels to list. IF I was a conspiracy nut I would say that oil companies are going to start hiring people to do this sort of thing in order to stop businesses from wanting to install chargers.

Organize a group of EV drivers and go to City Council meetings, call the Police every time you get iced and complain, anything but this.

I hope this is a BAD joke.

I agree. This type of discussion should not be on this forum.

I have only experienced this mildly (one spot ICEd, one spot open) in a poorly signed location. Yes, it is irritating but I would only go as far as leaving a note, educating about EVs, or asking the person to move if present. I wonder if in certain locations it might be possible to "double-park" and have the cord still reach? In such a case, I would stay with the vehicle, waiting until the ICE owner arrived. Perhaps the better "vigilantism" would be to re-paint (like diagonal slashes) the parking spot so that it is much easier to see that it is for EV's only.

Reddy.

you guys border on the line of ridiculous here.

OP is not worth the time to comment.

Signs? great idea.

abbreviations and acronyms? bad idea. do not use "BEV" use "electric car charging station"

sure it maybe stating the obvious, but I (who has EXTENSIVE experience in missing the obvious) think a reminder works fine in most of these situations

Back