EV System Warning Light

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Techie0212

Could not see a similar post ... just woke up to this CARWING message of charge being stopped ...

Last programmed charge was disrupted and this icon was on the dashboard ... Exclamation point over outline of automobile. The charge unfortunately is low and the issue is what next ...

Happened on my 2012 back in March. Nissan sent a tech to the dealer to assess. Eventually they replaced an ECM (?). Problem solved. It's an apparently very expensive part, hence the Nissan visit before they did the repair. Unfortunately they gave me an SUV as a loaner. What a pig!! I only drove it to and from the dealer. I guess if I were an SUV fan I would have been happy but I would have prefered a Versa if I couldn't get a Leaf.

I had this problem on my 2013 Nissan Leaf SL. It started happening after 5 months and around 7500 miles of use. Not really sure what triggered it, but the symptoms where that it would stop charging before reaching 100% of charge. I first noticed when I had it on a 2 hour overnight timer. It stopped charging about 30 minutes earlier than usual and it had not reached 100% charge yet. I tried a couple of times with the timer off, I noticed it would normally stop charging around 7 or 8 bars of capacity. I also noticed that every time this happened the EV System Warning light would come up. This light goes off after powering down and powering back up the Leaf. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it with a "Warranty Update". Here is the actual job description:

"Check and advise P316C PD MODULE SYSTEM, PD3170 PD MODULE SYSTEM, P3171 PD MODULE SYSTEM AND B29C1 EVSE SIGNAL INVALID. TSB NTB13-069 FOR INCOMPLETE OR NO CHARGING AND ADDRESSING CODES PERFORMED TSB AND REPROGRAMMED PDM"

So this was actually fixed applying Technical Bulletin NTB13-069 http://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b357872/

Thank you yortch! This just started up with my Leaf, only 4200 miles. Hope it's not the start of more troubleshooting to come, because I love my car! The forum is great. Now I can go to my dealer tomorrow with KNOWLEDGE! My wife's Leaf has the clicking sound. Both sound like minor fixes fortunately.

This same thing just started happening to our Leaf twice this weekend. I am not getting the charge interrupted message from Carwings (I think I have to change something in the car menu). Without that message there would be no way to tell that anything had gone wrong until you start up the car. I have a few other smaller issues that I need to have addressed with the car so I guess I need to take it to the dealer. That is a bummer.

I have a very similar problem with the EV System Warning Light... the battery stopped charging at 29 miles from 8 miles. I am bringing it to the dealer on Monday. Did anyone has a resolution for this issue?

I look my LEAF to a dealer and they had to update some codes for the charging module. It works so far.... I will wait for a few day and charge and will give you a status update. My friend had an exact issue. code update for the charging module did the trick. Will hope it will do the trick for my issue as well.

Just wanted to add that I've been intermittently seeing this issue with my 2013 Leaf SV as well, and it seems to have started around the 4500 mile mark. The first dealership service center I spoke with seemed inclined to keep blaming the charging interruption on the charger brand etc., so I called another dealership that was much more helpful. They said there was a service bulletin out for the code update, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this resolves the issue just as it seems to have done so for everyone else here.

I got the warning light today after a public charging session. Took it to the dealer this evening for diagnostics. I did read the DTC Codes and shared those with the dealer. The two codes do appear to correspond to two attempts to charge without success after which I switched public charging units and it did charge.

I have a 2011 with 35,800 miles.

The faulty Blink unit maybe the culprit, but I took it in anyway to be sure it didn't damage anything in the charging circuitry. When I first plugged the charging nozzle in the car did not beep like it does normally, and after scanning my RFID card and initiating a charge still no beeps and charging never started. Unplugging and replugging still gave no beep on the faulty unit. If the car checks out OK, I'll report the bad Blink unit.

DTC Codes below
DSC_2925.JPG

Update: 2013-11-12
Got the car back from the dealer. They researched the codes they read on the car and came to the conclusion that the problem was with the public charger. Reset the codes, charged the car, washed it and gave it back to me. At least it didn't cost me anything and I got a free loaner for the day (thanks to Security+ extended warranty).

Now I know the code VC-95 is fairly benign, if it occurs again after a failed charge at a public EVSE I'll feel it's safe enough to ignore it.

I just bought a second leaf yesterday (2013 SL) at a dealer 200 miles away (because I'm in an area with few or no EVs). I had lots of trouble getting the car home because even at 40 mph it was only getting 60-70 miles range. While charging it did some funny things, it would charge only 3% in 15 minutes, then 20% in 20 minutes all from the same charger. At some times it seemed erratic in how the SOC would decrease while driving. Toward the end of the trip I got the turtle mode symbol for no apparent reason. This afternoon, I got turtle mode again, the EV system warning light, and then "Motor Power is being limited, Service is required. Please consult your dealer". Just had it towed to the local dealer.

Any ideas what is wrong? I figure it was just delivered this way, and no one had driven it enough for the errors to show up.

JPWhite said:
I got the warning light today after a public charging session. Took it to the dealer this evening for diagnostics. I did read the DTC Codes and shared those with the dealer. The two codes do appear to correspond to two attempts to charge without success after which I switched public charging units and it did charge.

Had a similar problem with a ChargePoint (public) charger a few months back. I moved on to another (AE) charger where it both charged and cleared the warning light. I have to say I was pretty concerned, but the code cleared and haven't had a problem since (and haven't returned to that CP charger).

flarend said:
This afternoon, I got turtle mode again, the EV system warning light, and then "Motor Power is being limited, Service is required. Please consult your dealer". Just had it towed to the local dealer.

Any ideas what is wrong? I figure it was just delivered this way, and no one had driven it enough for the errors to show up.

Those final errors and messages obviously indicate something is seriously wrong. There's no way to "diagnose over the phone" and you didn't mention any other specifics (how many miles/how long was it on the lot?), but it would be nice if you posted back with the result/fix.

I'm not really expecting an over-the-phone diagnosis. I'm more interested in whether this particular error message combination has come up before or frequently so.
This is a car that was literally just bought (I had it for under 24 hours before towing it to the shop!). It had ~250 miles when I bought it, I drove it 200 miles, and I charged it 5 separate times. Adding to my angst, is that the service manager at my local dealer admitted today that they "haven't really worked on many leafs yet" (I read that as NONE), and that they only have one tech certified to work on it anyway. This tech is on vacation this week, so the car won't even be looked at until monday. In my mind that puts them 6 days out of 30 to the path of a lemon....just to get started. I'm sure they will get it fixed, I just hate being without my new toy.
Another minor issue that I'll need to resolve is with the loaner. I don't care what loaner they gave me, but I already told them I expected to be reimbursed for all the gasoline less 3 cents/mile. Has anyone else had success with that.

This is just a followup for anyone searching this warning light issue in the future. According to my local dealer, and I say this because my new Leaf has other issues that are still unresolved, and may or may not be related, they did a VIN search and found that my brand new leaf (only 1 day old) had a recall on it that required some type of upgrade. The way it was explained, it sounded like a software upgrade that was required on just some leafs. They did this and the EV warning light is gone as is the turtle mode problem. The remaining problem dealing with range I will search the forum and post in the appropriate location.

Back