EV system warning light while driving; won't restart

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the same part number as the one I replaced. Mine came from jdmpartsman714 on E-Bay. It is now 1300, way more than I paid, I don't know why the price jump. I did see other places online for around 400 which seemed OK. I ordered the E-bay one for faster shipping times.

If it is the same pump that failed (based on part number it is), then it is really easy to replace. It is the one on the passenger side fender. I do recommend using a turkey baster or similar to get coolant out of the tank above it, then unbolt the tank so it can move out of the way a bit. Then, pull pump up through there and disconnect the hoses once it is at highest point in system - I lost a few drops of coolant, not much at all.

The pump on driver side is a little more involved, I think have to remove 12v battery, but still not that crazy.

All in all, took less than 1 hour, probably closer to 30 min.

The DTC that is thrown should show pump 1 for passenger side. You can check by listening to pump to see if it is running. There are 2 pumps, one under 12v battery (pump 2 I believe) and on passenger fender (pump 1).

Dave,

While the DIY repair should be rather simple, I would argue with Nissan that the coolant pumps should be covered by the EV system warranty since those pumps are strictly for the onboard charger, inverter, DC-DC converter, and motor (all are clearly EV system components).

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
Dave,

While the DIY repair should be rather simple, I would argue with Nissan that the coolant pumps should be covered by the EV system warranty since those pumps are strictly for the onboard charger, inverter, DC-DC converter, and motor (all are clearly EV system components).

Gerry

That was my statement to the Dealer. To no avail. However, I'll be taking the issue to Nissan. Will post gory details here.

cwerdna said:
I can’t speak to the earlier problem but the latter could be a dead 12 volt. If you had a voltmeter, you could've confirmed the voltage of the 12 volt at the times when you tried to power back on.

Mine 5/2013 built ’13 had its 12 volt bite the dust in Oct 2015: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=440106#p440106 and some replies between it and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=440419#p440419.

Ditto. Fairly certain with the age of the vehicle and the miles you just need a new 12v battery. All kinds of things won't work right when the car exprects 12v and gets 9.

Back